RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water glass and other glues

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Buy a hot glue electric gun and some hot glue sticks. Run a ring around the over shot wad = perfectly sealed
    Hot glue is also an excellent way to form modified seating plug cavities and H&I dies for perfect bullet ogives
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Buy a hot glue electric gun and some hot glue sticks. Run a ring around the over shot wad = perfectly sealed
    Hot glue is also an excellent way to form modified seating plug cavities and H&I dies for perfect bullet ogives
    Reading the thread I wondered about hot glue. that crap sticks to everything and its so easy to work with.

Probably best, when dealing with shotgun shell reloading, to stay with the things that are tried and proven. Waterglass seems to be one of them. This past winter I reloaded a bunch of mixed .410 shells, some with unknown pasts. A few, perhaps a dozen, would not fold crimp well and left a little round hole in the center of the crimp through which one or two shot could dribble out. Gave it a lot of thought, and bought a small squeeze tube of silicon sealant (DAP brand) and put a small blob in each hole. The stuff is advertised to never harden, and I think it will probably prove good for the application I used it for, but I don't believe I'd use it to seal overshot cards, etc.

DG

Boolit Master

WOW! I just use a little Elmer's glue thinned with isopropol alcohol. I dip a small water color paint brush in it and paint the overshot card. Cleans out easily if it doesn't blast clean away.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Ive been using water glass with great success. I use it for sealing brass shotshells and for case fire forming.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    My dad remembers his uncles using a bit of melted beeswax when reloading 10 and 12 gauge shells in their kitchen in Pittsburgh. That is what I’m planning on trying, at least once anyway. Wish I had pictures of that.

Boolit Master

I would avoid hot glue exposed to the barrel.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    A good source of water glass is radiator stop-leak sold at auto parts stores. It's not all created equal, so look for a bottle that advertises no grit or metal flake in the formula.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12