RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Splitshot with range lead?

Boolit Buddy

Splitshot with range lead?

Not sure how it is in other people's AO but around here, split shot sinkers for fishing are nonexistant unless you want to pay insane prices. I do have a brand new mold to make my own. However, the last time I tried in the fall I almost broke my teeth on them. Problem was there was linotype and tin mixed in to that lead which made it far too hard for split shot. Now I do have a fresh bucket of range lead which is a combination of cast/pc lead and fmj-type lead. I'm thinking that'll yield a better result for a batch of weights.

My question is...do I want to fish out the fmj lead and use just that....since other casters may have hardened their boolits?

Please share your thoughts/experience.

Thanks!!

Boolit Master

no needle nose in the tackle box?

a pair of pliers would eliminate the bhn worries i'd think.

yes, the fmj lead should be softer than the naked lead projectiles which will certainly be harder than most 'sinker' lead.

good luck!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    I’d sort the range scrap, put the 22lr and the fmj into one batch and it’ll yield a pretty soft alloy.

Boolit Grand Master

K.I.S.S.. Cast a few with range lead and see if they are hard on your teeth. Most of the range lead I have acquired runs on the soft side maybe 10-12 BHN. Dunno how soft lead is needed to crimp a split shot, but I'd try before sorting it all out (and cutting/smashing FMJs)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    What does the mould look like? Who makes it? Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    What does the mould look like? Who makes it? Thanks

Do It Removable Split Shot Mold. I guess "Do It" is the company or model??

I had another one called "Lil Mac Midget" but it was horrible quality and wouldn't open up and seemed cheap. It was sent back. The Do It seems solid.

Most splitshot molds are for soft lead only. I tried ww and range lead but it is too brittle when you try to open the removable split shot and they broke at the hinge. Unless you have false teeth then biting split shot is a good way to buy your dentist a new Blaser rifle.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    The sale of split shot & other lead weights are outlawed in many states sometimes under a certain number of oz. Any small weights here are lead free alloys costing 2-3 times more.

I have the Do it splitshot mold and like you my first big cast was harder lead. They work but they do take pliers.

Now I save my softest purest lead for that purpose.

I think I have 3 do it molds, the split shot, the walking sinker (7 1/8th oz to 1.5 oz) and a finesse drop shot mold. That one because it is small needs some extra tin for fill out.

They make good molds IMO.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
    Do It Removable Split Shot Mold. I guess "Do It" is the company or model??
    'Do-it' is the 900 pound gorilla for home use sinker & other fishing molds.

As soft of a Lead alloy will let your sinkers close easier, and they won't split apart as soon if you open and close them a few times.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I use pure lead in a 20# pot with 1oz of tin added to make split shots in my do-it mold. It's well worth buying pure lead if you can't get any. A 20# pot sounds like over kill but it's ends up 80%+ sprue and -20% spit shots when casting.

Save your range lead for sinkers, jigs, etc.

I use my home cast split shots mainly for a modified drop shot setup targeting panfish. Mainly fish for crappie, yellow perch & bluegill using ul equipment.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Targeting panfish I end up with a lot of catfish inadvertently chumming for them when the panfish bleed from deep hooksets. Only caught 1 catfish that day.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The modified drop shot rig that I use is nothing more then a snelled hook and a home made split shot and a crawlers or worms. Doesn't get any simpler then that.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Forrest r; 05-10-2021 at 04:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I would :
    1.) Sort out all the soft stuff in the range lead , J-words , HBWC etc.
    2.) Use a cheap Wally Mart Fishing pliers ($9.99 ) on those sinkers ... you got any idea what a dentist will charge to fix that broken tooth ...think 5 or 6 thousand dollars ... Lets see $ 5,000 ...or ... $10
    You pays your money and takes your choice .

I can tell you ... teeth don't grow back and they just go from bad to worse !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I would :
    1.) Sort out all the soft stuff in the range lead , J-words , HBWC etc.
    2.) Use a cheap Wally Mart Fishing pliers ($9.99 ) on those sinkers ... you got any idea what a dentist will charge to fix that broken tooth ...think 5 or 6 thousand dollars ... Lets see $ 5,000 ...or ... $10
    You pays your money and takes your choice .

I can tell you ... teeth don't grow back and they just go from bad to worse !
    Gary
    Wife's a teacher. ZERO co-pay dental plan. I CAN risk it.

However, you raise a good point. I will say, I use my fingers to close them and very very very slight pressure with teeth to squeeze a bit more. So a lot less pressure than crunching on a chip.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    The sale of split shot & other lead weights are outlawed in many states sometimes under a certain number of oz. Any small weights here are lead free alloys costing 2-3 times more.
    All the more reason to cast your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I use pure lead in a 20# pot with 1oz of tin added to make split shots in my do-it mold. It's well worth buying pure lead if you can't get any. A 20# pot sounds like over kill but it's ends up 80%+ sprue and -20% spit shots when casting.

Save your range lead for sinkers, jigs, etc.

I use my home cast split shots mainly for a modified drop shot setup targeting panfish. Mainly fish for crappie, yellow perch & bluegill using ul equipment.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Targeting panfish I end up with a lot of catfish inadvertently chumming for them when the panfish bleed from deep hooksets. Only caught 1 catfish that day.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The modified drop shot rig that I use is nothing more then a snelled hook and a home made split shot and a crawlers or worms. Doesn't get any simpler then that.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    That is awesome!

Boolit Master

YAHOO (you always have other options). Contact some of the guys that swage and bum some of the small lead wire pieces that are extruded in swaging. No need to crimp, pinch or bite. Just clip off what you want and wrap around a loop in the line. Small solder will work as well. No restrictions, no hassles. When I went through my swaging phase, I always had a medicine bottle full in the tackle box./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    That is awesome!
    Thank you

Decided to target panfish so I sold the boat and bought a kayak & ul equipment. Casting 1/64th, 1/32nd & 1/16th ounce jigs and split shot is all I use. Can pretty much put a kayak in anywhere, no more waiting in line or worrying about water levels, etc.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Crappie are just starting to turn on so I'll be going out after them starting this weekend. It's nothing to catch 90/100 crappie in +/- 4 hours hitting weed beds in the kayak. I only keep fish ohio crappie, 13"'s of larger and release the rest. Typical crappie day with a 10" perch hiding at the bottom right of the stringer.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I enjoy casting spit shot, jigs & sinkers just as much as I do bullets. Along with using the same pc to color the jigs.

They call them panfish for a reason
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Buddy
    I use range lead with my Do-It pinch on sinker mold. It's soft enough the tabs don't break, but you need pliers if you don't want them to slide down the line. It should work for split shot, but like others said, you'll want to use pliers.

Dang, Forrest- I'll pull up a plate.
    I love fried Crappie and Perch.
    Oh, and to get the soft lead from fmj bullets I just put them in the pot with pure lead and skim the jackets out with a spoon.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I use my teeth on split shot as well and for some reason never thought about putting lead in my mouth! Not like I am chewing on it but I do try to wash my hands when I am casting and careful not to eat or drink around my lead.