RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bnh for deer

I've used soft lead for muzzleloaders and WW's for modern pistols both with good results. Deer are easy to kill if you hit them in the right place. In the wrong place a 458 WM wont help you.
    My Dad's mentor, a WW1 Vet, swore by the 25-20 as a deer killing machine. He lived in the Hill country and used iron sights only. Pop's favorite was a 22 Mag FMJ and head shots....Yea I know....

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Imo the wrong place with hard non expanding boolits are anywhere other than a shoulder or backbone shot. I’m am not a fan of head shooting deer so that’s not an option along with guessing where the backbone is. Most shooters shoot cast minute of pie plate so imo the shooters that connect with both are more lucky than skilled IMO and not aiming for either to begin with. I’ve witnessed many of deer that the “so called marksman” thought they missed running around on property wounded. If you use “soft” expanding lead you can aim for the heart and lung area with good results. I tried both hard and soft alloys. I’ll try and find both posts and link here.

Found them...

To hard of an alloy....

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...my-devastators!!!

And nice and sold alloy...

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!

With a slower moving boolit from a pistol you are not going to get anywhere’s near the expansion that my 336 did but I’m sure you will get some good expansion as long as use you use soft alloy.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-18-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I still go with a big cal and hard bullets. I have hart shot deer with a 200 gr swc doing around 600fps. Deer was down in 20 feet. No explanation of bullet. I have shoot 260gr rnfp flat based out of a 454. They go through deer and crush everything g I side and go o out the other side no expantion.
    Steve

Again, the original post was about pistols, not rifles with their extra velocity. A 255 or 300 grain, relatively hard bullet, most likely will make an exit hole on a broadside shot, even if it strikes a rib or shoulder. Too soft and it may not go out of the far side. I’m not saying it won’t, but the odds go down considerably. I’m sure lots of folks have done it and funny things happen when flesh is hit. Once I hit a 90 doe broadside at 90 yards with a 423 grain, putty soft, paper patched bullet exiting the muzzle at 1850 f/s. Expanded to the size of a quarter and didn’t leave the deer. Highly unusual.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12