RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Take Out A Loan If You Need PT To Build A Deck

Boolit Grand Master

Better Take Out A Loan If You Need PT To Build A Deck

Finally got the foundation stuccoed and am ready for the deck.
    12x16ft to please SWMBO. Went to get the joists....
    2x10x16 PT = $40 each. Ouch. Price of the deck doubled in the last few months.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

One of the talking heads on TV did a segment on the huge increase in prices on numerous things and I believe that he said lumber had gone up 280% since this time last year. I priced a 2x4 piece of 3/4" plywood the other day and it was $34.

It's the same in the steel industry . Steel in the past averaged 40 ish cent a lb now it's over 80 cent a lb and rising
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Just took down a patio deck because I did not have the funds to rebuilt!! Now have tp pay the over priced grass seed I need.
    Last edited by brstevns; 05-10-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Daughter is building house right now. builder priced in most of the lumber increase, but still thinks he is 5k low with recent Increases. Stupid high. wanted to put her a nice deck on back, but we might just hold off a year.. ..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I still need about 15-20 sheets of 3/4" plywood and a bunch of 2 X 6s tor the new garages over head storage area. Want the added area and another layer of insulation. But will be waiting until prices come back down or I can grow enough wood for it

The funny going around is, " With the price of lumber, I'm thinking of selling my house for parts" Gp

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    If you're building a home right now be on the watch out, Lumber thieves are hitting new construction at night.
    That stack of new 2x4's that was delivered today will probably walk off by the next morning.

Boolit Master
    I hear people say they will wait for the price to come back down. But what if it doesn't? Got this nagging dread that we are seeing the beginning of hyper inflation.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Who has a sawmill on board? I'd like to hear a bit about it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    The funny going around is, " With the price of lumber, I'm thinking of selling my house for parts" Gp
    Maybe not such a 'funny'. Our home was built in 1958 by a developer/contractor for his family residence...all 'top of the line' construction by the standards of the day: no plywood, anywhere; 2x6 exterior walls, roof deck and sub-floor are 1x12 laid diagonally across trusses and floor joists. Speaking of 'floor joists'...those are Douglas Fir 2x12 set upon 8" steel I-beams spanning completely across the block foundation. At today's lumber prices, replacement cost of framing materials alone could be more than we paid for the finished house and garage in 1979.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

7/16" OSB was about $7.50 a sheet pre Covid, now its $45.00+/-. Lumber is so high here that I put off building a house at the family farm. I'm glad I had not started on it but sad things have gotten as bad so quick.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    When a 2x4 8' long now cost $ 10.00, and a sheet of 3/4" plywood is $ 50.00, galvanize sheet metal is over $1.10 per pound, and vendors are saying if you order stainless sheets now you will get in August, things are over priced and inflation seems to be here.

In my area logging is a very, very big industry, I leave my home at 4:40am and don’t see a logging truck on the highway, it used to be like a train, dozens upon dozens of trucks headed up the hill. I don’t see them hauling logs, at all. I am a construction superintendent, I know what we are paying on a very frequent basis for our lumber, it’s bizarre, right now 3/8” osb, 4’x10, sheer is $112 a sheet, ridiculous. For the last few months I’ve been telling people that whine about fuel cost that they should of thanked Trump for reasonable fuel cost while we had it, now I’m thinking I should of thanked him for reasonable lumber cost while we had it. It’s all being manipulated.

Boolit Buddy
    As for inflation worries, I have read we normally have about 4 trillion dollars in the economy money supply. Right now we have about 18 trillion.

Boolit Master

The price hike is due to supply and demand. There are so many mills shut down due to covid and the unemployment is paying more than a worker can earn working. Workers are riding the unemployment. At least that is what my local hardware store told me.

Around here (North Central Ohio) 8' 2x4's were $2.50-$3.00 pre COVID now they're $8-$10. A 1/2" thick 4'x8' sheet of plywood was $35 15 years ago when we built the garage, now it's $45-$50. I have no idea why plywood went up 40% but 2x4's quadrupled in price.

Boolit Master

The wife and I were all set to build a modest “retirement” home. Bought the lot, cleared, county water put in, and hoped to move in June. The lot sits empty as the house becomes out of reach for finances. Sort of like $1 each for 9mm. Just not gonna pay it! And for all the sky high prices for dimension lumber, stumpage is still around $25 a ton.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

There is ALOT wood pilled up. It’s speculation and ¿manipulation? Driving these prices. The backup team of inflation is also upon us.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a garage build planned for this summer myself. Not anymore due to prices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast