RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns for a men's retreat?

Boolit Master

Guns for a men's retreat?

Got invited to a men's retreat this weekend by my girlfriend's father. I don't go to the church, and don't know anyone there except the dad and her brother-in-law.

I asked the dad what to bring and he said a Bible, a cot, a sleeping bag, and some guns. He said there would be range time and it was really popular among the guys.

Quite a quandary to choose which guns to bring. The dad knows nothing about guns, and English is his second language, so he was not helpful in guiding me on what kinds of guns would be appropriate. I looked at the camp and the range there is 50 yards or less, so that was helpful.

Plus, the book I was supposed to read for it was Chuck Swindoll's "Improving Your Serve". Of course I didn't have time to read it with just a few day's notice, but from what I was able to glean from it, it was focused on men not being so competitive, prideful, and focused on success.

So I decided on my Henry lever-action in .45 Colt, my Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt, Glock G19 Gen 5 MOS, and my normal carry pistol, which is a Sig P365 9mm.

I have plenty of components for .45 Colt and 9mm, and not sure if I'll be expected to let others shoot my guns and ammo, but should have enough to share with no worries. All guns are modest in value and aesthetics and not considered "barbecue guns" that would be showy or prideful, which was a concern for me.

I've never been to a Men's Retreat with range time, before. I've seen archery clinics, and knife-sharpening classes, and other similar activities, but never shooting. So no idea what is expected or normal for such an event. Probably varies quite a bit.

The church sponsoring the retreat is a smaller country church with mostly ranchers and loggers, so I think the Henry and Ruger will go over well.

Anyone ever gone to a retreat where there was shooting and range time?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I think I'd take a 22 revolver too if you have one. It is easier on new shooters to get the basics down.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    All of them. You will be the toast of the town.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I think I'd take a 22 revolver too if you have one. It is easier on new shooters to get the basics down.
    Yup and bring plenty of extra ammo for it as it will be popular.

Boolit Master
    Last men's retreat I brought my 1874 Sharps,AR15 and a variety of revolvers and semi autos. 22 rifle and/or handgun for those who may not have any firearms experience. When I had the van packed with guns,ammo someone asked if I was bringing enough for everybody.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep in mind the average age of you gtoup. With the older gentleman a stevens crack shot in 22 rf brings back a lot of memories. Single action revolvers also. The bigger single shot rifles will get a lot of attention but recoil for novices may become an issue. I would avoid scope sights on rifle with recoil you dont want to see some one get a new eyebrow

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you have the ammo to spare, take all you want, especially your favorites. And it’s a good point to be careful with high powered scoped rifles with novices. You will loose all your brownie points if someone ends up with a bloody forehead.

Boolit Master
    Gallery loads, lots of gallery loads. Easy on the shooter and observers. Brass buckets so you get your brass back, and maybe others too. I do find the focus of the weekend interesting if the group is doing a lot of shooting.

" it was focused on men not being so competitive, prideful, and focused on success."

I have been to lots of church men's retreats in the United Methodist Church. Take a gun to one of those and they would start making the sign of the cross and hanging garlic around their necks.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Henry lever-action in .45 Colt, my Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt, Glock G19 Gen 5 MOS, and my normal carry pistol, which is a Sig P365 9mm. With 50yds only and maybe shorter pistol, keep the p365 in your pocket. Lots of ammo. IIRC shot couple hundred 9, bout the same 40 and a bunch of BO - for 5 kids and a couple adults. Expect they will shoot your stuff and you, theirs.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Also shotgun, ammo, eye protection, hearing protection, shell pouch.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    When I’m planning to shoot with strangers I always bring a suppressed 22 and extra eyes and ears.

I've never been to one or even heard of it, but what a great idea! I second the idea of a .22. Suppressed is even better.

Boolit Buddy
    I really don't like shooting or bring my guns out around people I don't know. I would think any ghost gun mounted on your vehicle would be a great ice breaker and give them something to talk about .

Super Moderator

I'd bring a S&W Model 25, a couple of Model 10's, a Single Six, and a Winchester 62A. Oh yeah...and LOTS of ammo!

I'd also bring a pump shotgun and a few empty soda and milk bottles with some water in them to throw up in the air.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Bring something featured in a popular movie. Everyone will relate. Perhaps “ . . . The gun of Rambo.” (And a couple of 200 rd belts.)

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Here in West Virginia the usual revival and retreat recreational guns are .22 rifles for the women and kids to learn on, and either family heirloom or home-built patched round ball muzzleloading rifles, either flint or percussion. A game feast is traditional.

Shooting is generally offhand at 50 yards.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

We’ve done a number of retreats and had range time. Oddities from the normal Colorado hunting rifle always were a hit - black powder pistols and rifles were fun.
    3 years ago i brought my M1 and M1A.
    Last year we got too big to have an “everyone shoot” range day and myself and the other RSO didn’t feel comfortable managing a free for all shot off the back deck. So, two of us set up long range rifles on 2 benches and had 2 sets of targets at 500, 800 and 1000 yards. Drew numbers for shooters to queue up and shoot, 5 rounds at 500 and advance if all 5 rang the gong.

It was pretty popular and before ammo prices went through the roof, wasn’t horribly expensive for ammo.

We just hosted a sporting clays shoot as a day event a couple of weeks ago but that was at an established range so we didn’t have to manage much.

Greg

Boolit Master
    Have to admit my Sharps was the attention getter,Long Range Express 34" barrel with a Malcolm style telescopic sight . Everyone was like "wow"
    till they saw the ammo 45/70 500 gr bullets no one wanted to shoot it till I fired a few rounds then it was me next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast