Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your experience with the Ruger Mark II Semi-auto .22 handgun?

ADMIN

I learned to shoot on a Mk1 taper barrel that is as old as I am.
    Shot straight and yes if you shot cheap ammo and didn't clean it regularly it would occasionally jam up but that was only after several hundred rounds.

I own 3 Ruger Mk style 22 pistols.

(1) Mk 3 - 22/45 - started out as a 6 inch fluted stainless - its now a 6 inch integrated suppressed
    (2) Mk 2 - 22/45 - 4 inch blue bull
    (3) MK 2 - with mk3 22/45 lower - 6 inch blue bull

I was given the 6 inch receiver so I located a bolt and grip frame.
    All the MK3 lowers have had the mag disconnect removed.
    The suppressed has one of the quick takedowns installed. You can remove the bolt without taking the grip frame off of it.
    Just remove a allen head bolt and it slides right out.

Boolit Master
    I have a MKIII Hunter which is a mixed bag. The sights don't work for me, and it's not uncommon for me to get hit with tiny fragments of... something... when shooting it. It's unnerving. Seems to be accurate, as long as it doesn't jam. Jamming is ammo dependant regardless of how clean it is.

Would be improved by a red dot or scope.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 4" taper barrel with fixed sights and much prefer my friends bull barrel with adjustable sights for accuracy. I highly recommend adding the Volquartsen trigger.
    Great shooting guns.

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I learned to shoot on a Mk1 taper barrel that is as old as I am.
    Shot straight and yes if you shot cheap ammo and didn't clean it regularly it would occasionally jam up but that was only after several hundred rounds.

I own 3 Ruger Mk style 22 pistols.

(1) Mk 3 - 22/45 - started out as a 6 inch fluted stainless - its now a 6 inch integrated suppressed
    (2) Mk 2 - 22/45 - 4 inch blue bull
    (3) MK 2 - with mk3 22/45 lower - 6 inch blue bull

I was given the 6 inch receiver so I located a bolt and grip frame.
    All the MK3 lowers have had the mag disconnect removed.
    The suppressed has one of the quick takedowns installed. You can remove the bolt without taking the grip frame off of it.
    Just remove a allen head bolt and it slides right out.
    Tell Ruger it's spitting in your face. They may take it back and repair it. Mention it is a safety concern, as it could injure an eye, even when wearing glasses if they don't have side shields.

Boolit Master

I learned to shoot handgun with my Dad's Mk 1 6 7/8" taper barrel standard model. When I became an adult the first handgun I bought was the Mk2 version of that, lightly used for the princely sum of $125 in 1993. Recently I traded a stainless heavy barrel Mk3 with a leupold 2x on top to my Dad for that original Mk1 because I really wanted it, and he couldn't shoot it well any more. He would have given it to me, and in fact has given me plenty, but everyone needs a semi-auto .22 pistol they can shoot.

I just shot targets with the Mk1, but with the Mk2, I shot a pile of rabbits and a few squirrels with CCI minimags, as well as one unlucky quail that fell to a quick shot using a CCI shot load. Yes those #12 pellets can kill at under 10 yards, and although they don't cycle the action, a quick pull of the bolt and you are reloaded.

Honestly, I've never disassembled any of these pistols, and I've shot them a lot. Flush out the action with a cleaner, scrub and dry, then oil. Maybe I've been lucky but that's all they've ever needed.

If you don't have one, you should get one.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Looking for comments about its accuracy, dependability, any quirks.

I'm interested in the taper barrel models, both target version with tapered barrel and adjustable sights, as well as the four-inch, fixed sight model.

