WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First one I ever seen

Boolit Master

First one I ever seen

I just got back from the GunClub, shooting my new Sig 226 .40S&W, the gun shoots well. but about round #35, it did not go bang ? I cleared the gun and looked at the cartige . it had a nice round Dent in it, so tryed again (click) . well this is factroy ammo Winchester .40S&W 180 grain full metal Jacket. I bought it from midway last fall ,stored in a dark cool place with 50% or less humidty . of all the factroy I have shot this is the first one that falied to go bang. has anyone have this happend??? I am going to send this round back to Winchester and ask them what went wrong. PS. I tryed to put pictures here but the site told me that the file was wrong someway??

About 25 years ago, I had a new factory Federal .30-06 do that.

I returned it to the address on their box. I'm still waiting to hear back.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

If you haven't experienced bad factory ammo, then you haven't been around for the consumption of nearly enough of it.

In an instruction setting, I have seen factory ammo for rifle, pistol, or shotgun with:

Primers installed backwards

Primers installed sideways

Primers that don't ignite - probably due to lack of compound or a missing anvil.

Hard primers that don't ignite due to a hard or over-thick cup that needs an armor-piercing firing pin to light off.

Ammo with no flash hole drilled through the primer pocket.

Bullet seated to crush the case mouth.

Bullet seated backwards

Bullet not finished (escaped some of the swaging operations)

Improper taper crimp (won't chamber)

Shotshells with rough edges on the brass that can lead to hard extraction in a pump gun.

+P-marked cases mixed in with the correct stuff to make a non-+P load

Make a few billion of anything and there are bound to be mistakes. Always good to let the manufacturer know what you have and the production lot it came from, but unless what you're seeing is chronic, there's probably not much to be done about it. The good news is that the top shelf auto pistol duty loads seem to be phenomenally good at quality control, and those kinds of issues are seen far less there. That said, (A.) that could just be a perception because far less of it gets purchased and shot than the training ammo, and (B.) it isn't completely immune to stupid.

Always good to train at clearing malfunctions - cuz they happen.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

At various times in the past, I have had some factory ammunition fail to fire. Since they are so rare, I usually pull them apart to see what the issue is.

I have had a few bad primers, one with no powder(I had to drive the bullet out of the barrel on that one), and one with no primer flash hole.

It only concerns me if there are more than one in a single box of ammo.

Boolit Master
    I also have had this experience (too many times...). I would suggest contacting the manufacturer, typically they'll have you send the ammo back on their dime. And generally, I've received an answer as well as some complimentary / replacement ammunition.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    2 squibs from winchester within a week.

44 mag.....had to drive the bullets out of the barrel with brass rod and hammer.

Boolit Master
    I have shot very little factory loaded ammo of any kind, but I purchased Rem 700 Classic in 17 Rem, that came with a case of Rem ammo. Was shooting Pdogs and had some debris hit me in the face upon firing a round...primer blew-out. Shot some more and it happened again. Contacted Remington, they paid to send them back, received a new case of ammo. Seemed the case heads hadn't been annealed correctly. I asked about cases that didn't blow-out the primers, was told those case were fine...that was a concern I had. Shot factory shot shells until several years ago and don't recall any issues with those. Would have thought most here don't shoot factory loads.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

While rare, it does and can happen. Anything produced by man can fail......even a Cummins! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    My son was shooting the other day, his reloads. Had a box of SIG 45 auto and 1 of them didn’t go bang. Had a good strike on primer. Told him to try again with different pistol, he did and still no go.

Said he wont buy any more of those, as he has enough cases now to just make his own.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a new Remington 12 ga factory shell with no rim. Guess it slipped through QC.

Boolit Grand Master
    Had a 38 with no flash hole. Had a 9mm with the case crumpled from the bullet crushing it while seating. Stuff happens.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve had a entire box of Winchester 300 wsm loaded with.284 bullets.

Boolit Master
    About 15 years ago I had problems with Federal "550" bulk pack .22 ammo. Had it for my grandkids to plink with. About 2 to 5% would not fire, on the first strike. Turning the round for a strike on another part of the rim usually worked.

I called Federal and talked to a nice guy, told him the issue and provided the lot number. He said "usually we like you to send them back to us to test, but postage it so high that I will just replace them for you...what is your mailing address?". I told him, and that the bad news was that I had 7 boxes (7,350 rounds). Seven new boxes were on my door step within a week. Great customer service!
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

I had a box of ammo that had multiple rounds without powder! I sent that one back and they sent me 2X as much replacement ammo FROM A DIFFERENT LOT! It wasn't winchester. They all have OOPSes once in a while.

Banned
    Had some Remington 158 gr .38 +P with 2 rounds in a box of 50 that had rims too thick to close the cylinder on my model 13. This was about three years ago.

First rimfire missfires were Remington golds (yellow jackets?) about 9 years ago. I was shooting at a squirrel �� that was interrupting my Deer hunting with my Smith model 317. Two in a row. He looked at me as if to say “come back when you have your fecal matter in one bag and can carry it,” and took off.

Boolit Buddy
    All I got from Winchester is a replacement box .Realized something was wrong While shooting at a deer made a strange noise.At least it was a clean miss on the deer

Boolit Master

A friend of mine had a squib with a round of .45acp factory Remington ammo. The gun went click, and he manually extracted an empty case. He chambered another round and was in the process of squeezing the trigger when his shooting buddy (another deputy) stopped him. He had seen what happened and told him to check the barrel. Sure enough, a bullet partway down. We all know what would have happened had he pulled the trigger. Remington made it right.

It always gets me when I hear people condescendingly say they would never reload or shoot reloads because they're unreliable and dangerous. I've shot an awful lot of my own reloads over the decades, and have found them to be very safe and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by winger ed. View Post
    about 25 years ago, i had a new factory federal .30-06 do that.

I returned it to the address on their box. I'm still waiting to hear back.
    lol!

Boolit Grand Master

In the 60 years I’ve been shooting, probably less than half a dozen factory center fire duds. Rimfire on the other hand... more than you could count with an abacus.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    About 15 years ago I had problems with Federal "550" bulk pack .22 ammo. Had it for my grandkids to plink with. About 2 to 5% would not fire, on the first strike. Turning the round for a strike on another part of the rim usually worked.
    I called Federal and talked to a nice guy, told him the issue and provided the lot number. He said "usually we like you to send them back to us to test, ...Great customer service!
    I got a great deal on 3 boxes of Federal 550 LR 5 years ago. Had the same 2-5% FTF rate. Turning the cartridge to get firing pin to strike another spot worked 50% of the time. I discovered I could turn the ones that didn’t work three times but they never fired. I contacted Federal with lot # and they asked for several spent cases to examine. Their diagnosis was the dent (a serious, flatten the rim impression) caused by my firing pin was a couple thousands inch shorter than that required for positive ignition. I mailed them six more fired cases from another pistol (Officer’s Model Match) that apparently had the same problem. They sent me a check for $25.00. Yeah, it was cheap ammo but... I think they didn’t get a complete 360 degree primer compound placement when these cases were primed.
    Another time a range I worked at received several pallets of standard Remington 9 mm 115 FMJ ammo. You could count on one out of a hundred having sideways or upside down primers. That could be bad news if they use the same production line for SD ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast