WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Manhattan style clam chowder (w/Keto variation)

Manhattan style clam chowder (w/Keto variation)

This works for folks in ketosis or not. If you're not in ketosis just use the first original recipe.

I search for recipes I can eat and make ahead. I also like recipes that have everything in one dish if possible. Today that means soup, but not just soup, chowduh (I live in Maine). But not New England chowder that is high in cow products. I wanted something with veggies. That meant Manhattan style chowder. I make the basic soup then add some sort of fish as I warm it before serving. To do that just leave out the clams.

Manhattan style clam chowder I

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large Spanish onion, chopped
    1 1/2 celery stalks, chopped
    7 cloves garlic, minced
    Pinch crushed red pepper
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    3 sprigs parsley
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 large waxy-style potato (about 3/4 pound), diced
    5 cups clam juice (five 8-ounce bottles clam juice)
    One 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes (with liquid), roughly chopped
    1-1/2 cups minced clams, drained (about four 6-1/2 ounce cans)
    1 tablespoon kosher salt or to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, and crushed red pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute more. Tie the parsley sprigs, fresh thyme, and bay leaf together with a piece of kitchen twine and add to the pot with the potatoes. Pour in the clam juice and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and clams. Cover and bring to a low simmer. Season with pepper to taste. Divide among warm soup bowls and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------

OK, so I’m in ketosis and can’t eat the potato, so what did I do?

I also loathe cooked stalk celery, but cooked celeriac aka celery root, is entirely different. I love celeriac. So I omitted the celery stalks and potato and used a 4-5" diameter celeriac to take the place of both. Anyone who knows me knows that after the first time I make a recipe I make it mine. The garlic was upped and so were the herbs. The red pepper was definitely upped.

I’ve made this before with the clam broth and added a piece of fish to the bowl. That works fine. But this time I had 2 pounds of extra large shrimp with the shell on, and the shell is important for flavor. Tip: NEVER buy pre-shelled shrimp unless you want them to be flavorless.

So for this recipe today I put the 2# of frozen shrimp, again, shell on, into a saucepan and covered them with water but just covered, no excess. Brought them to a boil and simmered for just a few mnutes (3ish). Then strained the cooking liquid, aka shrimp stock, into a measuring bowl to get my 5 cups of stock. I had 6 cups so the dogs will have shrimp stock in their dishes tonight.

I didn’t saute the vegetables, everything went into the soup pot. I also use dry herbs. I always have them but don’t always have fresh. Did I mention I cook to taste? So I don’t have measured amounts but I can guess. Maybe 2 TBLs parsley, 1 tsp whole thyme, and 3 bay leaves. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup tom’ paste. Well a can is 6 ounces, and what do I do with the other 2 ounces? The entire can went in. It was brought to a boil while the shrimp cooled off in the saucepan. Once the veg’ were tender and the celeriac is the one to test, it’s done. When the shrimp are cool peel them and put them in the refrigerator.

To serve I put some shrimp in a bowl, ladle a serving over it and gently warm it in the microwave. But this time I’ll also add some mussel meat to the bowl. Delicious, keto, and a meal, including veg’ in a bowl. Cook once, and it’s easy cooking, and eat for awhile. I measured it out tonight. I get 7 servings and a serving of broth. I could have divvied up the broth into the other servings, but I didn’t. It’ll make a fine light lunch on it’s own.

There are plenty of leftovers and I’ll freeze some in individual serving containers. When I want some I’ll just pull it out, warm it and add some sort of fish or shellfish to it. A can of clams or oysters would also work.

Could you add a little green pepper? I think that would be a nice addition. I just haven’t tried it yet.

Sorry....but no. I understnad you have some dietary issues that drive the recipe, but....I live in Maine too and red Manhatten Clam Chowduh is sacrilege....it ain't chowduh...always looked to me like something was injured in there. I do think that you can cure that....if they would just stop digging their clams in the East River....they can have white chowduh like the rest of us. Ayuh! LOL!

sound great

Boolit Master

That's a lot of wasted Clam juice. I use the Clam juice drained from the canned clams.
    Four small cans will yield about 12+ozs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hwilliam01 View Post
    Sorry....but no. I understnad you have some dietary issues that drive the recipe, but....I live in Maine too and red Manhatten Clam Chowduh is sacrilege....it ain't chowduh...always looked to me like something was injured in there. I do think that you can cure that....if they would just stop digging their clams in the East River....they can have white chowduh like the rest of us. Ayuh! LOL!
    Here, Here This man is correct! I'm from NH and know clam chowder. NY style is not Chowda!

Boolit Master

2 lbs of clams will make a couple gallons of clam juice in the correct pot.