MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Building rook/rabbit rifle need sight advice

Boolit Bub

Building rook/rabbit rifle need sight advice

I’m going to have Taylor Machine create a barrel in .32 s&w long for an old single shot .410 that I have collecting dust. I’d love some advice on what manner of sights to purchase for the barrel and any other relevant matters that come to mind. Any input is much appreciated. Modern military rifles are my usual passion, but I’ve come to appreciate slowing things down, walking a field just for the enjoyment of it, so I’m a bit out of my depth. Thank you.

First, after you get the gun/barrel back, mark the position wanted for the sights ( piece of tape) & measure the distance (write it down) from the bore C/L to the top surface of the barrel at both sight locations. (they will most likely not be the same distance)

Whatever front/rear sight combination you want to buy, the finished/mounted front sight's top and the top of the rear sight (in the middle of it's elevation adjustment) should end up being the same distance from the bore C/L in order to zero the rifle.

This applies to either a barrel-mounted rear sight or a tang/receiver peep sight; but for a tang or receiver peep sight, measure the distance from the aperture to the bore C/L

After measuring, I usually find the height of the rear barrel sight from the top of the barrel; then order a front sight with a height that will be even with the top of the rear sight.

If using a tang/receiver peep sight, I order a front sight with a height that will equal to the distance from the bore C/L that equals the tang/receiver/aperture distance from the bore C/L

OR

Cut to the chase and install a scope mount for a petite scope (YMMV, here)

Last edited by pietro; 05-10-2021 at 10:13 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Lyman 17A front globe sight with a post insert.

Some form of rear peep appropriate to attaching to your rig. If it's a micrometer type like a Lyman 57 or Williams FP, great. If it's more basic like a Williams WGRS, that'll do too. Combine with a large-ish aperture, and that combo will net you the HK-G3 / MP-5 sight picture which is great for accuracy in a hurry.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Bub
    Now that’s something I’m familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    that combo will net you the HK-G3 / MP-5 sight picture which is great for accuracy in a hurry.

Boolit Master

Mr Harris seemed to like the ghost ring sights on some of the barrels I did for him.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006020375?pid=363936
    For me I like the #60 Weever scope base.

Boolit Grand Master
    Too bad no one makes a 7/8" tubed scope anymore. A one inch tube is just a bit big for most of the older rook or boy's rifles.

I've been wondering about the same thing; I have a Stevens .44 shot (Model 101, I think) version of the Marksman that is slated to become a .25 ACP rifle, and my eyes don't see open sights clearly with out a lot of help anymore.

Robert

Plenty of old Weaver J2.5 and J-4s to be had.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Too bad no one makes a 7/8" tubed scope anymore. A one inch tube is just a bit big for most of the older rook or boy's rifles.

I've been wondering about the same thing; I have a Stevens .44 shot (Model 101, I think) version of the Marksman that is slated to become a .25 ACP rifle, and my eyes don't see open sights clearly with out a lot of help anymore.

Robert
    These are excellent quality scopes, copies of the baby Redfields from a few decades ago.
    https://www.grubee.net/products/copy...lfpup-duplex-1

I'd not wait until John was done with the barrel to install sights. I'd choose the sights and send them to John so he could install them on the barrel before he sends it back to you.

^^^^Amen^^^^
    Cognitive Dissident

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Agree. The last one John did for me has M14 front sight base milled integral with muzzle, XS ghost ring peep and the Weaver scope rail. I can use the scope for load development and strip down to irons for handy woods walking. I settle on one basic load and zero the irons for that. In the .32 S&W Long 8.5 grains of 4227 with the 100 - grain Hornady XTP approximates .32-20 or .32 H&R Mag. performance.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Do you shoot loads like that in a Stevens 101.?
    Cognitive Dissident

Any old single shot rifles I build and rebarrel get holes D&T for an external adjustment target type scope, whether I use one or not. I always use one for initial load development and then later I decide if it stays scoped or not. Almost all my old single shots have good iron sights, even if they get a scope as I enjoy shooting irons, and will keep using them ass long as my eyes are good enough to.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Do you shoot loads like that in a Stevens 101.?
    Mine is an H&R .44/11 mm Garden Gun with bushed firing pin. Other barrels for it include .44-40, .38 Special +P and .45 ACP. Have had no issues with loads <25000 psi.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks a million for the link to Grubee, Inc, richhodg66. I’ve been looking for those types of 3/4” scope mounts for literally several years. I can’t wait to get in touch with those folks when they open Monday. The one thing I hate about mounting 3/4” tube Weavers etc on old classic rifles is those chintzy stamped sheet metal mounts Weaver used!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll second the thanks for the GruBee link.

I've been buying straight tubed one inch scopes for .22 rifles, but quality ones are getting hard to find. The reason I specified 7/8" scopes in my earlier post was that I can't remember ever having a decent 3/4" scope, maybe these Grubees will fit my tastes.

Robert

Banned

I got one of these which will eventually go on my Winchester 69A. Just the ticket for a diminutive little .22 or similar.

I want a rook rifle like the OP is building. Have a really nice little Iver Johnson .410 they found in my uncle's stuff when he passed, he wasn't really a gun guy and nobody in the family ever saw it before. No one else wanted it, so I took it with the intent of doing this. Kinda lost interest in using that one when I got a Savage 219 in .22 Hornet. With cast loads, it's one of my favorite guns to poke around the woods with.
    not one of the Grubees, but I put a very small Burris 4x on it, works great.
    Attachment 282948

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for all the help! Excellent ideas.

I also needed an excuse to get an order from Midway above $50 just this morning to buy a small part. Only money I guess.
    Last edited by atlas366; 05-20-2021 at 12:20 PM.