RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your experience with the Ruger Mark II Semi-auto .22 handgun?

Your experience with the Ruger Mark II Semi-auto .22 handgun?

Looking for comments about its accuracy, dependability, any quirks.

I'm interested in the taper barrel models, both target version with tapered barrel and adjustable sights, as well as the four-inch, fixed sight model.

Look forward to your comments. Thanks.

I had a Mark 2 target with the 6 7/8" barrel that taught me to shoot handguns. I killed a truckload of squirrels with it in the late 70's through the 80's.

On a good day I could hit a penny within 3 shots at 20 yards. I traded it in in a 51/2" stainless model that was a good gun but that old 6 7/8 shot like a rifle. I still miss it. I traded the 5 1/2" on a k22 and it shoots as well as the old gun did but I still miss it.

I put a lot of shells through it and it was very reliable with Remington gold hollow points and CCI mini mags.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Fabulous gun, very reliable and plenty accurate for plinking and a bit more. Only common complaint is about the disassembly and reassembly, it takes some practice but isn’t hard.

The bull barrel looks better IMO, but I like the balance of the longer tapered barrel.

Mag release is in the heel which you may find unusual or inconvenient. It was relocated in the mkiii and mk iv.

I have one in the 5 1/4" heavy taper. I couldn't be happier. Apparently I was one of the few that liked that length/heavy taper as it was discontinued.

It is more accurate than I & is stone reliable (if kept reasonably clean). The trigger & sights are not quite as good as my High Standard Supermatic (7.5 fluted bbl.), but I haven't found anything that measures up to the HS in trigger/sight department. On the other hand the Ruger is far more reliable & forgiving of different brands & differing quality of ammo than the HS (it'll feed anything).

I did install a Volquartson (spelling?) trigger recently & that put the trigger very close to the HS.

I had one of the original $37.50 models & Like a fool I traded it for something (can't remember for what now). It was the 4" (slightly over 4") light taper bbl.. It was a great gun.

My son in law has a MK II with the 6 7/8" heavy taper bbl. & it has been very reliable. He tips over the IHMSA RF pigs @ 50 yds. off-hand with boring regularity.

IMHO you can't go wrong with a MK II in any bbl. length tapered or bull.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by oldhenry; 05-12-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Boolit Man

I have a Mark 2 22/45 with the 5.5 inch bull barrel and my old man has a 6 7/8 inch tapered original config Mk2. I have found both to be extremely reliable with a good quality ammo and very accurate as well. I feed mine a lot of bulk .22 these days and while it shoots reliably, accuracy suffers a little, these guns will show you the difference in bulk vs quality .22 ammo.

Quirks? Takedown is a real experience. I shot a few bullseye matches for a couple years at my club and the general feedback I got was keep adding oil and shooting. Once things get gummed up too bad to function, then you can worry about taking it down for a cleaning.

If you're looking at shooting "match" and bulk ammo, and trying to wring the most accuracy from both, I'd look for adjustable sights over fixed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Looking for comments about its accuracy, dependability, any quirks.

I'm interested in the taper barrel models, both target version with tapered barrel and adjustable sights, as well as the four-inch, fixed sight model.

Look forward to your comments. Thanks.
    I have the fixed sight model, have had it, on and off, since the late 70's. I shot my concealed carry qualification class with it, and have used it for plinking. Keep it clean, it won't jam. I've not found a .22LR cartridge that it won't feed, either. YMMV.

I must have had a lemon.

Mine was the Slab Side Target Mark II, the highest priced of the models sold in the MKII days. It would not feed and run. I sent it to Ruger. They tightened the fit between the upper and lower halves. The gun improved, but would still only shoot CCI Mini Mags without jamming, and it shot those at 99% reliably. I was using it for steel plate shooting competition; there were lots of guys with similar issues, but gun remained popular due to the endless hope of improvement through after market modifications. I eventually added some Volquartsen action parts to mine, which greatly improved the trigger.

I sold it after a five year battle, bought 2 Beretta Neos’-a gun at the cheap end of the spectrum, and never had an issue with it feeding or firing.

I view the MKII as the Harley Davidson of 22’s—lots of mods available.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a 5.5" heavy barrel new in 1988 or so. I think it was the second handgun I purchased after turning 21. My experience mimics everyone else. More accurate than I am, shoots just about everything that I ran through it, even when the gun is dirty. Putting it back together can be tricky, but not impossible. I switched the front sight out for a fiber optic. I bought a finish challenged one a few years back with the intention of setting it up for a RMR sight so I would have to drill and tap mine. It shoots just as good as the first one.

Boolit Master

Mark II pistols are junk, absolute garbage. Send them to me for proper disposal.

