Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Hornady Iron Press with Automatic Primer Feeder

Boolit Master

Hornady Iron Press with Automatic Primer Feeder

I bought an Iron Press so that I can size and deprime 9mm brass and inspect for Glock bulge before running the primed cases through my Dillon 1050.
    Due to a design flaw the primer catcher does not work well with the and so I deprime on my Rockchucker with a Case Kicker.
    A friend of mine traveled 200 miles to come load 45ACP ammo and so I tried to switch the Iron Press to large pistol primers and the slide will not line up with the primer tube!

Hornady’s quality has really gone down the tubes!

Boolit Master

It appears that the primer punch is sitting crooked in the shuttle as Hornady calls it. I have new parts on order that I hope will fixit!

Boolit Bub
    Sorry to hear you got took also. I have one in the corner, holding the floor down. That's about all it's good for. I got tired of having to guide the brass in the the die ALL the time, as you found out the primer catcher doesn't work very good, and I had the spring on the primer feed go flying accouple of times. Just don't need to deal with that ****. I have other presses that work.

Boolit Bub
    I had the same problem with the automatic primer feed on my Iron Press. Fiddled around with it for a whole afternoon before I gave up. I mainly use the press to size rifle brass, and wanted to used it prime and load rifle brass but that's up in the air for now. I have the primer feed on my Hornady Classic press which works ok, or I could just take use my Hornady AP which is a dedicated 45 Auto press to prime Large Rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jban View Post
    Sorry to hear you got took also. I have one in the corner, holding the floor down. That's about all it's good for. I got tired of having to guide the brass in the the die ALL the time, as you found out the primer catcher doesn't work very good, and I had the spring on the primer feed go flying accouple of times. Just don't need to deal with that ****. I have other presses that work.
    I had the spring fly loose too and thought it was in never never land(never going to find it) but it did not go far!
    I solved that problem by installing a 1 inch 8-32 screw with a head on it!
    I also filed a small groove where the other end of the spring attaches, that should stop it from slipping off.