RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Building a portable bullet backstop

Boolit Grand Master

Building a portable bullet backstop

I recently got the OK to shoot in the land behind my house from the property owner who owns the field. I'm very excited to have my very own range, except there are two caveats. #1, it is flat here. If you have never been within 30 miles of Aberdeen, you don't understand flat land. #2, I can't build anything permanent. This means I can't pile up a big dirt backstop or something similar. I've got it planned out that the safest way to shoot is diagonal to the tree line. This means that the bullets have to go through about 200 yards of trees for a ricochet. Behind those trees is a slough and swamp land maybe 500 yards across. Behind that is another field, and finally a road with a house. All in all, from where I intend to shoot from, to the nearest house (which the house is a good 30 degrees off from the direction I would be shooting) is about one mile. In MN, I would have no problem shooting freely in such conditions. There would certainly be a hill, and if that didn't work, there would be much more woods for protection. With land as flat as can be here, and with minimal woods, I just don't know for sure. I feel like a handgun bullet shouldn't ricochet that far, but I'm not going to bet on it.

I've been throwing around Ideas for a simple portable backstop. By portable, I mean it must be removable by hand when I move. I can leave them out there all year. At first I was thinking something like 55 gallon drums. My concern is they are a little shorter than I would like. Trying to stack them two high, and then fill all those with something seems like a ton of work and materials. One idea I'm really leaning towards now is a wooden box filled with rubber mulch. There are all kinds of smaller scale versions out there, so I'm thinking why not make one slightly bigger. My thought is to build one with 2x8's for thickness, meaning there would be 7 1/2" of rubber mulch to stop a bullet. From what I've seen, this is adequate for the handgun, shotgun slug, muzzleloader ball, and lower velocity rifle rounds I intend to use. I would then use 3/4" plywood on the back, and on the front I would on the inside sandwich a thick rubber mat of some kind to self heal the holes, and then 3/8" plywood on the outside of the rubber to keep the integrity. I'm guessing I'll have to replace that 3/8" plywood from time to time. I'm thinking 6'x6' will be an adequate sized backstop. I will have one at 50 yards, and 100 yards. The real beauty of this I see, is at the end of the season, I can dump the mulch out, and recover all my bullets. So what do you guys think about my backstop idea?

This is a different idea, but what about a small stand, maybe built like a trailer (I know you said it has to be hand moveable)?

If it raises you a few feet, now you will be shooting into the ground, at some distance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Building a portable bullet backstop

I’m not an engineer by any means and your idea sounds good but very pricey. Lots of replacement panels and loss of structural integrity if your going to be shooting a lot but I could be wrong on that

If your going to dump it out every year to recover your bullets why not just use regular mulch, lay it out in your flower beds each year once dumped and now you can use it to beautify your house too (making possible significant other happy in the process).

A simpler idea, I would think, would be to just create a angled frame with either a end-jointed row of 2x4s or two layers of 3/4” plywood. This would create about 1-1/2” of pine to travel through. The angles part of it would also cause bullets to deflect down towards the ground. This is a similar concept to how bullet traps use a angled metal back panel to collect your bullets and reduce velocity. Could cover the backside with a tarp, paint, or shingles to protect the wood surfaces from the elements and increase longevity. Could than buy a panel of steel to attach to underside in most likely strike zones to increase longevity further. Doesn’t have the bullet recovery feature but this “lean-to” idea has benefit of simplicity and easy disassembly (upright box frame, angled plywood sheets screwed to it). Given the swamp you mentioned nearby I’m assuming the ground has a lot of moisture, may consider raising the back edge off the ground a inch or so, not enough to allow deflected bullets (or bad shots) to go anywhere but the dirt but enough to keep wood from contacting the moist ground).

For bullet recovery you could throw in some sand in the bottom in the areas where you see your bullets deflecting into the dirt and just sift the sand periodically.

Targets can be hung on a foam board that is hung on the flat opening of the “lean-to”.

Not 100% sure on this idea but it works in my head and I watched a soft body armor ballistics lab get designed and built by my dad and some of these concepts are similar to other labs out there (but they use concrete and steel which isn’t an option here).
    Last edited by StuBach; 05-16-2021 at 05:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    The wooden box with rubber mulch is a good idea, but is 8 inches enough ? I would try a mulch filled cardboard box first, too see just how far the bullets penetrate, before you build with lumber. You might want to put a scrap of plywood inside the back of the cardboard box so it doesn't blow out, and you lose the mulch.

Another idea is to drive behind the farm machinery dealers lots, as they usually have a pile of scrap wood from shipping crates and pallets, and they may give you permission to take it for free. I have found several nice boxes and crates at my local implement dealership, one box made a nice powder magazine.

When you make one, let us know how it works out for you. My bullet traps are hay bales lined in a row, not very handy to get the lead out of, but I know it is in there, when I need to recover the lead. Welcome to SD, I live about a hundred miles south of you.