I've got eight different MK II pistols, still looking for a reasonable priced Great Eight. Everything from a 4" tapered to a 10" bull.

The one I shoot the most??? It's a MK III 22/45 RP model. 5.5" bull barrel. I like the frame mounted mag drop. It's pretty tricked out too.

I've never had a problem with any of the Mark pistols. Mine range from good to outstanding accuracy.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    I had two of them. I only have one now. Accurate like a rifle at short distances. The first one that I don’t have in my possession, the ejector was broken in half but it never stopped performing flawlessly. I didn’t know about the Brocken ejector until I was comparing it with the second one. It is one of most favorite handguns.

The Ruger series of semi auto 22 pistols are hard to beat, especially for the money. I couldn’t tell you how many I have owned. I’ve never had one with problems. Out of the box they won’t compete with a full blown target gun like S&W 41 or other competition grade pistols. They don’t cost near as much either. For average plinker you can’t do better. I like them better than next competitors the Buck Mark series and new generation S&W Victory.

My Ruger Mk II and Mk IV are both almost as accurate as my S&W Model 41, and are more reliable than the Model 41. The Rugers will hold their own, and most definitely will compete with high-end target pistols in NRA Precision Pistol competition.

Boolit Master

I have had a MK II 22/45 for years now and it is a very reliable pistol. Accurate enough for my abilities too. I don't think I have ever had a failure to fire or a jam with it and I have fired hundreds of rounds thru it. I like Ruger guns but they can be a hit or miss on accuracy and reliability but Ruger will make them good if you simply contact them. Anybody can make a bad rifle/pistol now and then but it's what they do about it that counts with me. The only thing I don't like about my little 22/45 is the takedown and it is challenging to say the least. But Ruger has taken care of that with their new easy takedown models. my experience, james

Take-down and reassembly of the Mk II is easy if you know how. There are some good YouTube demonstrations.

I bought one of the slab sided SS competition target models some time in the early-mid 90's. It's one of the guns that will be among the last that I'd ever let go should the need ever arise. If you can hold them steady and can see they'll shoot better than you thought possible out of a handgun. The only thing mine won't feed well are bullets that have some sort of shoulder in the profile. RN stuff feeds great as long as they don't have a pronounced shoulder right before the driving surface. Some guys have issues with lining up the hammer strut when putting the gun back together, but as long as you watch the strut and make sure you keep it towards the center it's a non issue. There is an aftermarket part that will guide the hammer strut and make assembly easier if you're one of the people that has issues with them.

Boolit Master

I know how, having owned several from an old Government 1st model to now. I know many knowledgeable gun people who will challenge your statement of "easy". Doable yes, easy no. Bill Ruger was a great gun designer but he just had to do things different from the norm. Just a little quirk of his. If the takedown was easy, Ruger would not have changed the design under pressure from both buyers and competition. Try taking one down with arthritic hands and you finding yourself wishing Bill had just copied the Browning or S&W 41 style takedown. james

Boolit Buddy
    My father bought an early red eagle 4" fixed sight gun in the early '50s and used it to shoot running jack rabbits in front of the beagle. We were not allowed to use shotguns (but could use 22 rifles) as it would not be sporting or "fair" to the rabbits. Unfortunately, he traded it for a later version (still the early gun) that was not as accurate as the original. Later, he bought my brother a 6" fixed sight gun (Mk II) and I bought a blued Mk II 5.5" bull barrel. Over 10,000 rounds through my gun with no issues. I did install the full Volquartson kit in my gun and the trigger is really quite good. Also drilled and tapped it to fit the factory Ruger type ring base which fits right down in behind the rear sight. Looks normal.

Boolit Buddy
    And, I have to add that I would never buy the Mk III with that weird swinging cartridge indicator; talk about the Hillary Hole. That thing looks like a swinging gate on a chainlink fence!

Boolit Master
    I've had a stainless target model for a long time. Little pain to deep clean until you get used to it. I've had a bunch of other 22 target pistols pass through my hands over the years but I still have that Ruger. Never had any issues with it at all. Plenty accurate and consumes most anything I load it with. Also have an original red logo Standard model (early 1951) that has seen a jillion rounds through it. I did finally have to replace the extractor on it a few years ago.
    Last edited by arlon; 05-12-2021 at 03:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Had the heavy barrel and it was more accurate than I was. I finally got tired of standing on my head trying to get it back together and sold it. I preferred my Single Six which wasn't as accurate but still have to carry anyways. When Ruger came out with the easier to disassemble one I got the Mark IV. Had it a year or so and still haven't shot it and with my eyes getting worse I am looking for a small micro
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast