RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Black powder in modern .38 spl. revolver

Boolit Buddy

Black powder in modern .38 spl. revolver

Has anyone tried black in a modern .38 revolver? I have loaded black in a Ruger BH, .45 Colt, but have not tried it in a modern DA revolver. Any info is appreciated

Boolit Master
    I shot bp in a S&W Model 25-5. As I recall, things went well and clean up was as easy as any bp revolver.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks, Kevin. I have components for now. Just looking for options.

I found this thread from long ago, it has a few good recommended loads in it. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...k-powder-loads
    Last edited by scattershot; 05-11-2021 at 11:54 PM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    I made some loads up a while back. 17 grains of Goex 2f, compressed with a wad and grease cookie. Lots of fun in a S&W model 60 snubbie. Can feel the heat from the muzzle flash.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Black powder is my primary powder for Cowboy action matches ... cap & ball revolvers in 38 and 44’s. Center fires I have been shooting for decades 45 Colts in my revolvers, rifles and shotguns
    Black powder in all firearms is not new, it is the original powder before smokeless going back pre 1900
    Regards
    John

How about black powder .45 ACP in a M1911? You can find most anything on Youtube.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...314B275B3F9A19

Boolit Master
    I loaded up some .357 with pyrodex one time. Shot them out of a Ruger SP101, or should say ATTEMPTED to shoot them. I got only 2 rounds to fire before the cylinder locked up due to powder residue. Those same loads worked great in a single action revolver.

Boolit Buddy

Good info. Thanks.

John, Although I've not tried genuine BP in the .38Spl., I have successfully tried it in my Ruger SBH (.44 mag.) with a Keith CB. I encountered no problems with accuracy, cylinder binding or difficult clean up. What you'll need though is a decent BP lube on your CB's, perhaps omit the grease wad, and change the BP granulation to FFFg. You'll also want to damp swab the bore and cylinder face after every 5 or 6 shots to remove problematic fouling. Lastly, if you can manually remove the primers from the fired cases, e.g., via a Lee base and punch, drop them into a container of soapy water with some white vinegar added, clean up of the now empty cartridges will go that much faster. Yes, they'll be tarnished, but a vibratory or other tumbler will remove said tarnish. Lastly, if your gun is blued make sure you are fastidious in cleaning and oiling it after BP use.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Maven, thanks for the treatise how to load and clean black powder firearms.
    * I shoot the many hand guns at least twice a month, average 400 per rounds
    * Am at the range once or twice month with multiple BP reload single shot rifles
    * I travel to Ridgway Rifle Club average 3 time a year with about a dozen BP SS rifles and over a 1000 rounds of BP reloads
    When my firearms go back in the safes they are spotlessly clean after shooting multiple grades of black powder and the spent cases are de-primed and cleaned with Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution - 3mm ceramic media and a 2 second squirt of Dawn ... ready to be reloaded again
    After shooting black powder for over 40 years, believe I know how and what has to be done to shoot & maintain my 37 caliber's of firearms ... from 22 LR reloads to 50-70's and several metric calibers in fire arms, the oldest being an 1872 Tip Up in reformed 25 Stevens reformed rounds
    Last edited by John Boy; 05-12-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    Regards
    John