RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: My Latest Boy's Rifle

My Latest Boy's Rifle

I've always loved the various "Boy's Rifles" . AND, they are still to be found at fairly reasonable prices. I've got about four or five of them at this point; this one being my latest. A Stevens "Crack Shot 26"

This one would be dated sometime after 1920 from the information I've seen. It's a little rough, but functional, and after cleaning the barrel, I was pretty jazzed. It's beautiful inside. Action is a little loose, but closes and head-spaces good and tight.

Jack First sells screws and various parts for these, and this one's worth spending a few bucks on. It shoots very well considering the sights provided. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5277.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	282940
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

Sweet!

I acquired one of the Savage re-issue versions from the 1980's or 1990's a few years back. It needed a little massaging of the firing pin and its retention apparatus to ensure reliable strikes, but that being done, it is definitely a bringer of smiles.

Not the highest quality or most durable of goods, which is to be expected considering the purpose and price point of the day - - and then often subjected to the abuses of people with. . .ummmm. . . "interesting" notions of firearm maintenance. All that aside, a really great concept that's worth some effort and expense to keep operational.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I have heard stories and seen pictures of that rifle all my life but have never held one in my hands or fired one.

A friend's dad carried one in his pickup, but it was a break action Stevens that resembled the falling block Little Favorite. It was very cool but he didn't let us cretins use it- he had a Remington 514 for us.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Good find! Most Crackshots lived through the era of corrosive priming, so a good original barrel is a treasure.

I don't have one, and at my age I'm not actively shopping anymore, so probably never will. Lots of Favorites, though.

A break action would have been a Model 12 Marksman. Arguably the strongest boys' rifle Stevens ever made.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    Stevens used to reuse rifle names seemingly at will.

A buddy of mine had a takedown Crackshot that had either a rolling block or a tipping block action (its been a few years). Regardless it worked just like a rolling block, cock the hammer and roll the breech open.

I do remember he told me the salesman at the pawnshop told him it was broken because you had to take the barrel off to load it.

After paying for it, Billy showed him how it really worked.

I never could talk him into actually shooting it.

Robert

There were, if I remember rightly, three different kinds of Crackshot.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    I have a Savage one and it is fun to shot. Basic can plinker.

Boolit Master
    I’ve always had a hankering for boys rifles althou I never seem to come across them.
    I used a well beaten Winchester 02A as a kid growing up.
    Never see them about thou.
    Was not cumbersome carrying around checking my string of rabbit traps early in the mornings.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice!

Boolit Master

My father got my first boys rifle at a second hand store. He walked in when the owner was going through a trunk full of stuff that he got in an estate sale and when he got to the bottom there was a Remington #4 rolled up in a blanket. It looked brand new with all the blue and color case. My father gave $8 for that rifle 64 years ago. Sense then I have picked up several more #4s and gave the one my father bought to my oldest daughter. I also have a few Stevens.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just restored a R Murdock 32 RF with an octagon barrel. Don’t know what I’ll do with it now that it’s done. Maybe good trade bait? Was going to hang out on the wall but would rather have a gun I want to shoot. Might have to part with my 1873 Winchester project gun as well. Getting an itch for a 5 pound 20 gauge beretta or beneilli.

They have a 22lr version similar to mine at the LGS in ruff shape for $350.

Here is a better photo of the wood with the original forend...

I still have the original forend put aside.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-29-2021 at 04:55 PM.

You can easily make the "R. Murdock" shoot centerfire .32 Colt by making a longer link, thus moving the firing pin to center. Done it to my own 1932. Only drawback is that the breechblock now sits higher in the down position, so it interferes with the extractor a bit. Not enough to make me cut down the breechblock, though. CB member tenmile has brass and bullets, and a tutorial on loading. Search .32 Colt Heel Bullets on Gunbroker.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    You can easily make the "R. Murdock" shoot centerfire .32 Colt by making a longer link, thus moving the firing pin to center. Done it to my own 1932. Only drawback is that the breechblock now sits higher in the down position, so it interferes with the extractor a bit. Not enough to make me cut down the breechblock, though. CB member tenmile has brass and bullets, and a tutorial on loading. Search .32 Colt Heel Bullets on Gunbroker.
    It doesn’t get me excited...but it was fun to restore it.