Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Cost of shipping

Boolit Master

Cost of shipping

I mailed a large fllat rate box today, cost $21.90, ouch. Up over $2.00 from the last time. Average price of of gas here in Commieforkistan is over $4.00 a gallon. I think we are in for a wild ride, down hill.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Like attorneys at a bankruptcy - Shipping companies always get paid.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    For the price you pay it would be nice if the package arrived in 2 days like the self-postage machine says.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    . Average price of of gas here in Commieforkistan is over $4.00 a gallon.
    Its $2.76 here, and a little cheaper as you get closer and closer to the city.

It's barely pennies a gallon difference to get a gallon of crude out of the ground-- where ever it comes from,
    transported and refined, then shipped to any local gas station on the planet.

The difference between what you or I pay per gallon, is the difference of local taxes and the retailer's expenses** & mark up.

I'd heard over 25 years ago the price difference between opening a gas station here, or in Calif. was about a million dollars
    by the time their govt. got done with ya.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Its $2.76 here, and a little cheaper as you get closer and closer to the city.

It's barely pennies a gallon difference to get a gallon of crude out of the ground-- where ever it comes from,
    transported and refined, then shipped to any local gas station on the planet.

The difference between what you or I pay per gallon, is the difference of local taxes and the retailer's expenses** & mark up.

I'd heard over 25 years ago the price difference between opening a gas station here, or in Calif. was about a million dollars
    by the time their govt. got done with ya.
    Our Govner Grusume says no more new gas stations ever. I remember buying gas in Texas for 27 cents a gallon. It was in the early 1960s and it was at a Shamrock station.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I remember buying gas in Texas for 27 cents a gallon. It was in the early 1960s and it was at a Shamrock station.
    In '70-'72, when I was still in High School-
    it was 31-33 cents in Dallas, but if you went out to the outer edges of the city,
    you could still buy it for 27 to 29 cents a gallon in the older stations.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I was just looking for some reloading supplies online and wanted Alox lube and some Hornady XTPs in .400 180 grain. Went to Amazon, Midway, and Buffalo Arms.

Midway had the lube for $6.79 per tube, but wanted $6.75 for shipping. Amazon had the lube for $11.84 per tube, but free shipping.

Buffalo Arms didn't have the lube, but had XTP bullets for $25 per 100. Used to pay $20 for them locally, but whatever. Tried to buy them, but the shipping went to $14??!!

Heck, I could spend less money in gas driving to their store 80 miles away than what they want to ship the bullets to me.

Canceled the order. I have enough bullets for a while, and just cast another couple hundred today.

So, I went with Midway and tried to get two tubes, but they limited me to one??? So I bought one from Midway and one from Amazon. The last two tubes of Alox lasted me about 5 years, so I should be OK for awhile.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

shipping is never free. And while I might pay more, I try and not buy from amazon unless it is only place I can get the item.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    1966: 16.9 cents a gallon during the frequent 'gas wars' in KCMO. Used to try and come up with a dollar from passenger-contributors in my '57 Chevy Bel-Air 2 door hardtop and cruise all night into the wee hours...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    You guys are being way too hard about the USPS and the increases they put on flat rate boxes. . . . you should know by now that with any government agency it costs more money to be more inefficient.

Boolit Grand Master

What gets me is a lot of the shippers dont even knock on your door whent hey deliver, just set the package on the door step. and go. For me sitting hte package down makes it very hard for me to get to it. At east they could knock on the door and let you know its arrived.

My mail man and UPS driver will when I call to them open the door and hand it to me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    1966: 16.9 cents a gallon during the frequent 'gas wars' in KCMO...
    About the same price in 1966 where I grew up. But that 16.9 cents / gallon included paying wages for the guy who checked the oil and cleaned your windows while filling your gas tank. Air for tires was free and bulk oil (in a quart jar with funnel cap) was 10 cents.
    Federal minimum wage in ‘66’ was $1.25 so you could buy roughly 7 gallons of gas for an hour’s wages. My MG Midget had an 8 gallon gas tank, got 17-18 mpg and burned a pint of oil every 200 miles.
    First class postage stamps were 5 cents.
    I don’t know about Amazon’s shipping costs but Chewy.com and other big online retailers pay a flat rate $5.00 per box (size doesn’t matter) for shipping because they ship so much.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    What gets me is a lot of the shippers dont even knock on your door whent hey deliver, just set the package on the door step. and go. For me sitting hte package down makes it very hard for me to get to it. At east they could knock on the door and let you know its arrived.

My mail man and UPS driver will when I call to them open the door and hand it to me.
    Do you have room for a stool or decorative small table on the porch? You could put a small note on the door asking them to place the packages on the table or stool.

My dad is 78 and him picking up an item off the ground can be extremely difficult.

Delivery people are extremely rushed these days, so none of them wants to waste time ringing the doorbell and waiting for someone to answer.

I have one of those doorbell cameras with a motion detector, so when they approach the door, I get an alert on my phone. I can adjust the sensitivity so that I'll get an alert if their truck pulls up 30' away on the street.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

Just saw on Graf's website, Hazmat is increasing $7 from $12.50 to $19.50. Thanks Biden.