RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger strikes again!!

Boolit Buddy
    I've only seen one alive in the wild. Me and a couple of companions walked up on a big porky who was eating apples from a tree at an old abandoned house place. We walked up to within 3 or 4 paces of him and he had no interest in us at all, just kept on munching away and wouldn't even look at us. He was on a limb about 4 feet off the ground. I believe we could have dispatched him with a walking stick, but we left him to go on with his business. Good shot with the Ruger by the way.

Are you sure he was eating apples or was he eating the bark off the tree?
    Growing up on a ranch, we kill every one we find.

USMC 77, USRA 79

they are very damaging.. they used to knaw and chew on everything around my camp in the interior. one day one of the ladies in the camp came running out of the bathhouse hollering.. a porcupine had wedged himself between the toilet and the wall and was not gunna leave.. i convinced him to leave with a toilet plunger.. they can take quite a plunging before making the decision to actually head for the door...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

They certainly like the plywood used for the walls of my out house at my hunting camp! They even stand on the toilet bowl and lean over to get to the plywood walls from there. They climb up in my trees and eat half the bark off the branches causing some trees to die or get real deformed. I used to run bird dogs and I have some sad stories about that too.

Boolit Master
    I have heard (no experiences...we don't have them in Indiana) they will eat the tires off your vehicle, when road salt is being used!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    I have heard (no experiences...we don't have them in Indiana) they will eat the tires off your vehicle, when road salt is being used!
    Hoses - yes, flat tires - yes, leather, wood, trees, never had one chew in inflated tires...... but I am of a live and let live mindset. I kill them if they're close to my home or livestock, but they are kinda fascinating little creatures!
    Oh - and DO NOT.... repeat - DO NOT clip the ends to pull them from a pet or horse (or yourself). They're hollow, not filled with some "toxic gas". All clipping them does is make pulling them harder!!! The tips are barbed and the black portion is fairly solid, so grap them as close to the entry point as possible and pull straight out slowly. Think of pulling a post out of the ground, would it help to saw off the part sticking out?
    (In the spirit of full disclosure - I do this for a living - I definitely charge more when some jack wagon decided to clip the ends before bringing them in).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I thought you had killed Punxsutawney Phil ... scared me there for a second !

Fricasseed Porcupine
    First you make a dark roux ... need I continue
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    they can take quite a plunging before making the decision to actually head for the door...
    For some reason that visual made me bust a gut
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Banned
    Hmm, let me see . . . the last one I saw was in the Huron National Forest in Michigan in the early 1970s. My cousin had just shot it with a 30-30 about 25 feet up in a tree. I got quite an education about how much of a nuisance they are by reading this thread. I had no idea.

Boolit Buddy
    This tree was girdled and died.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2568.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	282892

A nearby tree is scarred but still alive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2569 (2).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	282893

From activity I've seen around my cabin property they seem to be attracted to the few mature Hemlocks at least in the winter when you will see the snow littered with the tips and pieces of branches. Being so low to the ground their trails look like troughs in the snow. I have seen many but have never shot one. The one turned into jerky mentioned previously was shot by a fellow bowhunter and he didn't want to waste it so jerky it became.

Boolit Master

Used to see them all the time at the fishing camp in Canada. See them occasionally in the Allegheny National Forest where we camp. One our dogs (long gone now) decided to try a bite. Fortunately, he only get a couple of quills. Never wanted to go near another one. Reddi was a fast learner! *LOL* None around here though, and I'm glad of it!

Boolit Master
    Shot on sight!

Damage to trees, cattle and dogs. Do not tolerate them around here.

44 is good medicine and the .480 is even better!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I think Fishers, those large weasels, are the only animal that eats porcupines.

Banned

dad always said dont kill the porkys. He said that someone lost in the woods without a guns best bet for a meal is a porky. I didnt listen to well back then though and how many people do you know that were lost in the woods and ate a porky!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    one of the few animals that can be relied upon as survival food if lost in bush, they can be easily hunted (they're not fast, easily dispatched a stone or stick will do) they have a high fat content meat which supplies a lot of energy as you will discover when you butcher it kinda like a fall bear.
    How often are porcupines seen in the wild? How many people are actually lost for an extended period of time in the wilderness? How many people have actually attested to being lost and have eaten a porcupine? Wilderness survival stores are not reality. Lets try and stick with reality.

Boolit Master
    angry city lady incessantly complaining to the veternairan about the high cost of having quils removed from her lap dog for the third time this summer. She quiped you'll probably be able to go to the islands for the the whole winter and I'll be stuck here in the country side with my dog full of quills again!! The olde vet looked over his specticles perched rather far down on his nose and replied " No mam I'll be here breeding porcupine all winter for spring release"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12