MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you shoot 6.5 Creedmoor in a .308 rifle?

Boolit Master

Can you shoot 6.5 Creedmoor in a .308 rifle?

Yes you can. But you don't want to...

My brother and I met up for a range session this morning. He's an overworked Detective and father of two toddlers, so he hasn't had a range session in months. He brought probably 10 different rifles and shotguns in 8 different calibers which were: .22 LR, .17 HMR, .223, 7.62x39, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, .308 Win, and 12 GA.

He brought out his beloved Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 and in a new Magpul stock. He also just got it back from a gunsmith who replaced the trigger due to a recall.

Attachment 282796

He began firing it at 25 yards and was confused as to why it wasn't on paper. I told him to remove the bolt and look down the bore and compare it to the scope to see if it was close. He couldn't do that with the Magpul stock since the comb was too high.

He handed me the box of ammo he was using to show me that it was very high quality and expensive Federal Match ammo. I looked it over and handed it back to him. You can see it in the basket next to his elbow in the above photo.

I continued to fire my rifle while he struggled with his. He was getting increasingly frustrated until he finally walked up to within 15 yards of the target and fired into it twice...

Attachment 282797

The bullets were clearly tumbling. I told him that mean't that the bullets were severely undersized to the bore.

His eyes got big, and he picked up the nearly empty box of ammo and started cursing. Yep, he had been shooting very expensive 6.5 Creeedmoor match ammo in his .308 rifle.

This is what a 6.5 Creedmoor case looks like after being fire-formed to a .308 chamber. It's the one on the right...

Attachment 282799

I told him his rifle was fine and to run a patch through it and use the proper ammo. He did, and promptly shot a group that made my 7/8" group look like a sloppy shotgun pattern...

Attachment 282800
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Glad it's alright.

Boolit Buddy
    Many years ago I went to the range with a friend and was shooting, he fired off his '06 and the bullet hit the ground about 50 yards out?? When he ejected the case it was straight walled! He had loaded his '06 with a .308! He had two similar guns in '06 and .308 but brought the wrong ammo. I let him shoot my rifle some so he wouldn't waste his range fees.

That's ALMOST a good way to make .300 Savage brass......
    It's better to be dumb in the safe direction- rather than 7mm-08 in a 25-06 or .300BO in a .223!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    You can also shoot 30-30 in a 32 Winchester Special
    Hick: Iron sights!

30/06 in .338/06 as well.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    You can shoot 7.6 Creedmoor in a .308 though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	creed76top.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	283068
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

what? is that for real?

Boolit Master
    Isn't the 7.62 Creedmoor AKA .30 TC....... I have fired 300 Savage in 308 Winchester, nothing spectacular happens, just a short-necked fire-formed .308 case. A case head separation is possible with old/tired/junk brass or if you keep doing it with the same piece of brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Been there, my 7-08 reloads didn’t shoot very good in my 308.

Boolit Buddy
    Supposedly when the USN converted all of its M-1's to 7.62NATO, some of the rifles lost the chamber insert. There are stories of sailors firing 7.62 in a 30-06 chamber and still functioning. Can you fire 6.5 in a 308? Yes. Should you? No.

Boolit Master
    You do not want to try an 8mm Mauser in a 30-06 chamber.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    You can shoot 7.6 Creedmoor in a .308 though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	creed76top.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	283068
    I love it! Totally telling people that's what my new Ruger Predator rifle is chambered in.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    It is possible to shoot 303 Savage in a SMLE 303 British. Creates a very short necked case. I didn't do it but people at an ajacent did. Got a new/used SMLE and went to buy ammo. Asked for 303 ammo and was given/sold 303 Savage. Didn't have much recoil and wasn't very accurate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    It is possible to shoot 303 Savage in a SMLE 303 British. Creates a very short necked case. I didn't do it but people at an ajacent did. Got a new/used SMLE and went to buy ammo. Asked for 303 ammo and was given/sold 303 Savage. Didn't have much recoil and wasn't very accurate.
    I saw some guys I knew who weren't real gun saavy about 30 years ago do just this. I didn't think much about it then, but since becoming a Savage 99 fan, I could cry over the waste now.

Boolit Mold
    8x57 fired in a 9.3x57 Husqvarna gives you fireformed 9.3x57 brass!
    Waste if 8mm bullets though.

Boolit Grand Master
    yep it pays to put some thought into what you are doing
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    .308 Creedmoor wildcat cartridge. Gotta love it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yes you can. But you don't want to...

My brother and I met up for a range session this morning. He's an overworked Detective and father of two toddlers, so he hasn't had a range session in months. He brought probably 10 different rifles and shotguns in 8 different calibers which were: .22 LR, .17 HMR, .223, 7.62x39, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, .308 Win, and 12 GA.

He brought out his beloved Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 and in a new Magpul stock. He also just got it back from a gunsmith who replaced the trigger due to a recall.

Attachment 282796

He began firing it at 25 yards and was confused as to why it wasn't on paper. I told him to remove the bolt and look down the bore and compare it to the scope to see if it was close. He couldn't do that with the Magpul stock since the comb was too high.

He handed me the box of ammo he was using to show me that it was very high quality and expensive Federal Match ammo. I looked it over and handed it back to him. You can see it in the basket next to his elbow in the above photo.

I continued to fire my rifle while he struggled with his. He was getting increasingly frustrated until he finally walked up to within 15 yards of the target and fired into it twice...

Attachment 282797

The bullets were clearly tumbling. I told him that mean't that the bullets were severely undersized to the bore.

His eyes got big, and he picked up the nearly empty box of ammo and started cursing. Yep, he had been shooting very expensive 6.5 Creeedmoor match ammo in his .308 rifle.

This is what a 6.5 Creedmoor case looks like after being fire-formed to a .308 chamber. It's the one on the right...

Attachment 282799

I told him his rifle was fine and to run a patch through it and use the proper ammo. He did, and promptly shot a group that made my 7/8" group look like a sloppy shotgun pattern...

Attachment 282800

He should not be shooting at all, he certainly didn't detect the wrong ammo situation.
    Not much of a detective...........
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
    He should not be shooting at all, he certainly didn't detect the wrong ammo situation.
    Not much of a detective...........
    Thanks for making Castboolits a better place with your kind words and positive interactions. Or not...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast