Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 s&w experiment

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdTennCoC View Post
    I have been looking for a decent .361 mold lately as well as debating a .358 hb mold too. With these initial hot loads I figured I'd use some of the light 125 LRN boolits I have on hand, have a surplus of them, they are .359
    Accurate Molds can make a mold that drops .361. Look in his catalogue, when you select a style you like, you can configure a mold and select the dia. Good luck finding a .361 mold. BTW, Ebay is probably the worst to find a boolit mold.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy

Cool

All the info was for 38 s&w from Speer manuals 8 and 12. Yes, there are some jword loads too. All published loads as I too would be concerned with the experimental loads talked about
    Yes, “published“ loads, but perhaps not pressure-tested. Early Speer data was sometimes flat dangerous! My favorites included some .45 Auto Rim loads giving a 200-grain jacketed bullet up to 1345 fps! Just because it’s “published” doesn’t mean it’s safe.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Larry Gibson pressure tested some .38 S&W loads for me for use in the Lend - Lease S&W Victory models. He also has developed safe loads for the various top-breaks. If you specify which revolver you want to load for we can help. Short answer don't exceed 2 grains of Bullseye or Titegroup with 145-155 grain bullets in the top breaks or 2.5 grains with 175-195 grain in the S&W Victory if you want the gun to last.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

PC, I fully understand where you are coming from, just trying to give some other considerations other than experiments that have a higher likelihood of making things change their current state of togetherness. Sorry if I have caused consternation.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacker Berg View Post
    PC, I fully understand where you are coming from, just trying to give some other considerations other than experiments that have a higher likelihood of making things change their current state of togetherness. Sorry if I have caused consternation.
    A bit off the thread, but your phrase :” experiments that have a higher likelihood of making things change their current state of togetherness”, was hilarious. Thank you.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Larry Gibson pressure tested some .38 S&W loads for me for use in the Lend - Lease S&W Victory models. He also has developed safe loads for the various top-breaks. If you specify which revolver you want to load for we can help. Short answer don't exceed 2 grains of Bullseye or Titegroup with 145-155 grain bullets in the top breaks or 2.5 grains with 175-195 grain in the S&W Victory if you want the gun to last.
    Best advice you have been given yet. Those old Hand Ejector Smith & Wessons don't come around every day and the only thing that gets stronger with age is wine and cheese. If you shoot the gun loose with +P loads, parts are not easy to find for old long action K frame guns.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    Back again, sorry it took so long
    Upon further research I would not say I am looking to make +p loads, I am looking mostly to replicate some max loads from yesterday year, not just the dumber down loads of today to protect old top breaks, I am doing the same with 32swl to good results

Anyway, tried the loads I made, 3.2g hp38 under a 125g lrn.
    All fingers attached, recoil was not excessive, even for a light 125g bullet, no signs of over pressure, even tried some in my already bulged once fired cut down 38 special brass, those 38spl pieces did not split, not one, and the gun loved them. Best load for accuracy I've got out of this revolver yet, only shot a bit low at 10 yards, likely due to the light bullet at higher velocity for the sights. Having some issues with pictures but will try to post some soon

I will continue making loads for this revolver from some of the older manuals, but still not go to the old manuals max loads, have some data for bullseye and unique I want to try, loaded up some with a 158g bullet over 3.5g of unique, a middle ground load from this manual.

BTW that buddy that asked if I reloaded 38S&W did show me his revolver before he sold it. It was a British lend lease in 38 S&W, but had been bored out for 38 Special. In my opinion it would still be ok for 38S&W but the chamber mouths would be questionable as far as accuracy.

How do you make a smaller hole in to a bigger hole ?

Boolit Master
    NOE moulds may have some .361 size to sell. just Google them.

Boolit Mold
    I think noe was who I got my .316 oversize 30cal mold from, may look at them for a .361, also I now need a .266 6.5

My Accurate MoldAttachment 283381 drops these at .361 from wheel weight +% tin. It is spot on at 158 grs. All you have to do when you order a mold is to fill in the diameter you want.
    Last edited by murf205; 05-23-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12