Reloading UKMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
ADvertise hereInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox

Thread: Homemade BP

Boolit Mold

Homemade BP

Longtime BP hunter. I make my own caps with a TAP O CAP. Kust started making black powder from Salt Peter, sulfur and activated charcoal. Before the nay sayers kick in... Activated charcoal works fine. I did some homework. Pure activated charcoal has no chemicals that inhibit burning. Some of the stuff sold for teeth and stomach issues do. Mine is pure. Anyway I have tested it ground fine with good results. However I am seeing recommendations to wet homemade BP with water or alcohol and then dry. As I said I have achieved good results without doing this but was wondering, what, if any advantage is there to wetting ang drying homemade BP? I buy finely powdered ingredients and routinely grind them further. Thank You.

I think wetting reduces the chance of as the Glock guys say a "kaboom" or in your case a fire during grinding.
    I have ground the ingredients separately but I think when mixed they get more twichy. So its a fire burn your face off thing also wet you may get a finner grind.

Boolit Master

boy oh boy, there is a thread on this you might want to read, that is if you got a few weeks to get through it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

90 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Do not take this post as a suggestion that there is no danger in the process of deriving propellant at home .

The wetting of dry mill technique is for corning and screening . Obviously wet powder won't burn , but if the components aren't added together until the last 30 min blend you should be good to go .

Lead balls , grounded mills , and drums , with a little good sense and small batches will keep it reasonably safe .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcangel View Post
    Longtime BP hunter. I make my own caps with a TAP O CAP. Kust started making black powder from Salt Peter, sulfur and activated charcoal. Before the nay sayers kick in... Activated charcoal works fine. I did some homework. Pure activated charcoal has no chemicals that inhibit burning. Some of the stuff sold for teeth and stomach issues do. Mine is pure. Anyway I have tested it ground fine with good results. However I am seeing recommendations to wet homemade BP with water or alcohol and then dry. As I said I have achieved good results without doing this but was wondering, what, if any advantage is there to wetting ang drying homemade BP? I buy finely powdered ingredients and routinely grind them further. Thank You.
    forget the alcohol idea - waste of time and money and does nothing beneficial

Boolit Bub
    I made some years ago using a recipe from Foxfire, I was a teen, got the chemicals from the rexall drug store. I think foxfire said use stale urine. It burned, but not well. I mixed it 50/50 with goex and it helped.
    I've considered trying again...will watch this thread