If you have a place that uses conveyers belts go by and ask how often they change them. There use to be a small commercial pistol range in my area that used three or four layers of these in front of those giant cement blocks you always see at cement yards. The belts were steel lined like an old steel belted radial tire and did an effective job at slowing the bullets down. If you could drape these in front of some sort of wooden back stop, like railroad ties, 6x6's or something of that nature, the belts should protect the wood and all you would have to do is replace the belts when they got shot up. The wood would be removeable although not easily.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sand is a much better stopper than mulch.
    Don Verna

My first backstop was a 55 gallon drum, I plugged the bottom 1/3...later found that pistol rounds will eventually penetrate 12 to 20"...they keep going progressively deeper from impact.

I cut the metal lid just wide enough to screw this 1/4" plywood on the edge. This part has to be replaced from time to time depending on use. I stuffed all the plastic bags that the rubber mulch came in behind the plywood to keep the mulch from coming out as the plywood blew out. Worked great...

I cut this floor mat and stapled it onto the plywood, makes a good surface to put targets on, staple the targets with 1/4" staples...this last for a while and is easy to replace but it helps to make clean holes in the paper. Cardboard will do the same if you replace it often.
    The black pile behind is the rubber mulch & I think I used 8+ bags. Rifles will not penetrate fully the depth of this mulch.

I mounted the drum on this old wagon as I like to move this to keep the grass mowed in front of the backstop.

This is the backstop, it'll stop pistol rounds quick as the RR ties are oak but I think rifle will get through...here I don't shoot much rifle now other than the .22lr BR.
    I spiked it together as I stacked the ties, put a 45º brace to the ground in the rear...

It is a two man job to get the lead recovered, a couple hours work, my brother helps with this, be sure to tamp the mulch tight as you replace it into the barrel...

It definitely pays off to recover the lead...this was the first clean-out...

I grew tired of the work of the cleanouts and decided to make a different backstop that was more user friendly...

I go around behind and grab the bucket of shredded lead and pour it into the ingot pot, you know the rest of the story after getting fresh ingots.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I once had a similar opportunity and problem. I solved the problem with five head high stacks of old tires, three along the face and two behind the gaps. I wired the stacks together and filled them with small gravel. Thought about using sand, and it would work, but shooting would soon blow away good size hole where sand would leak out. Loose gravel is a great bullet absorber, it won't ricochet and it tends to bridge open gaps better than sand.

When I left that place I took it all down. It wasn't hard to seperate the tire stacks for removal and it wasn't hard to spread the gravel into a thin layer that would soon sink into the ground.

Boolit Man
    Here's mine.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I've thought about using the 275 gallon IBC totes. Just remove the metal bracing on the front side and pack it with mulch or what ever. Can even put wheels under it and attach a hitch to it.

Been planning on building a backstop myself. Was gonna do the filled tires in front of a double thick railroad tie wall......but, after seeing the contraption built by OS OK, I think I'll be cruising the scrap yard for some suitable flat plate steel and a five gallon bucket..........thanks for the ideas.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by jgstrug View Post
    Here's mine.
    Jerry made one like that in the 70's, I think he still has & uses it...

Near PERFECT Lead Recovery! Bullet Trap Tested

Boolit Master
    Lots of good ideas here. One thing I'd add,, make it as big as possible.
    I own a range, and I also have visited many ranges. One thing that always amazes me, is the bullet strikes that are away from the "normal" aiming point.
    The 55 gallon barrel, on end, mounted on a trailer, with the RR crossties is a pretty good design. And the bullet trap designs, that allow the collection of bullets easily, are also excellent.
    Maybe a trap, for easy collection, and a stack of RR ties as "insurance" against errant shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    Been planning on building a backstop myself. Was gonna do the filled tires in front of a double thick railroad tie wall......but, after seeing the contraption built by OS OK, I think I'll be cruising the scrap yard for some suitable flat plate steel and a five gallon bucket..........thanks for the ideas.
    I wasn't going to elaborate on this catcher as the post was about a cheap to build & portable stop... but for you, since your going after the same idea I'll give you a little tutorial...it's pretty simple...I first drew it out on the shop floor full size to get all the angles right...

Cut it all from a sheet of 3/8" plate...I pre tested various plates and decided that the 3/8" will do fine 'IF I DON'T SHOOT RIFLE AT IT'...I have the barrel for rifle testing.
    I started tacking it together, keeping it square...

Put the collector on the back end...

Then went to town running continuous welding beads on both sides of all the seams...make the gap in the rear about 1.5 ~ 2" wide going into the collector in the rear...

Gave it a dose of 'Rattle Can Red Love'...

Me and Manny got the chainsaw out and modified the rail ties a tad & slipped it right into the backstop...fit perfectly..

