Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Baby monitor cam for shooting

Baby monitor cam for shooting

Has anyone used a baby monitor cam or mini security camera for shooting? My plan is to mount the camera on a tripod in front00 yard target and view the target on my cell phone. Anyone done this? How did it work out?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

It could work. Sandbags or other protection might be in order.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Yeah. I hear you.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned

Works for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Could be handy for watching a pig bait at night too. Sometimes there is just nowhere to sit where you can both watch the bait and not give your scent to the intending customers. Baby cam would let you watch from further away and then sneak up. Solar powered security lights work too, once the customers have a couple of nights to get used to them, but baby cam would be better. Problem is most acute on a moonless night, requiring closer observation, when sometimes the first indication of a customer is the startled grunt from just behind the chair. Need to find a good battery powered baby monitor.

Oops, getting off thread. Sorry about that. But I would like to hear any recommendations for a good battery powered BM.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 05-13-2021 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Apology
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Bub
    Sound like a simple plan that should work fine.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you found a baby monitor cam that ran off 6 or 12 volts and then built a larger battery pack out of C or D cells, or just use a lead-acid deep cycle battery (golf cart battery prices are lowest and sometimes you can get tired ones CHEAP, they won't give full power but will run a small load for a looong time!) you could run it a week off enough battery. Don't have to use the official batteries.

Friend takes electric shavers he gets and glues or screws a battery box for AA batteries onto it, easy to recharge NiMH's and it lasts a lot of shaving between needed charges. He's pretty pleased with it.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend of mine has used one for a couple of years, it was not cheap several hundred dollars when he bought it he uses it at the 500 meter mound and it is crystal clear it beats using a spotting scope.

I have used a broken drone, it wouldn’t fly but the camera still worked, just set it down by the target.

I was looking at these on Amazon just a couple of days ago. Seems the good ones have a camera that only runs off 110vAC. So at the range it would require a battery and an inverter. For watching bait it would have to be a BIG battery. But for some reason most of them have battery powered receivers, (rechargeable). Sadly the battery life is typically quoted as 4-5 hours in video mode.

I pretty much gave up on them for watching targets. Might buy one for watching for raccoons near the trash cans, though.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    If you have an old smart phone sitting around, they can make pretty good remote cameras. You can connect it to your normal phone by setting up the a wi-fi hot spot on it. Lots of apps out there to stream video via wi-fi without needing a SIM card in a phone. A neighbor uses an old iPhone taped to his window so he can check on his hummingbird feeder while he's at work.