Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Interesting hybrid shotgun

Interesting hybrid shotgun

Picked up an odd bird this morning, never had seen one before. A Remington 870 Competition Trap- unlikely marriage between a 870 and an 1100. The shotgun is a 2 shot (one in the chamber and one in the magazine) pump action shotgun. The remainder of the magazine tube is a partial 1100 piston with a gas powered recoil reducer. I shoot 7/8th oz at the 16 yard line, those light loads really cut the recoil- but with that 1100 "buffer system" is is like shooting a .22. They didn't make alot of them, low customer demand, but I've never fired a 12 gauge with such light recoil... Weird combination but, man, it sure makes a long trap day pain free!
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting combination. I imagine it was their attempt to counter the Browning Recoiless. Pretty ingenious design that made the gun feel like it was leaping off your shoulder for every shot.

I wonder how it was designed to be more recoil absorbing than a regular 1100?

Boolit Master
    I can relate to your 7/8 ounce loads . I loaded a pile of them last spring to use up some wads and Promo powder I had on hand from some buy deals . 12 gauge 7/8 ounce #9’s in my mid 60’s Browning Superposed 12 gauge 28” skeet and skeet gun has NO recoil . I’ve since gotten more Promo as well as a bunch more CB 7/8 and 3/4 ounce wads .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Wow, I have never heard that Remington ever made a hybrid shotgun like you have. That sounds interesting ��
    Some 25 years ago I use to shoot skeet in all gauges and the 7/8 oz. 12 ga. was the heaviest loading I shot.
    It really is a great skeet load.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

I have shot one for years. It is a great shotgun, although parts are hard to come by since it was manufactured for only 5 years. Although the ones I have seen, including my own, are solely single shots.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	870 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	282741
    Last edited by stubshaft; 05-10-2021 at 04:09 AM.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I want one!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I have shot one for years. It is a great shotgun, although parts are hard to come by since it was manufactured for only 5 years. Although the ones I have seen, including my own, are solely single shots.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	870 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	282741
    You are right, I mis-understood the description. It's a single, but... worth it for the light recoil!
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Grand Master

It is fantastic when shooting a weekend tourney where you shoot 1500+ rounds.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    Picked up an odd bird this morning, never had seen one before. A Remington 870 Competition Trap- unlikely marriage between a 870 and an 1100. The shotgun is a 2 shot (one in the chamber and one in the magazine) pump action shotgun. The remainder of the magazine tube is a partial 1100 piston with a gas powered recoil reducer. I shoot 7/8th oz at the 16 yard line, those light loads really cut the recoil- but with that 1100 "buffer system" is is like shooting a .22. They didn't make alot of them, low customer demand, but I've never fired a 12 gauge with such light recoil... Weird combination but, man, it sure makes a long trap day pain free!
    Hi beezapilot
    It made me think that it can be used for a friend, that he can't shoot his 12Ga anymore for shoulder surgery
    what is the name of Rem's model?