MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I am horrible at grilling. I admit it.

Boolit Grand Master
    On a gas grill, I will turn the temp up high like you did, but will turn it down just below medium before I put the steaks on and I will stay there to cook them. If you go inside to do other stuff, you will forget about the steaks and burn them. I seldom use my gas grill nowadays, but use my Traegar instead unless its really cold out, then its the gas grill.

Haven't used charcoal in years, but grew up with it.

Well done here, but will do medium well if I have to. You can keep your medium done steaks

Don't over cook stuff. Pay attention to what you are doing. Your grill is too hot!

Boolit Master

One way to make grilling easier is to buy a pellet grill.
    I grill steaks on my Pit Boss at 450* and use a temperature probe after I turn it.
    5 minutes per side for a 1" steak will get you a nice med/med rare.
    For slow cooking you can`t beat a pellet grill for us grill challenged folks.

Boolit Master

Grilled again the other night. T-Bones that were purchased as part of the half steer that my girlfriend and her parents purchased. Managed to cook them well done per girlfriend's request, over charcoal, and didn't burn them.

But, they tasted awful. Pretty sure the cow they bought was a free range local cow that ate mostly weeds and wild grass. It tasted gamey. Like an elk steak, which makes sense since the cows and elk are in the same areas, eating the same things, and climbing the same mountains. The hamburger isn't too bad, but it does have a tinge of gaminess to it.

I sure miss Midwest beef! Tastiest beef in the US.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Grilled again the other night. T-Bones that were purchased as part of the half steer that my girlfriend and her parents purchased. Managed to cook them well done per girlfriend's request, over charcoal, and didn't burn them.

But, they tasted awful. Pretty sure the cow they bought was a free range local cow that ate mostly weeds and wild grass. It tasted gamey. Like an elk steak, which makes sense since the cows and elk are in the same areas, eating the same things, and climbing the same mountains. The hamburger isn't too bad, but it does have a tinge of gaminess to it.

I sure miss Midwest beef! Tastiest beef in the US.
    Yeah the walking steaks a few feet away are some of the best I've ever had.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123