MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: New Mossberg. New to me anyway. And a round ball load.

Boolit Master

New Mossberg. New to me anyway. And a round ball load.

It all started when My son in law got himself one of those shockwave otherguns. Then he needed some ammo and told me he wanted number 4 buck to shoot in it because he read that that was the most effective defense load. I had gotten him some #8 one ounce loads thinking the recoil would be manageable. So he shot those all up and seemed to manage okay. He is not previously a gun guy and I wanted him to start easy. Mission accomplished. So I had some .69 balls and contrived to re drill an old mold to make some "buck shot" and ended up with cylinders of about .28, I can stack 9 of them in a AA 1 1/8 oz wad. I used some international powder at a charge weight one grain less than the load listed on the can for 1 1/8 oz loads in AA hulls. They go bang, and give about a 3' pattern at 25 yds , which makes it strictly a short range load.
    Naturally the round ball was the next thing to try. I used the same hull , wad, and powder charge, but put a 20 gage card wad under the ball inside the AA wad cup. These proved to be a pretty useful combination. I could hit a full size silhouette at the 25 yards with only a bead front sight. I loaded all these with my Lee loader kit and was happy with the result.

So the next step was getting a short gun to shoot these and I wanted something with a butt stock. A Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel showed up at my favorite gun store and I got it. Recoil is snappy but not out of the fun zone.

And the upshot of that is I have to load up some more of the round ball loads . And don't you know, I sold off that mold a few years ago so I will have to replace it when I can. I have a few of the balls left so I am not dead in the water yet.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

If you cut a thin strip of white medical tape you can attach it to the receiver curve as a reference line for windage. Then adjust for center impact. Once that point is established a thin line of white enamel or nail polish will last for a long time easily refreshed.
    Our groups shrunk nicely and only cost some fun shooting.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Interesting idea!!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE