RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Useless advice for you whippersnappers from an old fool

Boolit Grand Master

Useless advice for you whippersnappers from an old fool

Today I was down in the dumps. Starting thinking about my youth.

Googled names of people I had gone to school with...half had passed on. Old loves gone but never forgotten.

Cars I wish I had kept....

But then I thought about the guns I had sold and traded off. All the guns of my youth are gone except for the .22 my dad gave me. Wish I still had my first CF rifle....M700 HB in .222 and my first CF handgun.... Colt Officers Target in .38 Spl.

Do not sell your first real guns unless you are starving. You can likely never enjoy your first woman again, but guns are timeless. My .223’s are not the same as that old M700 with the K-12. In some ways the .223’s are better but still not as good...doesn’t makes sense until you get old.

It is an awaking when almost half the people you went to school with are gone.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Ain't that the truth .

It's tough, but you need to make sure you find ways to enjoy what you have.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I still have my 20 ga mossberg 500 with select choke my father bought me. He got it the day i was taking my hunter safety course. We went dove hunting that day. That gun is priceless to me. I still hunt with it today.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I still own every gun I've ever owned..... I've sold, traded, bartered a lot of stuff over the years, but never a gun. On the winning end of a few, mostly lost my ass to make ends meet. Done without some things at times. But for me and mine, they are the last resort. Most because they're good, some because they're sentimental, and a few because they're so bad the story is worth more than ever letting them go.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I grew up with "i wish I had just one of those ......" .

Today I haul a lot of junk around . Some day it'll just be junk . But for today it's Dad's 67 Win , and an old 95 Mauser I didn't do anything with yet .

Yeah not much passion for the junk I've hauled around my whole life .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I have sold a few, but only a very few. And only ones that had insurmountable issues.

Still have my first air rifle, Sheridan Blue Streak, it still shoots great.
    Still have my first .22lr, Ruger 10/22. Its clean and in the safe. If .22lr ammo comes down again it will come out.
    Still have my first shotgun a Mossberg bolt action .410. Real love hate relationship with that gun until I learned its limitations and learned to work within them.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

a boy never forgets the first girl he kissed or the first tractor he ever drove. I am in the have never sold a gun group.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I’ve only sold one so far. It was an AK I got for cheap, shot one magazine through it and immediately didn’t like it.
    Had it for less than a month.... does that still count?

Good advice to hang to some of those first guns for sure.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    I’ve only sold one so far. It was an AK I got for cheap, shot one magazine through it and immediately didn’t like it.
    Had it for less than a month.... does that still count?

Good advice to hang to some of those first guns for sure.

BNE
    I don't think it counts..... Like a blind date you REALLY weren't interested in!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have keepers but I have bought, sold and traded hundreds of guns. That way you get to try more different guns.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    I sold a bunch but my only “first” that I let go of was my first revolver. I kick myself regularly. It was a fine gun in every way and I shot it with nuclear hand loads about a grain over max load for years. It finally got really loose and was getting out of time. I figured that a junk Taurus from the pawn shop was good so a Ruger gp100 would be better. Got 2 back to back lemons in the gp100 brand new. Both had terrible barrels. Visible chatter that looked like they were chiseled rather than rifled. I still miss that gun and would gladly buy it back or another like it but they are stoopid expensive for what they really are. Same money would buy a used 686, but that old Taurus 689 blued with walnut grips, 6” ribbed barrel was the one. I need to replace it but it’s hard to justify spending the money on. One of these days...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WestKentucky View Post
    I sold a bunch but my only “first” that I let go of was my first revolver. I kick myself regularly. It was a fine gun in every way and I shot it with nuclear hand loads about a grain over max load for years. It finally got really loose and was getting out of time. I figured that a junk Taurus from the pawn shop was good so a Ruger gp100 would be better. Got 2 back to back lemons in the gp100 brand new. Both had terrible barrels. Visible chatter that looked like they were chiseled rather than rifled. I still miss that gun and would gladly buy it back or another like it but they are stoopid expensive for what they really are. Same money would buy a used 686, but that old Taurus 689 blued with walnut grips, 6” ribbed barrel was the one. I need to replace it but it’s hard to justify spending the money on. One of these days...
    Ex got my first revolver, an Iver Johnson break-top in .38 S&W, 6" barrel, then lost it by leaving it in her car. I've owned a lot of guns, traded or sold a bunch of them. Had some I kept, but lost those to a thief about 30 years ago. Fortunately, the ones I'd really loved I gave back to my Dad. After I got settled here, he gave me back the .22LR Stevens Favorite that was the rifle I learned to shoot with, though my lower middle brother got the 12ga. New Era Gun Works goose gun.

Boolit Master
    I have traded or sold 5 or 6 over the years but only one that I liked and none with any sentimental value. I had one disappear from dads house while a cousin was staying there. It was my first shotgun , a sxs Continental 410, and I would really like that one back.

Boolit Master

I've sold off a lot of guns over the years too, but the first girl I ever held hands with was (is) a real keeper. I'd give up all my guns (in a heartbeat) before parting with her.

I hear what you're saying though, about hanging onto your first gun. I think I was 15 when my dad took me down to a gun shop to buy a Remington 572 .22 pump. I sold it a few years later when I was into bigger and better. I didn't particularly care for it as a rifle, but If I happened across it again today, I'd pay triple what it's worth, mostly because I miss my dad, and it would remind me of him.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I've sold off a lot of guns over the years too, but the first girl I ever held hands with was (is) a real keeper. I'd give up all my guns (in a heartbeat) before parting with her.

I hear what you're saying though, about hanging onto your first gun. I think I was 15 when my dad took me down to a gun shop to buy a Remington 572 .22 pump. I sold it a few years later when I was into bigger and better. I didn't particularly care for it as a rifle, but If I happened across it again today, I'd pay triple what it's worth, mostly because I miss my dad, and it would remind me of him.
    My dad passed 42 years ago....still a big hole that will never be filled. The rifle he gave me is priceless.
    Don Verna

I'm not planning on selling anything that I've got. I'd rather pass it on to my kids or entrust them to a friend to make sure they don't get slagged or sold. Even something as butt-stock-ugly as my Hi-Point still has a place in my heart.

Variable your not alone with Hi-points. I have 3 carbines and the 9mm pistol and they are all dependable as you could ask for.

And fun!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I let my 3” SP101 get away in part of a trade that yielded a SRH in 480 Ruger along with some Contender barrels. I got to missing it and low and behold another drifted my way for a below market price later on.

Snagged it!

Also my 9 1/2” SRH got away in that same arraignment but I know right where that on is and if the current owner wanted to let it go, and my britches were on fire to rekindle my relationship with it, I would likely have first dibs on that one.

The most missed gun was my Smith 4506 5” SS in 45 Act. If I had known that you can eliminate the pesky magazine safety I would have simply bought my first 44 Mag revolver instead of trading the Smith Auto ......

I am still leaning towards a 1911 platform though .....

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

Here is some good advice from my father , given to me when I was still in high school .

" Son , don't ever sell a gun you like ... even if it's just a little ... when they're gone , they're gone and you seldom ever get them back . "
    I have several nice old guns because of that advice ...see the 1970 S&W model 58 in my avatar ... and a 1971 Ruger

Blackhawk , a 1911 AMT Hardballer , and many more I inherited ... all kept because my old man gave good advice and I was smart enough to listen to him .

Some things like old friends and loves slip away but you can keep other things ...

... Keep your firearms ...

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast