Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Laser sight mount for 1858 Remington NMA

Boolit Mold

Laser sight mount for 1858 Remington NMA

Hi All,

after a long search I found out that there is no such thing as picatinny, weaver or any other mount type for the 1858 Remington, at least I never
    found any, ever.
    So I had to design my own.

*** NOTE: Before you read more - this version works only if the barrel at its full length is unobstructed, having no other sight or latch lock on it. ***

The important thing was to have the DIY mount locked at 2 spots at least to ensure that it does not move unintended.
    The ring for the mount on the barrel is quite straightforward. As a second spot to fix it I used the bottom side of the frame where the
    pin locking latch goes. (Oh yes I am using a self-made latch for locking the pin - another project - 3D model available as well)
    The frame has an 5mm wide cut there, suitable for the mount part to plug in, while keeping tension also from the outer side by a half ring. Better seen on the pics.
    This way the mount is slipping onto the barrel and into the bottom frame at the same time.

On the first version, the final lock was done via a screw on the barrel ring.
    See pic 1 and 2.

On the last version, I redesigned the shape of the mount.
    Now the bottom half-tube grip is stronger and I am using a plastic clip on top instead of the hole-screw fix.
    This clip provides the right tension for the barrel ring and the removal of the mount does not need any equipment.
    I have added one more "tooth" to the end of the rail so the laser sight can be fixed closer to the trigger guard.
    This way switching the laser on/off can easily be done by the index finger while holding the gun.
    See pic 3 to 5.

As for the laser sight I chose the Umarex Laser Tac which is quite small and has an easy lock on the rail (no need for screws and such).

The design and printing took 2+ days, with a lot of trials and errors until the final version was born.

The result provides a perfect lock and the Umarex stuff is a perfect sight for the job.
    Sure I have the possibility to exchange the laser anytime for any other accessory that is using a standard 22mm rail.

The files for printing the OLD version 22mm rail are available on the following link:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4807950

The files for the new, improved version will be loaded to Thingiverse soon, I will post the link later on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	osnl1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	282802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	osnl2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	282803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snl1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	282804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snl2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	282805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snl3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	282806

I have 2 TODO's still:
    - redesign the mount a bit so it also locks the cylinder pin
    - find a solution for those who do not want either to remove all the sights and locks from the barrel or cut the barrel

For any questions, ideas feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by LarsUlmann; 05-11-2021 at 04:33 AM. Reason: add video

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Interesting! You could split the barrel band in a few ways, to handle your 2nd todo, that I can think of, you may come up with more

I hadn't gotten around to thinking BPR 3d printed mods yet, so many other things queued up already...

Boolit Master

Nice job!

Hi LarsUlmann,
    First, welcome to Cast Boolits! That's a very creative, and well executed application using a 3D printer! I'll be watching to see what your solutions are going to be for the two TODO's you mentioned.
    Ed

Banned

What a waste of time and money!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    What a waste of time and money!
    Waste of money? Why? It did not cost me nothing.
    Waste of time? Why? How better would I spend it @home while working from HO?
    These kinda Remingtons are widespread here in EU and many people are searching for a rail solution.
    Here is one.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If they're entertaining themselves, and not hurting you or yours, how is this "bad"?

Now, if he took up something evil like stamp collecting, or -shudders- Golf, I could understand objecting LOL