MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 32 Winchester Special

32 Winchester Special

So I'm going to be scrounging up supplies to reload for a friend.

They have an old Winchester in the 32 Special.

I've reloaded many score of thutty/thutty but not the 32, anything I need to look for out of the ordinary? Any tricks?

Thanks
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Buddy
    If he also has a 30-30 I would suggest you find 32 special brass. I f you make the 32 from 30-30 brass they're hard to tell one from the other.
    Bill

Well I talked him out of his 30/30 brass, I like things marked correctly.

If I really can't come up with anything I will resort to that since he doesn't have a 30/30 but for now the hunt continues.

Brass is easy to find, ya just gotta be willing to pay for it.

Boolit Master
    Starline makes 32 Special brass. Rim thickness on Starline is .058 so fits better than my older R-P and W-W brass that is .054/.055 on the rim. The .32 Special is one of the best cast bullet calibers, I run 185 and 200 grain bullets, sized .323, but .322 would probably work. I am using 5744 but have had good results with 4227 for mild loads and H4895 for full power. A full power 200 grain 32 slug does work better than the 30-30 for hunting stuff bigger than rabbits. For full power, Accurate 2015, IMR 3031, Tac,, BL-c2, and some others all work well. I have a bunch of Accurate 2200 and it looks very promising for full power, Leverevolution also works very well, but I have only used with the 170 Speer and 165 Hornady Flextips. I use just enough crimp to keep bullet from seating deeper in the tubular magazine, my scoped(4-16x) Marlin 336SC .32 will stay MOA to 200 yards with a .323 gas checked flat nose from Matt's Bullets.
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 05-16-2021 at 10:35 AM.

170 gr. .323” FN bullet of your choice ,with a GC the Leverovultion powder is tough to beat for top velocities. 10 grs. of Unique is very accurate with same 170 gr. FB bullet. Win.94 20” . I’m going to get some of that Scrapline brass , the Hornady .32 Special brass is good too.

Slug the bore if you can. May need a fatter boolit than .323 to get the best accuracy.
    Never trade luck for skill.

I've always been a fan of Starline brass.

I've used some of the new Hornady 165 grain Flex Tip in my 30/30 with nice results.

Well I'll get my new 45 Colt project settled and then tackle this one.

When I get brass and dies lined up I'm going to ask for the rifle for a couple of weeks (they live two hours away) so I can do some load development and such (slug the bore).

All good advice, thanks!
    Last edited by dddddmorgan; 05-16-2021 at 09:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    All of the above. I also have a Win in 32 WS. The major difference compared to the 30-30 other than bore is that the 32 WS has a slower twist than the 30-30 (mine is 1:16). That means you can easily get to higher velocities with lead compared to 30-30 without over-twisting the lead. The only other difference in my 32WS that might not apply to your case is that I never crimp my cases-- they last longer that way. I know some will be horrified, but I have done the engineering calculations to determine necessary neck tension to make crimp unnecessary, and have run 9700 un-crimped rounds through my Win 94 so far with no issues.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Accurate 32-160g over 30 grains of 335 gives great accuracy in my 1940ish 94.