Once in place & squared, I left it hooked to the truck with the comealong and started making the wood angle braces that hold it firm so it doesn't slip out...

I had to remove the 3" wide x 1/4" plates that are between the ties for the install but cut them up and put them back later. They keep me calm about any rounds slipping between the ties and escaping the backstop.

It was a bit pricey $-wise since I used a new sheet of steel...don't have any junkyards nearby to search for old plate or I would have done that. But over the years now it's replaced almost every bit of my lead I've shot into it with fresh stacks of ingots.
    The investment is years behind me now...all I do is enjoy having it to use...good luck with your build...make a post of the build so me and others can follow your progress.

Boolit Master

You or the landowner burn wood ? Guy here made a simple platform, stacked 3' lengths of oak several feet deep on the cut ends as the backstop to his target board(staggered to prevent gaps) . Shoot until they get ragged . If you want to recover the lead have a bonfire !

Boolit Grand Master

No, it is not wet and swampy. There is one small slough down range, on the next property owners land. It is wet at the bottom, but no, it is very dry here. I'm told we are in a drought at the moment too. When I moved here a few months ago, there wasn't even snow on the ground. I'm told Aberdeen is built on an old cattail swamp. The very odd thing I'm finding is that the water table is only about 5' below the surface. You can actually dig a deep hole by hand, and it will fill up with water. Even with water right there, the surface is very dry. Being as flat as it is, any time it rains, it just sits. Apparently it can flood bad sometimes, which is one reason I don't think I'll ever buy a house this close to the city. Get about 30 miles away in any direction, and you are in a completely different terrain.

I really doubt anyone burns wood for heat. I don't know how they could. The only forest I know of is on the far west end of the state, the black hills. All the trees here near Aberdeen were artificially planted as wind breaks. The tree line at my place is about a 50 yard wide strip, and it continues the full one mile length of the section. You can't cut them down, or we'd end up in another dust bowl.

I have thought about building a raised shooting platform, however, I don't think it would buy me much. If you have ever shot in low light with tracers, you would be amazed how much bullets will bounce. I believe I will be ok if I have a backstop to catch rounds. Even if one gets by, the chances are so slim that they bounce that far left or right, and then continue over a mile to the nearest house is so slim. In a straight line down range, they would have to go about 3 miles to a country club.

Used tires are a no-go. While removable, the owner says they are an eyesore, which is understandable. That, and if I ever abandoned them, he would have to pay to get rid of them. Wood can at least be burned. I had not thought about railroad ties. That might be a stupid simple solution. Simply stack them up, and nail them together. I'm seeing Menards has them for about $18 each, so I'd be looking at $400 total for two backstops. That's not the worst ever, considering the price of everything is high now. I could have them built in no time that way. I could then build a separate bullet trap. I do have access to heavy duty, and hardened steel plate. A snail trap would definitely be a good investment. In the meantime, a 55 gallon drum on a cart to catch 95% of the rounds would be a nice and simple way to do it.

Does anyone know where I could buy railroad ties for cheaper than a home improvement store does?

Also, mobile on a trailer would be ok. As long as it can be disassembled and disposed of without heavy equipment when I move, it can work.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 05-16-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Maybe there's a 'hump yard' nearby where they assemble trains...you might ask there.

Back in the 80's I landscaped a hill behind my house and got 175 ties for $10 each from a guy who said he got them from the Whittier Rail Yard in SoCal. You can see where the fish plates wore into the ties but that doesn't ruin them.

OS OK, thank you very much for taking the time to post the photos/explanation of your build. I will likely begin searching the scrap yard tomorrow for suitable plate steel.
    To megasupermagnum,
    I have a few places locally that do nothing but sell RR ties. Right now they are running at $15 each...... and I did find a post on Craigslist offering some free RR ties.....the photos show several piled in a field. The post is a month old, but I might give them a call anyway.
    Thanks to all for the great ideas.
    NRA Benefactor

The bullet catchers that are used in a crime lab are stuffed with fibrous material, which will stop any pistol bullet within two feet. I haven't tried this, but how about using discarded carpet scraps instead of rubber mulch. You can get all you want for free, and it could be used in sheets on top of each other, or chopped and dumped into the box.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

The reason I am leaning towards rubber mulch, is that according to the internet, the rubber floats. I have no idea if that is true or not. If it is, then recovering bullets would be a rather easy task. Sand is certainly an option, as it is inexpensive, and I could make a shaker table to separate lead from sand easy enough. I'm not sure about carpet pieces, that seems like it might be a tedious job to reclaim the lead.

So it seems the Menards $18 each price for RR ties is not bad at all, especially with an 11% off rebate. Everywhere else is higher. I'll ask around anyway. Aberdeen is known as the hub city, it is a junction for a lot of rail roads. I don't have a trailer setup to where I want to be hauling 25 RR ties long distance. I'm guessing they are around 100 pound each, maybe more.