Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Sierra C-4 bullets

Banned

Sierra C-4 bullets

In my 30 pound mess of bullets is an open box, well what's left of it, marked Competition 168 gr International H.P. the bottom of the box is marked C-4 Competition. Sierra number is #2200.

My Google fu is not finding anything and I have two styles of bullets in the pile that are different than the typical Hornady/Sierra 168's.

Any ideas?

Boolit Master

I'm not sure but my old fuzzy memory seems to think the C4 refers to the jackets used in manufacturing the bullets. I'm sure someone will come along with a clearer memory.
    Take care,
    Rick

Banned
    Rick, are you thinking of the J4 jackets.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    IIRC the C4 bullet was produced on military contract and had a 9 degree boat tail of 1/2 caliber length, similar to the military M118, instead of the shorter, steeper boat tail of the commercial 168s.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    IIRC the C4 bullet was produced on military contract and had a 9 degree boat tail of 1/2 caliber length, similar to the military M118, instead of the shorter, steeper boat tail of the commercial 168s.
    That would make sense. That would have been before the 175 grain bullets were introduced.

https://www.snipercentral.com/history-m118-ammunition/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    In my 30 pound mess of bullets is an open box, well what's left of it, marked Competition 168 gr International H.P. the bottom of the box is marked C-4 Competition. Sierra number is #2200.

My Google fu is not finding anything and I have two styles of bullets in the pile that are different than the typical Hornady/Sierra 168's.

Any ideas?
    Were they in brown boxes? That is/was normal for their test/experimental bullets.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...-about.452455/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    I just looked at the Sierra manual. They were 168 grain first used in international competition in 1959. The #2200 bullet is still around today in 168 and 175 grain weights. So, it appears that the fragment of a box I have is from that early 1960's period and new packaging has eliminated the international competition part.

Boolit Master

Yep, In was busy being born in 1959 so I told you my old memory was fuzzy!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    I just looked at the Sierra manual. They were 168 grain first used in international competition in 1959. The #2200 bullet is still around today in 168 and 175 grain weights. So, it appears that the fragment of a box I have is from that early 1960's period and new packaging has eliminated the international competition part.
    The 168 is #2200. The 175 is #2275

https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...mm-168-gr-tmk/

https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...pbt-matchking/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-19-2021 at 01:57 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer