RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanently Marking Ingots ----------- Again

Boolit Grand Master

Permanently Marking Ingots ----------- Again

I know many of us have started marking our ingots. I've been using steel stamps for a good while but have not found a really good way to fasten 2 together to form initials like WW, PB, ect. I've used "C" clamps, turn-buckels, ground rod clamps, ect but nothing really worked great. I mean, they would be ok for 15 or 20 ingots but would eventually get loose. Well, I bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight and tack welded a few together. I started with the basics, PB and WW. I used an upside down "M" for the 2nd "W".

A few weeks ago me and Biggin had our annual smelting day and stamped 616 ingots at the end of the day. They worked great, wish I had done this sooner! Oh yeah, I bought the 3/8ths size.

If you guys are not marking your ingots I encourage you to start. Sooner or later they will find a way to get mixed up.

Years ago, I began writing on them with a marks-a-lot or sharpie.

I think the sharpie ink soaks into them.
    It sticks like poop on a baby blanket, and even the real old ones haven't faded much.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    tape works great for me to hold the stamps together

Boolit Master

I just wrap the stamps in tape. Been using painters tape lately. Stamped close to 5 or 600 and hasn't torn or fallen off yet. Just hit both stamps with the hammer and your done.

Boolit Master
    I just take an old ball point pen and firmly write on the ingots.

The ball makes a nice visible groove in the surface.

Boolit Master
    Okay, I would go way, WAY simple. Pure Lead would be "P". Wheelweights would be "W". I leave linotype in it identifiable form or I would mark it with an "L". Being a former software writer when every character carried a performance or storage hit, never use two characters when one will do the same job. It is only three or four characters one would have to commit to memory.

Boolit Master
    Way, WAY simple would be to simply mark the box the ingots are stored in. This ain't rocket science.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Way, WAY simple would be to simply mark the box the ingots are stored in. This ain't rocket science.

Don
    It ain't rocket science but boxes fail, plastic buckets fail, ink fades. Stamps usually don't fail. I'm glad you are happy with your boxes.

I use a couple of rubber bands to hold the stamps together. It don't take long if you line the ingots up and get your cadence going.
    Looking for USGI M1 and carbine rifle parts, please PM me.

Boolit Master
    I think my ingot marking stamps are the 1/4" sets, also from Harbor Freight. I got three sets to have enough letters and numbers to keep on hand several non cryptic designations and content. I duct tape together up to three. The tape works better than any other non permanent quick fix I've tried so far (zero welding skills here, and, anyway, I have too many temporary stamp combos to want everything permanently welded up).

A problem is that the stamps are not a uniform height, not even from the same set, and with the tape the stamps shift relative to each other. End result is one blow to the set may leave deep, light or no impressions all at once. I now just use the tape as an extra set of fingers and tap each letter separately to get the best legibility.

Boolit Master

I just pour my ingots into different 1lb factory ingot molds.
    Lyman = #2
    Saeco = 20/1
    Ohaus = Linotype
    etc,
    I have the legend printed inside the cover of every Reloading manual I own.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Wheelweights and Linotype I leave as-is until I need some. I did melt down several hundred pounds of X-ray shielding once. That's the only lead I have in ingots.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I think my ingot marking stamps are the 1/4" sets, also from Harbor Freight. I got three sets to have enough letters and numbers to keep on hand several non cryptic designations and content. I duct tape together up to three. The tape works better than any other non permanent quick fix I've tried so far (zero welding skills here, and, anyway, I have too many temporary stamp combos to want everything permanently welded up).

A problem is that the stamps are not a uniform height, not even from the same set, and with the tape the stamps shift relative to each other. End result is one blow to the set may leave deep, light or no impressions all at once. I now just use the tape as an extra set of fingers and tap each letter separately to get the best legibility.
    Yeah, I had to use the letter end to square them up and then ground on the other end to even them up.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I just pour my ingots into different 1lb factory ingot molds.
    Lyman = #2
    Saeco = 20/1
    Ohaus = Linotype
    etc,
    I have the legend printed inside the cover of every Reloading manual I own.
    I envy you having that many molds! When I have a smelting day I run 7 molds but 2 is the most I have of one kind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I know many of us have started marking our ingots. I've been using steel stamps for a good while but have not found a really good way to fasten 2 together to form initials like WW, PB, ect. I've used "C" clamps, turn-buckels, ground rod clamps, ect but nothing really worked great. I mean, they would be ok for 15 or 20 ingots but would eventually get loose. Well, I bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight and tack welded a few together. I started with the basics, PB and WW. I used an upside down "M" for the 2nd "W".

A few weeks ago me and Biggin had our annual smelting day and stamped 616 ingots at the end of the day. They worked great, wish I had done this sooner! Oh yeah, I bought the 3/8ths size.

If you guys are not marking your ingots I encourage you to start. Sooner or later they will find a way to get mixed up.
    good fix with the upside down M. I was wondering how you got two Ws out of one set until I reread your post. Glad I reread before posting something stupid.

For what it's worth I cast my COWW and SOWW separately and use CW and SW. It works for me, but wonder if it will make sense to other folks after I'm pushing up daisies.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

i stamp them as well... I just use the stamps singally as meant to be used.

if you are worried about handling too many stamps.. just stamp them alphabetically.. then have a laminated chart.. a= this b = this.... etc.

Boolit Buddy
    I mark each Ingot with Roman numerals l-V-&X are easy with a 3/4 cold chisel. Batch makeup is just listed in my reloading book.

Number stamps are no doubt handy, especially if you have made up special mixes for future...I don't have any idea why I marked both ends of these tiny ingots...old'Farts are strange critters at times!

But for large batches now I like the idea of labeling the 'key' ingots with the details and end marking the ingots with a rattle can...

More and more I like to keep that lead stacked tight & use the least amount of my precious floor space as I can...

I am so done with these muffin tin ingots in the background.

I think we might tend to go overboard marking our ingots, like the guy said..."containers fail" & so does 'memory'...so were 'anal' about identifying stuff heh?
    What's wrong with anal?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    I just use a center punch and no marking = COWW, 1 strike = SOWW, 3 dots right next to eachother = Lino.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I just use Gorilla Tape to hold the 2 or 3 letter stamps in the right order (PL, COW, RL. etc) and it has worked for me for many years. One whack with a 2# mallet and the ingot is marked.

I alos use paint on the ends of my ingots to mark them for easy ID when stacked. I NEVER use muffins or odd shapes!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast