Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to use to remove case lubricant

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harper View Post
    and now thanks to covid you can't even buy a tumbler.......
    How 'bout this:

"Thanks to Democrat politicians and their "news" media lackeys trying to scare liberals half witless in order to show the little people how hard the innerlechul librul govmint was "just trying to help them" and succeeded beyond anyone's expectations. In doing so they have seized and damaged or destroyed large swarths of our economic system. Meaning C-19 was just a signaling "dog whistle".

The political effort was to better establish swamp govy control over the public and we really need to see it for what it has been.

Boolit Master
    Wipe the cases with a microfibre cloth to remove sizing lube.

I charge my RCBS foam lube pad with Imperial Sizing Wax.
    I smear a thin coat of wax onto the pads surface, roll a case up the pad then size it.

To get the wax off I first wipe with a paper towel that gets most of the wax off.
    Then switch to a microfibre towel to get off any wax that might still be on the case.

I tried the tumbler removal with corn cob media but then I had to wash off tumbler dust and dry the cases again.

It was easier and faster to to just wipe the was lube off the cases.
    Plus I get to do addition case visual inspection and inspection by feel.
    If the microfibre cloth snags on anything I can take a second look for the cause of the snag.
    Caught a few tiny case mouth splits and rim burrs during the microfibre cloth wipe down.

The heavily wax coated paper towel get tossed out but the towel is not so soiled so it get machine washed and reused.
    Don''t use fabric softener in the wash or any dry sheet softener on the microfibre towel and they will continue to work well.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 01-08-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Boolit Master

When I used the alcohol mixture I would clean by dry tumbling. For the last twenty or so years I have used Kiwi leather conditioner for lube and just wipe it off with a soft cloth.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

I usually lay them on an old folded up towel and spray them with either brake cleaner or contact cleaner and roll them around good. I have washed them in hot soapy water and I have tumbled them but mostly I use brake cleaner.

Boolit Man
    Been using spray mixture of lanolin and alcohol for years and found the best way to clean off batch sizing amounts of brass fast and effectively is to put it in small 1 gallon bucket ,run tap water un-till hot, then mix a half cap of orange oil and dawn into the bucket . let sit for 5 minutes pour into my own noodle colander (because i value my life), rinse off in colander with same hot tap water, spread on kitchen table under ceiling fan and dry in hours. Looks like brand new bagged brass. I'm kind of a clean snob anymore when it comes to my brass.
    KW
    Lifetime Reloader
    Veteran
    NRA- Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I've gotta say this --- When I started reloading, almost NOBODY even had a tumbler, or ever even cleaned their brass. Now about half of the "how to" threads on reloading forums have to do with various tumbling techniques.

No real point to my post, I just think it's kind of interesting. jd
    Hey that's me! Dirty brass used to be the proud badge of a reloader!

Boolit Master

However you do it don’t use wife’s dishwasher and then forget about them……..they’ll be hell to pay. Last time she caught me with a set of TRW 11:1 racing pistons in it and darn ne’er hit me with one….

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

I use Unique to case lube and then I put in the tumbler add round up corn cobs and the cases comes out shiny, I do at first tumble them in ground walnut , then do the sizing and depriming.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Just dump the fired brass into the cleaner as you come in. A good habit to get into. Clean gun, clean brass…… If you have no build up on brass or in the gun.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    The woolite keeps your delicate brass from shrinking LOL
    If I don't use Woolite will my 30-30 brass turn into 25-20 brass?

I don’t understand or I’m trapped in the past but I roll my dry tumble cleaned .30-06-.303 or .30-40 brass on a lube pad with some lyman case lube on it, size/deprime the case then roll it between a towel on my leg and my palm and put in a Dillon bin until that batch is sized. Hand prime them and put them upside down in a block. I inspect the brass as they get processed. Cracked cases get recycled.

Boolit Mold
    I use one shot to size with then put brass in my tumbler which has ceramic media in it, with 1 teaspoon of turtle wax car detergent and 2 table spoons of CLR. the turtle wax car detergent leaves my brass spot free once they dry laying on a towel. Brass comes out like new. 3 hours tumbling. 45-90,45-70 brass.

Boolit Buddy
    I dampen a spot on a shop rag with cigarette lighter fluid and wipe the case.Dont take much and squirt a little more every 10-12 pieces. Has worked well for years for me. Helps with case inspection also.

Boolit Master
    Could always go old school and dip necks in graphite powder and not worry about the grey ring.
    Or extra cleaning.
    I just wipe my brass down as well.
    Guess I’m in the "unwashed" unconverted category.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123