Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rechamber a 32WCF

Rechamber a 32WCF

I have found a nice single shot 1885 low wall in 32WCF. However, it does have a rather poor bore if I want to get serious at single shot , then I am looking at total barrel or liner. Your thoughts on this rifle are appreciated. The auction ends in June
    Thanks all!!

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...low-wall-rifle
    Last edited by MotelAlpha; 05-13-2021 at 03:15 PM. Reason: some typos

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Reline would be the way I would go after I shot it a bit and found for sure that it really needed it . #2013 in the same auction would be my choice if I were bidding . Lo Wall's would not be my choice due to strength and weight . Too heavy to suit me for the small cartridges normally used in them . Does look like a very nice rifle if the 32-20 is what you want .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 06-05-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Considering what a rare special order gun it is, I'd only consider relining it and retaining the .32WCF caliber. A Low Wall with a letter that confirms it's features as it is will bring more value keeping it as original as possible. Should be fair interest in that one at the auction.
    I didn't see any mention of a bad bore? Have you already examined it and know it's poor?

Boolit Master

If you're going to have to re-do the barrel, you'll lose a considerable amout of the 'collector' value and end up with a rather expensive 'shooter'. While .32 WCF is not currently catalogued by either, both Uberti and Pedersoli manufacture reproduction Low-Walls and I know for certain that, a few years back, Cimarron marketed a 'deluxe' model of the Uberti in that caliber 'cause I've got one (and, no, it's not for sale!). If it were me, I'd look around for one of the reproduction guns. You might get lucky and find a 32WCF or, failing that, latch onto one of the .22s...either rimfire or .22 Hornet...and have it rebored by JES.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

All good points, and had considered some as well...Since at my age I am no longer really interested in a "collector" only rifle, This one is not so high yet to pass on cuz of intrinsic values, but yes the #2012 is alson a fine looking rifle. As for the bore, I checked and didn't really get a warm and fuzzy. I think if I leap it would surely be shot first to discern an other approach

Boolit Master
    For me a rebarrelling a gun hurts nothing but you pocket book. As long as you keep the original barrel with the gun its history is preserved. You will just pay a premium for a classic shooter.

If your finances allow you to get a original Low Wall I would avoid the Italian copies. Another oltion would be a C.Sharps.

I'd disagree that a collector firearm will lose significant value being relined, vs. original poor bore. Nobody wants a collector gun with a bad bore, and the bad bore will hurt it's value far more than a properly relined barrel. It wont be as valuable as the same gun with a nice original bore, but it will certainly be more valuable than the poor bore.
    First thing guys do when they pick up an old gun at a show or store is check the bore. If it looks worn out they'll usually put it back down, and walk away. If it's a new relined bore or a nice original bore they'll keep looking it over.

Marliman93
    I concur with your analysis as that has been my approach for a while now when looking at used rifles. Most of mine have not been in the "collector" arena ,but unique to my interests. Double rifles, most Hammer guns a precision custom 260 Rem, 45-70s, 4065, various others. My interest here is to get into Schuetzen at a reasonable start since time in my case is of the essence. I no longer want to wait around to get something built that I've never laid eyes on. Will upgrade a rifle if needed once I own it.

Have it relined. If I were shopping for a Low Wall, (I'm not), I'd pay more for a relined one thn one with a bad bore. Because if I did buy one with a bad bore the first thing I'd do is liner it.
    Cognitive Dissident

If you're thinking of getting into the Schuetzen game, maybe consider a .30 caliber liner with a 12 inch twist. Lots more bullet options. Keep the .32 WCF chambering.
    Cognitive Dissident

.30 caliber such as? My reason for asking is that I have not seen anyone mention the values of a .30 at 200 yards or less..

Quote Originally Posted by MotelAlpha View Post
    Marliman93
    I concur with your analysis as that has been my approach for a while now when looking at used rifles. Most of mine have not been in the "collector" arena ,but unique to my interests. Double rifles, most Hammer guns a precision custom 260 Rem, 45-70s, 4065, various others. My interest here is to get into Schuetzen at a reasonable start since time in my case is of the essence. I no longer want to wait around to get something built that I've never laid eyes on. Will upgrade a rifle if needed once I own it.
    If you plan to get into the schuetzen game, I'm not sure I'd choose this gun? It is certainly far from an offhand rifle, and converting it to an offhand schuetzen rifle will take more money, and still be just marginal for schuetzen work. Plus the Low Wall in .32-20 will not be an optimum cartridge for 200 meter schuetzen work. It can work, just not the best choice, and also limited chamber pressures in a 1885 Low Wall.
    I'd be looking at a High Wall in something like .32-40 for schuetzen, or even .32-20, but capable of higher velocities than the Low Wall.

Well put valuable information...just starting to pay attention to the black powder-smokeless area and what can or not handle pressures...ad to that there is a fair amount of conflicting information no intentional, but rather the manufacturers were all over the map on cartridge sizes . Like you pointed out, that I do not want to do is wind up getting a custom rig, and not enjoying the sport.

Let me put in a plug for a Stevens 44-1/2. CPA replicas are spendy, but decent originals can sometimes be found in the $1000 range. Strong enough for 40,000 psi smokeless, more than strong enough for any sort of Schuetzen loads. If Schuetzen doesn't suit you, put on another barrel chambered, say, .222R, and you've got a varmint rifle. Add a .30-40 barrel and you've got a deer rifle. It's a takedown design; you don't need special tools to swap barrels once they're fitted to the action.
    Last edited by uscra112; 05-14-2021 at 02:26 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I actually started with no intention of ever competing. I love it so much im going to take some days off and travel to a match.

Even if you are not into the sport you can enjoy shooting the guns.

After much more reading today, I am leaning towards going up a few notches in price so that I can get better use out of the rifle Standing/Benchrest...am only getting older at 76 ,my true time is rather short to get way into price, but I do want to be both productive in my shooting, and shoot something enjoyable as well. I have a 40-65 Rolling block, but shooting as many rounds per match will get old real soon I think. So it may have to go to make room for a better selection

One of the ASSRA guys is shooting the lights out (off the bench) with a fast-twist .25-20 WCF.

Recoil negligible.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    One of the ASSRA guys is shooting the lights out (off the bench) with a fast-twist .25-20 WCF.

Recoil negligible.
    Yes, and JerryH is doing that with a CPA 44 1/2 also. It's strong enough to handle the fairly warm loads Jerry shoots, but not sure I'd push an older Low Wall to the velocity Jerry is shooting?

Motelalpha, I too am in my early 70's and have still not ever shot a schuetzen match. But the vast majority of my rifles are schuetzen rifles, and I enjoy shooting them in the traditional schuetzen style. Some breech seaters, some breech seating muzzleloaders, and some as fixed traditional loads.
    It's a lot of fun even if you don't ever compete. I've picked up a number of old original Ballard schuetzen rifles in the $1700-$2700 range, and with very good bores. A number of them made by famous names like Pope, Schoyen, Peterson, Zettlers, etc. They can be found if you look a lot and are patient.

Exactly Marlinman93, I may not gewt there, but then the hunt is partly the fun anyway. The most dismal thing I am finding is the lack of places to shoot except private clubs with waiting lists, and not too well maintained, the other is the lack of firearms variety at the two shows that I have attended...Mostly new or black rifles. Very little in the guns I grew up with. But we will ever endeavor to persevere as Winston said.

I gave up gun shows ten years ago. All the good stuff has gone to online auctions.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast