Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am horrible at grilling. I admit it.

Boolit Master

I am horrible at grilling. I admit it.

I consider myself a manly man who can do most of the manly tasks you would expect, such as sharpen a knife, use a chainsaw, build a deck, remodel a bathroom, etc. Plus I can saddle a horse, rebuild a motor, and cast boolits; Bonus points manly tasks.

But I am awful at grilling.

Oh, I can fire up a grill and get a nice ribeye steak prepped for cooking, but then I ruin it.

My girlfriend filled my freezer with a 1/4 steer she bought. Asked me to cook some steaks last night. I have a grill that one half is gas, and the other half is charcoal. I like the gas side because I'm lazy.

So I get the grille heated up to 600 degrees, get the steaks rubbed in butter, then seasoned, and throw them on the grille. Go inside to start baking the vegetables in olive oil and a few minutes later go out to find the grill spitting out fire and the steaks burned to a crisp. Grease caught fire.

So tonight, my girlfriend wanted burgers and insisted on charcoal. How can you screw up burgers? I will find a way. So I go on YouTube and look up instructions on how to grill the perfect burger. I get the coals burning and perfectly hot. Prepared the patties, season them, and put them on the grille.

I watch them like a hawk. Grease flames up and briefly thought I had ruined more meat, but I was able to lower the coals and avert disaster.

They actually turned out pretty good.

My girlfriend has forbid me from using the gas part of the grille, unless I'm cooking corn.

Looking forward to trying to cook steaks again using charcoal. Any tips?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Spend $30 or so on a thermometer with a remote display, and temp warnings.

You can set what ever temps, and most have multiple probes so you can have one in the steak, and one on the actual grill, so if things get wonky, you will have a warning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    You're turning the gas up too high. Turn it down and give it longer to heat up. The grill surface temperature matters, that's how you get good grill marks. The flame being too high makes it more likely to flare up. On my 6 burner gas grill I turn in all 6 on the lowest setting, and it hits 500+ in about 5-7 minutes.

When it's good and up to temp, throw the meat on, close the lid, and leave it closed for 3-6 minutes, depending on how well done you like it and how thick it is. I like 4 minutes per side, in a 500 degree grill for a regular inch thick steak. Gives you a nice medium rare.

Only turn it once, but once it's turned you can open it a few times to check doneness with your tongs. It takes a few times to get a feel for doneness, but you don't want it too firm or you'll turn it into jerky.

Also, a gas grill with a cast-iron grate makes a world of difference. The round, steel grates suck. A set of these will change your perspective on gas grills.

EDIT: I have a set of temp probes too, but I really only use them for chicken and pork. You can eat underdone beef, but underdone chicken is bad.

Boolit Master

My girlfriend refuses to eat any meat with pink showing. It's frustrating. I find a ribeye tastes best at medium rare, so I try to cook mine that way. I have to try and cook hers thoroughly and it always comes out tough and flavorless.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My girlfriend refuses to eat any meat with pink showing. It's frustrating. I find a ribeye tastes best at medium rare, so I try to cook mine that way. I have to try and cook hers thoroughly and it always comes out tough and flavorless.
    Too hot too fast. You have to slow it down to cook it all the way through without either burning the outside or turning it into jerky. So bring the flame down considerably, turn yours a couple minutes before you turn hers, and take yours off while it's still soft to the touch. Hers should feel firm when you press on it with the tongs.

And remember, taking it off the heat doesn't make it stop cooking. It keeps cooking after you take it off, so err on the side of slightly underdone. And you need to let it rest for at least 5 minutes before you cut into it, or all the juice pours out and you end up with a dry steak. If you're worried about it getting cold while it rests, make a tent from tin foil to put over it.

Half my family likes it medium rare, and the other half I haven't converted yet, so I have to do it both ways too.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Each grill has it's own quirks. I turn our grill on to high to let it warm up, but then turn the heat down to low or if it's windy or super cold perhaps as high as halfway between low and medium. That gets the steaks a good sear initially to lock in the juices, but doesn't try to burn the outside into carbon. If you sear the outside you really don't need to put oil or butter on them which can drip off and start a flair up right under the steaks and burn them before you notice.

Those thermometers are awesome for pork tenderloins in the oven. Oven at 425, pan sear the loins, put in 13x9 ceramic dish, drizzle in olive oil and seasoning and go watch tv until the temp says 145, then take them out and let them set for 10 minutes before cutting up. They'll continue to cook and will usually hit 160-170.

Boolit Master
    And don't give up!

If you can cast boolets you can cook a steak. Same thing: temperature and timing. And practice.

Also, forget the marinades and brushing, a steak can stand on it's own. Salt heavier than you think you want at least 20 minutes before it's ready to go on the grill, and slap it on there. If you love the butter, put a pat on top after you take it off the grill to melt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Too hot too fast. You have to slow it down to cook it all the way through without either burning the outside or turning it into jerky. So bring the flame down considerably, turn yours a couple minutes before you turn hers, and take yours off while it's still soft to the touch. Hers should feel firm when you press on it with the tongs.

And remember, taking it off the heat doesn't make it stop cooking. It keeps cooking after you take it off, so err on the side of slightly underdone. And you need to let it rest for at least 5 minutes before you cut into it, or all the juice pours out and you end up with a dry steak. If you're worried about it getting cold while it rests, make a tent from tin foil to put over it.

Half my family likes it medium rare, and the other half I haven't converted yet, so I have to do it both ways too.

Great stuff!

However, I am forbid from using gas in the future, so will have to figure out how to deal with coals. At least my grille is fancy enough that it has the coals on a tray that I can raise and lower as needed, and has adjustable air vents and a chimney to try and regulate the temps.

I was always told the best tasting steaks were cooked hot and fast, to seal in the juices and caramelize the fat. It's not working too well from what I've seen.

Boolit Master
    I was always told the best tasting steaks were cooked hot and fast, to seal in the juices and caramelize the fat. It's not working too well from what I've seen.
    That's true. But the best steaks are pretty rare. Just seared on the outside, leave the inside alone. But if you have to cook it through you gotta slow it down.

You still want the grill hot, but you don't want flames actually licking the steak.

Boolit Master
    my wife likes medium rare me i like medium .funny as she was almost a vegie when i met her.

I have a pellet grill and I enjoy it very much. I’ve made notes to help me get better at cooking on it. Steaks turn out wonderful with the right marinade and cooked at the right temperature.
    350 degrees grill
    Put steaks on, not over any flame and close the lid.
    Don’t peek
    After 6 minutes flip the steaks, add a sprinkle of salt/pepper mix, and close the lid.
    Don’t peek
    After 6 minutes flip and sprinkle with salt/pepper mix.
    Cook until internal temperature is to your liking. Mine is 145 to 150.
    Let the steaks rest for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting them.

I hope this helps. Enjoy
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

My dad was a well done steak guy. One year we were vacationing with the whole family (4 kids) and some friends. Well the cabin we were in was basically one big room. Dad came in from fishing late, mom cooked him a steak for supper. He ate it in the dark.

The next morning he woke up and walked by his plate from the night before. There was that T-bone bone. Medium to medium rare.

Dad fought manly with himself for the next 2 minutes. Then admitted that was the best steak he had ever had.
    For the rest of his life he ordered them medium rare. He taught all of us kids to do likewise.

Personally I disagree with the chart above a little. I like a "Hot pink center" Not red, not up to temp.
    I use a bit of Adolph's meat tenderizer on both sides and a sprinkle of garlic. Maybe a touch of salt when its done.

Grandpa would eat them a lot more rare than us. "Butcher them with a really hot knife" was his saying of choice.
    I've never tried it as I did not want to ruin the temper of one of my good carbon steel knives.

But what a man thinks he wants and what his taste buds wants can be quite different. Skewed by perspective and past history.

I think we should all eat a steak in the dark from time to time.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

We like ours at least medium well. Just slightly pink. I dont trust store bought garbage and want mine safe.
    You have to slow it down. It takes me AT LEAST a half hour to grill a steak. 300-350 tops and indirect heat.
    It dont matter with gas or charcoal, its all the same. Slow it down and stay off the flame and it will come out tender and juicy. You can always sear it at the end if you have to.
    I laugh at the people that think it has to be rare to be tender and juicy and that is "the only proper way to cook a steak". That just means they need more practice. I prefer the flavor of more done.
    I prefer charcoal flavor but you have to throw the briquets away. Lump wood coal only.
    If you want a bit of smokey flavor on a gas grill, get a couple tuna cans and torch off the protective coating. Then add some sawdust or fine chips and set it over the flame
    Last edited by reloader28; 05-12-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    Since 1980: Start with Weber kettle. Add lump charcoal lit with chimney, level and cover with a thin layer of additional lump. In about 5 minutes put steaks on grill and cover. Don't even think of walking away! Turn 1-1/4" steaks in 2:30 for med-rare/ 3:00 for medium. Done @ 4:30-5:00 minutes for med-rare; @ 5:00-5:30 minutes for medium.

1" steaks will go even faster. There isn't time to get another beer or bourbon so have it at your side when you start!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    We like ours at least medium well. Just slightly pink. I dont trust store bought garbage and want mine safe.
    You have to slow it down. It takes me AT LEAST a half hour to grill a steak. 300-350 tops and indirect heat.
    It dont matter with gas or charcoal, its all the same. Slow it down and stay off the flame and it will come out tender and juicy. You can always sear it at the end if you have to.
    I laugh at the people that think it has to be rare to be tender and juicy and that is "the only proper way to cook a steak". That just means they need more practice. I prefer the flavor of more done.
    I prefer charcoal flavor but you have to throw the briquets away. Lump wood coal only.
    If you want a bit of smokey flavor on a gas grill, get a couple tuna cans and torch off the protective coating. Then add some sawdust or fine chips and set it over the flame
    So why not just bake it in the oven? The benefit of grilling is in the char and you don’t get that without more intense heat. The trick is in balancing. Some folks will bake, cook indirect, or sous vide for the cooking, then put in on a hot grill or griddle to get the outside cooked to their liking.

To the op, for well done without making shoe leather it really helps to pull the steaks and let them come up to room temp first. I also have a diverse family, from bloody rare to well done. My daughters used to cut off the outside and just eat the red center.

Boolit Grand Master

I learned from my Dad . He believed you couldn't cook meat long enough . Crispy and extra crispy were our choices ... He pioneered Blackening ...
    I learned well ... I can overcook anything ... my kids thought hamburger buns were supposed to be black ... I burned em every time .
    I've since been banished from grilling ... the kids do a much better job ! My son grills chicken and fish perfectly ... No Thanks to Me ... I just don't have the grilling knack .
    I do best in the kitchen with pots , pans and gas stove .
    A man has to know his limitations !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    My girlfriend refuses to eat any meat with pink showing.
    Get a new girlfriend!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I have a pellet grill and I enjoy it very much. I’ve made notes to help me get better at cooking on it. Steaks turn out wonderful with the right marinade and cooked at the right temperature.
    350 degrees grill
    Put steaks on, not over any flame and close the lid.
    Don’t peek
    After 6 minutes flip the steaks, add a sprinkle of salt/pepper mix, and close the lid.
    Don’t peek
    After 6 minutes flip and sprinkle with salt/pepper mix.
    Cook until internal temperature is to your liking. Mine is 145 to 150.
    Let the steaks rest for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting them.

I hope this helps. Enjoy
    I love my turd burner. I had a Traeger for quite a while. When we moved I gave it to my fishing buddy.

The day we signed on the house here I ordered a Rec-Tec. We use it 4-5 times a week.

They way I like to do steaks on the Rec-Tec is to set it to 225, season the steaks and put them in. Leave them there till they're done. I like medium rare and with a nice Costco prime grade steak it takes around an hour at a minimum.

Cooking at this low temp brings more smoke into contact with the meat. Done correctly your steak will be brick red on the outside, that's the smoke ring!!!!

I always end up with a nice tender juicy smoked steak.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I use my grill to render lead on the side burner. I don't like grilling meat anyway. Crockpot is my way to go.

Moderator Emeritus

On a multi burner gas grill turn one burner to max to sear the steaks over then another to medium/medium low to finish them over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast