Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Now 240 gr wfn load data. H110/296

Boolit Buddy

Now 240 gr wfn load data. H110/296

Look for start loads with h110/296.The bullets are very close to jacket bullets from crimp groove to base for xpt from hornady 240 nosler and Can I just use jacked bullet or will I need to up the start data some. And they are gaschecked

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry stupid autocorrect Noe is what it was supposed to be.Thanks Bob

From what tyou have written we can't help much becase we don't know what cartridge your loading. My best guess would be 44 Mag.
    If so I would skip the H110/296 and use 2400. I have expermented with both and got better results with 2400.
    Do you have a Lyman hand book? Is so you can look at the data and get a good idea of the differences between cast and Jacketed bullets.
    Given the same weight a cast boolit gets slightly more velocity than a jacketed.
    This doesn't mean you use the same data for both.
    Do you have a Chrono or acess to one. I have found it handy when working up loads. One thing I use mine for is to help determine max loads. If your working up a load and the books says with thier combination of components they get 1500 FPS I use that as a target.
    I try to use as many of the components they use. Then start loow and check velocity. As I work up I keep track of the velocity. I may reach the target velocity with less powder than they used or I may not get that velocity without going over the max load.
    If i reach either the target velocity or the max charge I thik of that as MY max.
    If you want to experiment then find a bullet with the same weight as the one you want to load, start with that bullets minimum load and work up.
    When I bought my NOE 44 265 RFN they had load data to go with that boolit. I don't know if the still do. Haven't checked.
    Leo

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    H110 really only works well in the 44 magnum with the heaviest of loads, and if I'm going for a heavy 44 mag load, I'm going with a heavier bullet then a 240gn.

The boolits that drop from my NOE mold weigh about 270+ in wheel weights.
    My Lyman 429421 dropped a 260+. I have found these penetrate deeper than most animals I've shot them at. Even from end to end.
    Those who use anything much heavier must hunt bigger animals than this continent has to offer.
    Leo

Start with 23.0 grs

One thing to really keep in mind with W296 and H110 is that they do not like to be loaded under about 90% of the available capacity of the cartridge.
    I load the Accurate 43-240AG and crimp in the lube grove. I use 23.5 grain W296 and I get about 1450 fps and excellent accuracy. When I went up to 24 grain, I got faster boolits - just under 1500 but the accuracy went very badly south.

My avatar is that boolit...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Ok thanks guys yes it’s for a 44mag. Yes I have Lyman cast bullet handbook.nothing really close in the Lyman book but the Noe is very close from crim grove to the base as many jacked 240!grain bullets. Thanks again to all an from now I will try not to drink me post ��

Boolit Master

Back in "the day" when I shot silhouette I went through more than a couple of 8 lb kegs of 296. I shot 25/296/429421 out of a Super B @1400 fps. It was a very accurate combo for me.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone good stuff l.I will be shooting a sbh I would like to find a nice accurate hard hitter for hunting Pa deer . I also have 2400 to try but that powder isn’t as sensitive as 110/296 so thanks again and if you guys have any other tips I’m all ears

h110/296 may need a mag primer. Winchester only makes the 1 large pistol. WLP is what I use. Remington only made 1 LP, but may change with new owners?

Boolit Buddy
    I have some cci mag primers so I’m good there

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I use 23.5 grain W296 and I get about 1450 fps and excellent accuracy.
    Exactly what I use except my FPS is way off from yours. I am at about 1460 FPS.....

Boolit Master

Re the mag primer thing with 296. When I was shooting silhouette I tried them in the .44 mag but I got better accuracy with Federal LP's so that's what I shot. Now in the .357 Mag, CCI small rifle primers made a noticeable improvement in ballistics and accuracy. Just my $.02.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Seating depth is important as it defines the actual powder capacity, but the OP really needs to actually weigh his boolits in his alloy, they may not actually weigh 240 grains. It is always tough giving others load data over the internet for a variety of reasons, I suggest the OP use published starting data for his powder and bullet weight. (2400 is less finicky in this regard than H110 and was a powder used to first develop .44 Magnum load data.) Jacketed data should work safely for starting loads. As for max loads, there are no reliable methods for most shooters to tell if they are exceeding the maximum safe pressure, so the OP should not exceed published data for his bullet weight.

Boolit Buddy
    The bullets weight 247 to around 248 the few I weighed. The weight doesn’t really concern me what I Was looking at was that the crimp groove on my cast was very close to several jacked bullets from crimp groove to the base of the bullet. To me they take up the same space in the case this is why I’m thinking jacketed data. Thanks again all

Boolit Buddy
    Killed a nice 8 pt. Season before last with the Lee 240 PB & PC over 23 gr. h110. Complete pass through. Double lung .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraHunter View Post
    H110 really only works well in the 44 magnum with the heaviest of loads, and if I'm going for a heavy 44 mag load, I'm going with a heavier bullet then a 240gn.
    Agree.

I used to get great accuracy from the LBT .44-280-WFN gas-check over 21.6 grains of H110.

That was until I realized a 250-grain plain-based bullet at 900-1,000 FPS does everything I need.