RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Starting out new load

Boolit Grand Master

Starting out new load

Trimmed 50 new starline cases to 2.123 chamfered and annealed, Sized and expanded for the new DZ Hepburn 38-55. Going to make test loads for it with the old west 365 grn nasa bullet to start. Looks like about 48 grns of 2 f Olde Ensforde to start with the .060 napa wad. OAL is around 2.990.

I have large rifle primers but unfortunately they are Remington. Hard to find in good times now with the closer and run probably pretty much unobtanium

Boolit Master
    What’s your barrel twist?

KW

Boolit Grand Master

1-14 twist according to DZ Im hoping it ill do the big bullet I may have to go back to the lyman 330 grn though. The 365 nasa is 1.450 long. my C sharp High wall with 1-14 mcgovern barrel real does well with them.

Both these rifle were built for BPCR silhouettes ( local matches) we shoot swingers so a wiggle and ding is all it takes, a little more forgiving than having to knock them over. The C Sharps is a ram ringer for sure with these bullets.

Boolit Master
    The 1-14 is to slow for your NASA bullet, been there done it. Had mine rechambered to a 38-50 even won a Midrange National championship with it in 2015. Very accurate out to 300 yards or the pigs. Best bullet hands down the Lyman Postell. In any kind of wind conditions at 600 you’re in trouble. I finally sold it. That bullet needs a 1-12 twist. First day of 2015 Nationals I shot 11 X’s in the 30 record shots, that rifle shot a lot of perfect scores at 200 yards with 4-7 X’s. The new format is 300-500-600 that’s why I went to a 14 twist 40-70.

Kenny Wasserburger

Boolit Grand Master

Kenny I to think the 14 may be on the slow side but have to try it to see. Plus its the only 38 bullets I have cast.

The chamber appears o be cut with no throat the leade comes off the case mouth so may be a decent PP gun too.

I have 50 rds loaded 10 each from 41 grns to 46 gns.

I had some of the short 38-55s on the bench and with tube the powder charge was visibly lower than the 2.125 brass with the same charge