RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Any Win Model 54 fans?

Boolit Buddy

Any Win Model 54 fans?

The Model 54 was Winchester's first successful sporting bolt rifle with just over 50k being produced between 1926 and 1937 when it was replaced by the Model 70. It is estimated about 15k unaltered rifles remain as many were altered over the years to attach scopes that it wasn't designed for. This is the model the 270 Win and 220 Swift were introduced with.

I found this Standard Rifle 24" barreled version made in 1931 chambered in "30 GOV'T 06" in a country store in N. VT. Although unaltered mechanically it was in rough condition cosmetically but the bore looked to have been barely shot. A previous owner had sanded off the original finish and most of the checkering with it and had shellacked the stock but that had to have been a long time ago as much of it had already peeled off. The bluing was mostly gone from the barrel and bottom metal and there were old pits down the right side of the barrel but the rifle was otherwise clean of any rust.

The first thing I did was scrape the remaining shellac off the stock and apply boiled linseed oil without any other surface prep retaining all of the character marks. It was left in this condition for a while until I decided to work on restoring it. The stock was sent off to have the checkering professionally re-cut to the original pattern which was still barely visible. While that was being done the barrel pits were stoned out and a cold blue was applied to the barrel, bottom metal and butt plate. When the stock came back a few coats of TruOil reduced 50/50 with mineral sprits was applied over the BLO with nothing further done to it and it came out looking much like a rubbed oil finish. The receiver had retained most of its original finish and it and the bolt were left as is as I wasn't trying to make it look new again just clean up the damaged areas.

This is what it looked like after the BLO was applied...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	282923

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	282924

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	282925

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	282926

...and after the restoration work.

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	282927

Name:	IMG_2695.jpg 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	282928

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	282929

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	282930

Name:	IMG_2698.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	282931

Name:	IMG_2699.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	282932

Name:	IMG_2700.jpg 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	282933

I did take it hunting before the work was done on it but it won't be going in the woods anymore and only occasionally gets taken to the range.

Boolit Master
    you were very lucky to find one with a good bore. at some point someone has replaced the rear sight . all i have seen had the buckhorn.
    if your extractor is good you have a rare one with good bore

Boolit Buddy
    There were several versions of the Model 54 produced. The Lyman 66-W rear sight with one standing and one folding leaf was the original sight for M54's Standard Rifles that didn't come with a receiver sight.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nicely done. You have a treasure to enjoy there.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent job of restoring and bringing the old girl back to her former glory.....well done.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice and good job on stock. I want one in 06 and 30/30..................Curdog

Boolit Buddy
    Character marks on an old rifle stock that has been hunted a bit are usually unintentional but this one has intentional ones as well. On the top edge of each side of the forestock are notches that appear to be a record of game taken with it. The notches were applied in three groups at the front, below the sight, and at the receiver most likely representing the three big game animals in the Northeast - deer, bear and moose. On the left side the pattern is 10-1-2 and on the right side are much finer notches of 6-2-2. The store owner said the rifle came from a young guy the next town over that needed the money. Given the age of the rifle these notches most likely record the success of two of his past generations. Wish I knew the rest of the story.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have two 54s in .30Govt06, one with long slide Lyman 48 and the other with factory open sights. Despite strong, but frosty bores they shoot well.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NEKVT View Post
    The Model 54 was Winchester's first successful sporting bolt rifle with just over 50k being produced between 1926 and 1937 when it was replaced by the Model 70. It is estimated about 15k unaltered rifles remain as many were altered over the years to attach scopes that it wasn't designed for. This is the model the 270 Win and 220 Swift were introduced with.

I found this Standard Rifle 24" barreled version made in 1931 chambered in "30 GOV'T 06" in a country store in N. VT. Although unaltered mechanically it was in rough condition cosmetically but the bore looked to have been barely shot. A previous owner had sanded off the original finish and most of the checkering with it and had shellacked the stock but that had to have been a long time ago as much of it had already peeled off. The bluing was mostly gone from the barrel and bottom metal and there were old pits down the right side of the barrel but the rifle was otherwise clean of any rust.

The first thing I did was scrape the remaining shellac off the stock and apply boiled linseed oil without any other surface prep retaining all of the character marks. It was left in this condition for a while until I decided to work on restoring it. The stock was sent off to have the checkering professionally re-cut to the original pattern which was still barely visible. While that was being done the barrel pits were stoned out and a cold blue was applied to the barrel, bottom metal and butt plate. When the stock came back a few coats of TruOil reduced 50/50 with mineral sprits was applied over the BLO with nothing further done to it and it came out looking much like a rubbed oil finish. The receiver had retained most of its original finish and it and the bolt were left as is as I wasn't trying to make it look new again just clean up the damaged areas.

This is what it looked like after the BLO was applied...

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	282923

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	282924

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	282925

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	282926

...and after the restoration work.

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	282927

Name:	IMG_2695.jpg 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	282928

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	282929

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	282930

Name:	IMG_2698.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	282931

Name:	IMG_2699.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	282932

Name:	IMG_2700.jpg 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	282933

I did take it hunting before the work was done on it but it won't be going in the woods anymore and only occasionally gets taken to the range.
    i have a 54 in 30-30 that i consider mint with no outside drillings. a beauty

Boolit Master
    Have a 54 action for the 30-30 cartridge. When I got it, it had the scope base holes drilled and tapped and two holes on the left side for a receiver sight. Had the bolt done by Griffin & Howe many years back in a Winchester style bolt handle. Frank

Boolit Bub
    I picked up a Model 54 in 30 GOVT 06 at a GS about a month ago. According to SN it was a 1927 model. It’s in pretty nice shape. Few dings here and there. Last few inches inside the barrel show minor pitting but this thing shoots awesome. It basically looked unaltered. I added a Williams peep. Mines not D&T for scope and it’ll stay that way. Shooting 31141 cast with 20 gr of 2400 will ring the 10” gong all day at 100. Only issue with the 31141 is they don’t feed well from the mag. 1 in chamber and 1 in mag will feed perfect. Gotta get another mold to help the feeding issue. Definitely hitting the woods this fall. Way too much fun.

Boolit Buddy
    I found one in 30 W.C.F. back in 1981, mounted a Unertl scope and made a dedicated cast bullet rifle out of it. I still have it. It has turned out one inch groups but averages 1.75 for five shots at a hundred.

Boolit Bub
    I want one in 30 wcf. Think it’d be an awesome setup.

I like em as much as a pre-war M-70, but my favorite rifle is the Remington M-30s. There's just something about that Enfield action I really like.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

I now have my grandads 54 in 270 WCF. She is grand and I cherish it.

Grandad got it from a punch board in a lil tavern in Declo Idaho. He bought 5 nickle punchs but it were his first punch that won it. Lotza history with this rifle.

Grampa was workin in the spud cellers for old man Simplot and after grandad won the rifle some time later, old man Simplot went on a moose hunt in BC and borrowed grandads rifle ( his new Winchester model 54 270 WCF ) and shot a bull with it. Not killing it, he butstroked the bull with grandads rifle and cracked the stock in the wrist.

Grandpa wrapped piano wire around the wrist and covered it with old friction tape. It stayed this way until my dad decided to have it fixed and refinished.

She looks better than brand new now ... much to my displeasure ... but it is still my grandads rifle and I will cherish it and hand it down to my son when the time comes.

Congrats on a nice restoration job on one of the best bolt guns to come outta the Winchester factory. That is a cherry my friend and a keeper to boot.