Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case Separation -- Straightwall/PC'd

Boolit Buddy
    Pure lead is swelling and not letting case release bullet?

Boolit Buddy
    If the bullet is clinging to the case and carrying the front end away, perhaps the first thing to establish is whether the bullet and case are bonded before the shot goes off. A simple test is to try seating the bullets another .010" or so. If they are bonded they will resist and then go with a distinct click. This might or might not be enough to cause the rupture.

If they are not bonded prior to firing, then the theories of bullets upsetting to lock up the case, or case not being able to expand etc will have legs.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

I've lightly ALOX'd/dried a double handful of the PC'd projo's to test the lock-up theory.
    But the High Wall went lame last Sunday and I've got it at the Vet's right now.

BTW: I've had exactly the same thing happen w/ long-case (45-3¼) Sharps using paper patch/pure-lead using BP.
    `tis a puzzlement....

Boolit Buddy

The pure lead compressed enough to allow the torn part of the case to travel down the bore to the muzzle or exit the muzzle. I would think this indicates a significant amount of adhesion between the case and powder coat. If a tight neck condition existed the neck could be torn off, but I would not expect it to travel the length of the barrel.

You could make up some dummy rounds with and without powder coating and check for adhesion.

Interesting issue. I hope things turn out well at the vet.

Boolit Master

I recently broke down 70 odd .44Mags loaded with PC'd bullets. It took a LOT OF WACKS with a Impact Hammer to break the death grip that those bullets had on the cases. Once the bullet started out of the cases it took one wack.

Only straight case head separation I've ever experienced was with the very 1st box of .38Spl brass I ever bought. Nickel Winchester, a std load of #358495 over 3.0grs of Bullseye.
    Just a fluke.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

You could make up some dummy rounds with and
    without powder coating and check for adhesion....
    That ACC38-320E (DGL-lubed) is my standard/heavy BP loadout in that rifle.
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=11

Nary a problem....

I think that there is a deep-seating/surface area limitation associated with the adhesive
    characteristics of bare PC/brass under obturation/expansion pressure.
    I may have just found it.

Wax-based materials under high pressure turn more liquid
    Paint/PC materials under similar pressure turn more adhesive
    The expansion hydraulics of extremely soft/pure lead plays here
    The larger surface-grip area of big case/deep seating make it worse.
    (That's my theory and I'm sticking to it)

Of note: The pure lead bullets tore every neck off
    The 30-1 bullets (only slightly harder) tore off sporadic necks
    Last edited by mehavey; 05-22-2021 at 07:16 AM.

I use a 185gr slick sided in my 30/30, PCd and sized. Surface area is the same as yours, .5" vs .52". I use wire cutter to pull bullets and once in a while I totally destroy the nose pulling, alloy/PC is the same but didn't notice what brass (Win/Fed/Hornady). I've run pretty good loads (psi) with fast and slow powder, no separations. Conclusion (?): there are some 'glued' situations but not often. I've also run very hard and very soft alloy. Thinking factory annealing either is not right or not deep enough for your longer bullet. Looks torn, not the normal case separation. I blew the head off a 40sw case once (bad brass) and it had a ragged 'tear' similar to yours. I started using SS pin/wet tumble that cleans the inside neck and haven't noticed the 'glued' problem.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12