Look forward to your comments. Thanks.
    I used a MK II with 6-7/8" taper Target barrel when I shot in a Pistol League in the 1990s (I also used a Ruger P89 for the CF div).
    I bought the MK II second hand, but it reportedly had less than a Brick shot through it. The gun was very tight and was difficult to disassemble and reassemble. After the first season of League was over, the gun became worn enough to be easy to dissassemble and reassemble, but wasn't noticeably loose when using it. I used that gun for five years of league shooting, and was in one of the top 3 placings both of the last two years. I loved that gun, it was just a joy to shoot and maintain. The last year of League, they paid cash prizes and I won enough to order a New MK II Government with slab side barrel. I then sold the other MK II. Long story short, I should have kept it I miss that worn gun, as the new one is tight like the previous one was when I got it. sadly, I don't shoot 22 much now that the League became defunct, so that gun is still "too" tight.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a MKI 6 7/8". I have put untold thousands of rounds thru it. Think I have cleaned it twice in the 45 years I have owned it, not because it was causing problems, but just because I figured it needed cleaning. Still runs like a champ.
    Simple to take apart and put back together.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a Mk II I've owned since '87. Love it. Taught my kids to shoot with it. Even after all the abuse that the kids put it through it's still as accurate as when new. Bought a Mk III SS Hunter years later and just about ruined a mag during disassembly. LCI was nothing but a crud trap. Got rid of the LCI and mag safety after the first two months which improved the disassembly and cleaning but I still prefer the Mk II.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine was purchased about 15 years ago , second hand . Standard MKII stainless 4" bbl , fixed sights .
    It was sent by original owner , to Clark Custom Guns where they did a sweet Target Trigger job , Reliability package and tuned the 4 magazines ... They custom mounted a Millet SP-1 Red Dot sight ... the result was the little ruger turned into a TACK driver ... My S&W model 41 is so jealous ... it wishes it could shoot such tiny groups . I don't know what them boys do to triggers ... but if I ever come into a few extra bucks ... I'm sending the Model 41 to Clark Custom for a trigger job and red dot sight mount .
    I had stopped shooting handguns because my aging and failing eyes couldn't see open irons any longer ... the Ruger MKII , trigger job and Red Dot sight made me a contender on the target range again . I have nothing but good things to say about the MKII ... Five Stars !
    Gary
    I owned a MKI Target for decades so assembly was never a problem for me .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I used a MK II with 6-7/8" taper Target barrel when I shot in a Pistol League in the 1990s (I also used a Ruger P89 for the CF div).
    I bought the MK II second hand, but it reportedly had less than a Brick shot through it. The gun was very tight and was difficult to disassemble and reassemble. After the first season of League was over, the gun became worn enough to be easy to dissassemble and reassemble, but wasn't noticeably loose when using it. I used that gun for five years of league shooting, and was in one of the top 3 placings both of the last two years. I loved that gun, it was just a joy to shoot and maintain. The last year of League, they paid cash prizes and I won enough to order a New MK II Government with slab side barrel. I then sold the other MK II. Long story short, I should have kept it I miss that worn gun, as the new one is tight like the previous one was when I got it. sadly, I don't shoot 22 much now that the League became defunct, so that gun is still "too" tight.
    Advice from my Dad ..." Don't ever sell a gun you like ... you will usually regret it ."
    My old man gave out some pretty good advice ... and I learned to listen to him .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I have several, including a Standard 4" tapered, a couple Gov't Model 6 7/8" MKII's, and a bull 4" 22/45. I've never cared much for the "newer" MK III's and such, to me the pinnacle was the Mark II.

I bought my first Standard back in '66, $37.50 as I recall, in Colorado Springs. It stayed with me for several years and I gave it to a cousin when I shipped out for my first tour in Vietnam. He liked it as much as I, and still has it.

I didn't replace it till 2015, when I won one in a GB auction. It's the NRA Commemorative Mkll, with the 4-5/8" bbl. It's every bit as accurate as my M41 Smith when fed Mini-Mags, or Federal Auto-Match, (offhand, with me doing the shooting) but will do just fine with about any .22 brand you can name.

It came with a set of imitation ivory stocks that were a bit gaudy for my tastes so I replaced them with a set of Hogues. I've not taken it down for cleaning as yet (~400 rounds through it now), and have had no feeding or jamming issues. I do hose it out with break cleaner once in awhile, and also run a .22 caliber bore snake though it. This effectively keeps the .22 grease/powder residue crud from building up.

Wish it had adj. sights, but the ones on it are easily drifted/filed to fit your favorite load. Too, the trigger isn't much to write home about, but in truth, I shoot it offhand, as well as my M41 Smith...go figure? Also gotta say, it's the hands down plinking favorite with my wife and some non-shooter type friends. Here's the gun and the holster I built for it. For field use, I stuff a cpl of extra mags in my pocket. Rod

Last edited by Rodfac; 06-01-2021 at 10:21 PM.
    Rod

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the Volquartsen trigger and sear. You will not regret it, and if you're like me you'll be surprised how much better you can hit with it.

Boolit Bub
    I got mine in the 80's. It was stupid accurate, and utterly reliable.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    Another vote for the Volquartsen trigger and sear. You will not regret it, and if you're like me you'll be surprised how much better you can hit with it.
    Just put that same trigger and sear in my MkIII 22/45, and it's incredible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123