Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: First six cavity mould on the way

First six cavity mould on the way

I just ordered my first six cavity Lee mould. It is for their .358 158 grain plain base boolit. I have the same mould in a two cavity version. Powder coated it makes a very good boolit for my .357 carbine. I have never used a six cavity mould before. Are there any tips I should know?

Jim

Boolit Master

Make sure the mold is up to temp before filling all 6 holes, or you will bust the sprue cutting handle for sure. Either pre-heat some how, a hot plate works, or dip it in the lead(but be careful about overheating) or just start with 1 hole and cut, then 2 then 3, and let it heat up slowly.
    Using 2 stroke oil as a lube on the pivots and the mould/sprue plate mating surfaces helps also. Just wet with a q-tip, doesn't take much.

Boolit Master

Just do ezactly what Springfield said and you should be good to go.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    I have a 6 cavity Lee mould and found that the only way to cast 6 good bullets at once, was to pre-heat the mould on a hotplate.

Aluminium heats up a lot quicker than steel and the Lee 6 banger mould has a big steel sprue plate.

Glen Frixell wrote a good article on how to produce good bullets from a 6 cavity mould.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...dleMusings.htm.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

ukrifleman.

Thank you all.

Boolit Grand Master
    I scribble all over the sprue plate with either a lead pencil (graphite actually) or soapstone, to ensure the sprues don't stick.

I also take the take the sprueplate off (when cold) and lube the pivot area with anti-sieze. Works for me.

The biggie: no matter how tempting it is to hold the third handle to ensure the sprueplate is closed, don't do it. You will cause the mold to open slightly and get out of round boolits.

You do need to ensure the sprueplate is fully closed and the cam resting against the mold block, but don't try to hold it there.

Good luck,

Robert

I use a hot plate to get my molds to temp

I found that the 6 cav. required a faster cadence. Also, if there is any resistance to opening the sprue plate: do not force it. The solution is more heat (the hot plate at 400 degrees works for me). A thermometer helps to keep the hot plate honest.

Boolit Grand Master

Have more than a 5 or 10 pound capacity pot .
    20 pound capacity is about the smallest you want ... 6 cavity moulds can use up a lot of alloy . When the alloy is hot and the mould hot ... spend time making boolits .
    With a small capacity pot ... you waste a lot of time waiting for the alloy to come up to temoerature .
    A hot plate can keep the mould hot but won't make up for a small pot .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I've got a Lee six cavity of their little 105 gr. swc. I preheat mine on the glass top stove while the pot melts. Get 6 perfect boolits pretty quick this way.

Boolit Master
    Disassemble and clean thoroughly, check cavity edges for burrs. Before putting together rube drop or two of synthetic 2 cycle oil on the top of the mold and bottom of the sprue plate, or plug cavities with cotton balls, tissue etc and lightly spray mold release on top and bottom of sprue plate. Check edge of sprue plate and deburr if needed. When assembling a small dab of aluminum or copper anti-seize between the sprue plate and mold at the pivot point will prevent galling. A drop of two cycle oil on the hold down for the sprue plate and a light wipe of oil at the contact point of the sprue plate and hold down washer also helps. NOTE: There will be wear on the sprue plate where it rubs against the hold down washer, this is normal.

Before using don't forget to lube the alignment pins and and pivot for the sprue cutter handle. About every 200 bullets or so do it again along with a very small drop of two cycle oil on the sprue plate pivot. If think you got too much on the pivot wipe off excess so it doesn't migrate into the cavities. Q-tips work great for reaching between the block when applying oil.

All of my pistol molds are Lee 6 cavity and my experience is they need to run with the alloy a bit hotter than what worked for 2 cavity steel molds. Preheat on a hotplate to @ 400 deg and with alloy @700-725 deg you should get good bullets almost from the first pour.

Boolit Master

I owned my first 6 banger for a year before I dared use it. It was before I got on to Castboolits. It is a H&G 68 Lee copy with a bevel base and It is a dandy mold. You , the OP , now have the collected wisdom and experience gotten from probably hundreds of years experience and possibly millions of boolits cast. You'll do fine.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Thanks again, everyone. Because of the recommendations on this thread I have ordered an electric hot plate.

Boolit Buddy

I agree with all above. 100% on the 2 cycle oil. I would also add allen screws to the sprue pivot bolts. If not your mold will self destruct pre maturely. There are tutorials in the faq section. I do not use a hot plate. Not saying its wrong. I dip mold in melt to pre heat. Randy.