RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: 45-90 Loads Needed for Lyman 530gr Postell Bullet

Boolit Mold

45-90 Smokeless Powder Loads Needed for Lyman 530gr Postell Bullet

A recent acquisition of an 1885 Winchester 28" 45-90 (modern) leads me to search for long range loads for the Lyman 530 Postell cast bullet. 600yds+

I would like to use some of the smokeless powder I have like A-5744, H-4895, IMR-4064 and a few others.

If someone out there has used this bullet I would appreciate your comments.

Thank you
    Last edited by Pittsspecial; 05-10-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The 45-90 is a big case and there will be a lot of air space to deal with with most smokeless powders. I have a C sharps hepburn in 45-90 and find it shines with the traditional BP loads. No air space to deal with and very consistent velocity. I use Olde Ensforde 1 1/2 f a .060 wad and 2 tracing paper wads and the 535 grn lyman postell. It rings rams very reliably.

My rifle is a 1-18 twist green mountain barrel. Check the twist rate in yours to be sure these longer bullets will stabilize. There were 2 versions of the 45-90 the heavy and the express a lighter bullet and higher velocity.

My 45-90 is 13 lbs ready to go, The lever guns are lighter so recoil will be heavier with the big bullets.

I would recommend working up a load in the 1150 fps - 1200 fps with these big long bullets as this is where they tend to really perform. These bullets "carry" very well and the big thing is learning them and the come ups for different ranges