Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Shooting an original M1871 Springfield Spencer rifle

Boolit Master

Shooting an original M1871 Springfield Spencer rifle

It's been a while since my model 1871 Springfield Spencer rifle got some range time. So today I took it out and made a short video. Check it out, and other antique firearms related videos on my YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/t4iXhZvBPZs

Good video. I enjoyed it, and learned a bit. Thanks for posting it.

DG

Boolit Master

Thanx, I enjoyed that immensely.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Great video. Kinda cool rifle as well. Thanks for posting. Frank

Boolit Master
    Thank you for posting that video. I've read about that variation, but you explained it far better!
    Have you ever seen the rimfire ammunition for that rifle?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Thank you for posting that video. I've read about that variation, but you explained it far better!
    Have you ever seen the rimfire ammunition for that rifle?

I have one original 56-50 rimfire cartridge in my collection. I'm making reloadable 56-50 rimfire for a Remington split breech carbine. These have an offset chamber for a .22 blank as a primer, so only work in single shots.

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you !! They are fun ! And educational.
    Our's is an 1865 carbine with a centerfire breech. Also have the rim-fire breech.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on finding a very unique and wonderful piece of history. I would love to find a vintage Spencer rifle. I do have an 1860 carbine that I re-barreled to 56-50 and made a centerfire block for. A fun gun to shoot but it is really out of place at our local range as most of the people are shooting those black plastic things. I even tried deer hunting with it one year. Unfortunately the deer didn't cooperate.

Enjoy you treasure, it is truly special.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I have one original 56-50 rimfire cartridge in my collection. I'm making reloadable 56-50 rimfire for a Remington split breech carbine. These have an offset chamber for a .22 blank as a primer, so only work in single shots.
    I'm sorry, I didn't speak plainly. I was meaning the rimfire cartridge that fits your chamber (50-45 dimensions I believe you said).

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone. One thing that is quite surprising to me is how accurate this rifle is. Using stock barrel sights and my aging eyes, it really shoots well. In fact is shoots better than my model 1868 Springfield trapdoor using the same bullet and barrel. The only difference is the trapdoor is .50-70. Here are two targets fired with this rifle at 50 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200831_143409.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't speak plainly. I was meaning the rimfire cartridge that fits your chamber (50-45 dimensions I believe you said).

No problem. No I don't, and I doubt they made longer rimfire versions either. I'm pretty sure they just used the standard cartridge. Due to the pointed bullet and different ogive shape, I surmise that they fed well through the action. The slightly longer chamber gave extra room for fouling build up. Here is my cartridge next to an original .56-50 rimfire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210510_102733_copy_300x440.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge and for posting such incredible videos!!

Boolit Master

Glad to share

One other little tidbit I uncovered was .56-50 velocity testing. When Springfield Armory developed the .56-50, they tested its velocity. It was an improvement over the older .56-56. Testing showed carbine velocity was 996fps, rifle velocity was 1,033fps. The standard load was 45gr of powder and a 350gr bullet. Recall that this was a rimfire case that had greater capacity than the modern solid head cases I use. But the longer case length of my cartridges allows my load to be 45gr of 2F Goex and a 350gr bullet. Essentially the same load as original! My chronograph testing gave an average velocity of 1,083 fps. I can't explain the 50fps velocity difference

Boolit Master

Thinking about it, there is one thing that comes to mind that could account for the 50 fps higher velocity I found. The rifles that Springfield Armory used most likely had the standard 30" barrel. My M1871 Springfield Spencer rifle has a 32.5" long barrel. That extra 2.5" could contribute to the increased velocity.