RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Cast bullets "spark" more?

Question Cast bullets "spark" more?

Ever since I started shooting cast bullets, I've noticed that I peripherally see "sparks" falling out of my gun when I shoot, instead of a clean ball of fire. I just wanted to pick you guys' brains as to why this is? Is it possible that it is my bullet lube burning? Or since they are lower-powered loads it's burning powder?

My gun isn't fouling much at all. Rounds in questions are cast .358 RN and FWC.

I'm just curious if this behavior is typical for cast bullets.

Boolit Master

more info :
    gun
    barrel length
    powder
    primers

i`ll bet it`s the powder though.

GP100man

Quote Originally Posted by GP100man View Post
    more info :
    gun
    barrel length
    powder
    primers

i`ll bet it`s the powder though.

GP100man
    S&W Model 686 - 4" Barrel. Unique. Charge: 3.5gr pushing 160gr DEWC and 160gr LRN. Primers are CCI Sm. Pistol

Banned

i am thinking lead particles coming from the gap between the cylinder and throat of your bbl.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm saying inconsistent ignition and he's seeing still burning powder. That is a very low pressure load, the lowest pressured "starting load" in Lyman's manual for a 160 gr cast bullet. Unique needs a certain pressure level to burn efficiently and I don't think he's got it. I'd suggest he change to 3.5 gr Bullseye.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    As stated above, a faster powder will help.

I still get the odd spark or two from the 1911 using Alliant Bullseye. There is the small amount of charred residue on the range table from when I pick up the fired brass, but no unburnt kernels. The charred residue powders like ash when rubbed between your fingers.

Shiloh

Smile

I don't think you'll see incandescent particles from lead alloys. I think you're seeing sparks from incompletely burned powder.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Is it feasible that this could be solved by a hotter load using Unique?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm guessing burning powder. When I shoot slow burning powder from my rifles, I found unburned grains for 15-20 feet on the snow in front of the bench.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning I have a S&W MD 19 (357) 3 1/2" barrel and the lightest load I use with Unique is 5 grains with a 162 wc design. 4 grains is the lightest I go with Unique in 38 special with the same 162 wc. If I want less powder I go to a FSAT burner like w231. I only have 2 reloading manuals here and the lightest Unique load I see in 357 mag is 5.5 grains.
    God Bless you !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Airweight38 View Post
    Is it feasible that this could be solved by a hotter load using Unique?
    Yes. Increasing the pressure to where the Unique is burning efficiently will reduce this significantly. It also will improve accuracy if the velocity/pressure is then not too much for the bullet. If the bullets are cast of at least WW alloy then they should do well up through the max load of Unique in the .38 Special.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I have to ask a question in return, does it matter? If you're getting good accuracy, your pistol isn't fouling and you otherwise like the results, does it matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Realistically, no it doesn't matter, it's just more of a curiosity than anything else. I've never noticed that before when shooting my jacketed loads.

The loads seem reasonably accurate, but I'll try upping the recipe .2 grains per batch just to see if I can make it go away. Might find a better recipe in the process.

Well, given the loads I've been seeing, I upped .5gr to 4.0. I got a nice, clean burst and no more sparks. I still may adjust from there to see what's going to be more accurate. Thanks for all the advice!