Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cutting lead pipe

Boolit Master
    I just used a hatchet and stump on the cable sheathing I got. Fast and no dust. The hatchet had a wide flat blade though, not a boy scout model.

Boolit Master
    Well, it depends on the size I have decided. If it is half to .75" water pipe or cable sheathing, I found a small bypass hand pruner was very adequate to cut it down to pot sized lengths. But the big 2 to 3" phone cable needs a solid cut from a sharp ax on a wood block. Still don't understand using a saw for soft lead. The hand pruner worked well to score the phone cable sheathing (it think it was maybe 20-pair size) to break it open to pull the copper phone wires out, then just snip, snip, snip to length. Someone mentioned a large cable cutter, this should like work great for larger stuff, but I doubt many have access to one. I guess there are a lot of options, you likely own something that will make short work out of it, many good ideas here.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Bub
    Definitely not an angle grinder with mini thin disc, Tin snips are ok. Chisel , Score and snap with sharp knife works too on flat sections ....knowing a little bit about sheet lead sort of guides u as to what tools u might use to cut it. When I’m desperate and in a hurry I admit I have Just torn it with my bare hands but it’s hard yakka and that sort of thing leads to stuffed up arthritis hands for old tradesmen too dumb to go look for some snips

Boolit Bub
    I've used a chisel and hammer, but find a sawzall works best and I'm not wasting time.

Boolit Bub
    I like the look of this saw, I think I'll buy one just to try out. I'm guessing it's a lot more useful than I can imagine.

In Remembrance
    I have cut up over 500 pounds of lead water pipe. The thing that worked the fastest, easiest, cheapest was the limb lopper. It cut anything that would fit in the shear effortlessly.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Some people use chainsaws to cut sailboat keels into manageable sizes.
    Most of all make sure there isn’t any moisture trapped inside when you go to melt them down. Otherwise, you will have a visit from the tinsel fairy.

I have a pair of cable cutters that make short work of any lead pipe that fits, 1.5” diameter. Bigger gets the Sawz All.

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    I have cut up over 500 pounds of lead water pipe. The thing that worked the fastest, easiest, cheapest was the limb lopper. It cut anything that would fit in the shear effortlessly.
    Never thought of that, always used an axe to cut to length(telephone cable). To rip along the length, what end up working the best for me was an air hammer with a panel ripper:

https://www.toolpan.com/Grey-Pneumat...SABEgJQ0vD_BwE

One of these walk right down the pipe, I used it on the phone cable to open it up to clean out all the silly little wires they stuff in there.

All the guys I know who worked for the phone company have retired. No more phone lead. Bummer. It's good stuff.

Boolit Mold
    A Circular saw is the best option for cutting the lead pipe.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    The thing that worked the fastest, easiest, cheapest was the limb lopper. It cut anything that would fit in the shear effortlessly.
    That was my experience too. Some years ago I got a large amount of lead pipe with very thick walls and maybe 2.5" in diameter. I tried the garden limb sheer thinking I may wreck it or it may not work. To my surprise, it cut the pipe fast and easy. I made short work of it in no time. No damage to the tool.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I have used a battery operated reciprocating saw with coarse toothed blade and it was quick and easy. Flattened it out with a mallet first.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

This got me thinking about a scrap shower liner that I been saving for a couple yrs. It was folded up and around 100lbs + I went with the battery Sawzsall and cut into smaller hunks in a couple minutes

Boolit Bub
    i almost always use a battery operated saw. older metal cutting blade seems to work well for me. make sure there is no water left in the pipe when you go to melt it down. a small hatchet that is sharp also works pretty good.

Boolit Bub
    Limb lopper for service pipe. Easy no dust or shavings

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Some people use chainsaws to cut sailboat keels into manageable sizes.
    Most of all make sure there isn’t any moisture trapped inside when you go to melt them down. Otherwise, you will have a visit from the tinsel fairy.
    I agree about checking for any moisture before melting the pipe. The tinsel fairy will remind you if you forget! I use 1)Hacksaw, 2) Sawz All, 3) Snips- for sheet lead. Good luck!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I have used a battery operated reciprocating saw with coarse toothed blade and it was quick and easy. Flattened it out with a mallet first.
    +1 on the coarse tooth. I use demolition blades, not the fine bi-metal ones.

Be careful of kick-backs.

Boolit Buddy
    Pruning shears for the small pieces and an axe and a wood block for the bigger bits.

Have some that is 4x5x12 inches long. What to use, thinking Sawzall?

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Have some that is 4x5x12 inches long. What to use, thinking Sawzall?
    ...yes, here. and a sturdy bench vise.
    a face mask wouldn't hurt,
    and something to collect the shavings, to melt too.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123