Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: need help to order some molds

Boolit Bub

need help to order some molds

Hi I'm not much a caster yet, but looking to get some for 38 special and 357 for myself and friends. Accurate molds has some interesting ones but the pre-purchase questions are beyond my current expertise. Thanks if anyone can assist regarding what I should ask for? I am an experienced reloader for the record, centrefire and shotgun, 30+ yrs.

These are what I like the look of

1. 158 grain Wide FPGC . http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...ullet=36-158FG
    Will be mostly hardcasted for higher velocities in 357 handguns and 1:16 twist barrel lever action. 1300-1600fps.

2. 200 grain full meplat http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...bullet=36-200G .
    Will be a '38-44-ish to 357 mag' power bullet for a 357 mag revolver and maybe the lever. 900-1200fps. Maybe also low speeds in 38 special cases for fun, like the old super police loading.

3. Novelty 230 grain pin bullet. http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...bullet=36-230G
    subsonic use in 38 and 357 revolver only. Can be soft.

Say bore size is .357 for all firearms.

What I am not sure on is the following

1. A dropdown asks me to select casting alloy for each mold:
    Lead or salvaged range bullets, 1:40, 1:30, clip on wheel weights , 2-6-92 hardball,1:25 tin/lead, 1:20tin lead, lyman no.2, linotype.

I know these relate to BHN, but as only one selection is allowed, what should I put for each of the 3 uses above?

2. Body diametre, I'll go .001 larger than bore. However it then asks

Choose +002/-100
    +/- .001
    +002/-100

I cant figure out what that means and which way to go for each mold here?

Thanks for any help folks. Hope I dont sound too dumb.

Boolit Master
    I have always chosen COWW + Tin, +/- .001", and as cast .358" for 357 molds. I have at least 10 Accurate Molds now and have sent half a dozen or so to new homes. I've found Tom hits pretty much dead on with the diameter of the bullets.

I powder coat everything now so I don't worry to much on the diameter as the bullets will be fat anyway. The only concern I would have is the dropped bullet being to skinny but that has never happened. He makes a great mold!

I would be careful looking for an exotic mold for 38/357. I have bought some molds that just didn't work out as well as my mind said they would. I know I wasn't drunk when I ordered them as I wouldn't have been able to go through the ordering process if I had been, but the 38/357 (or any revolver mold really) are pretty well established with what works. Also keep in mind some cylinders will only accept a specific nose length. You don't want a new shiny mold that drops a long nose bullet that can't be used. I have a fabulous long nosed mold (36-176D that he designed for me) that drops a bullet that cannot be used in a 357 Flattop Ruger BH but works well for a regular 357 BH and my FA83. My shooting partner who I cast for cannot use this missile and it's a shame. I suppose that means I'll have to shoot all of the bullets from this mold!

I went back and looked at the molds you listed and I'll add that the molds I bought that didn't work out for me were WFN designs. I prefer a FP style bullet to the point where I do not even own a SWC style mold but I always try to stay around a 70% nose diameter. When I went with that wide flat nose, I had to push the bullets hard to find and maintain accuracy. Now this was just my experience, but it happened every time. I do tend to shoot warmer loads but I didn't want to be forced to. No more WFN style for me if I can resist it.
    Last edited by DHDeal; 05-09-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Boolit Master

get a layman cast bullet manual and look to see what boolit it uses for pistols and then buy a mold of the same weight, the shape can be different but keep the weight the same. the heavier boolits are usually for long guns and the lighter ones are for pistol. you can also order from mihec.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Different alloys will yield different "as cast" diameters because some alloys will shrink more than others as they cool. Tom wants to know what alloy you will be using so he can adjust the diameter of your mold to accurately yield the diameter you specify. Whether or not you will powder coat needs to be considered when specifying the diameter you desire. You need to find the throat diameter of your cylinder and consider that as well as bore diameter. It's easy to size down, not so easy to make a bullet larger in diameter.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    I have always chosen COWW + Tin, +/- .001", and as cast .358" for 357 molds. I have at least 10 Accurate Molds now and have sent half a dozen or so to new homes. I've found Tom hits pretty much dead on with the diameter of the bullets.
    Thanks, thats all I needed. As usual when you have a low post count you get a lot of random advice. As I said I have been reloading 30 years, cast and jacketed bullets in pistol and levers. Just never ventured into bullet casting myself. The question was how to answer the purchase drop downs so thanks for that. The purpose of the last two options is pure novelty yes. In fact I am only really getting into casting to try the 200-230 grains out for fun.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    get a layman cast bullet manual and look to see what boolit it uses for pistols and then buy a mold of the same weight, the shape can be different but keep the weight the same. the heavier boolits are usually for long guns and the lighter ones are for pistol. you can also order from mihec.
    Not sure what your advice relates to. The intent of the project is to get the above particularly 200-230 grain bullets a try. I have been shooting cast bullets for about a decade for cowboy action. Just never got into the casting side of things myself. Figured these weights would be interesting.
    Last edited by stef76; 05-09-2021 at 08:55 AM.

I would also suggest checking NOE’s website often and try to pick up their push through size die body, a .358 bushing and the push rod. Unfortunately in the current madness this sizing system is very popular so you just have to check frequently to get them.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...size-die-body/

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...-bushing-b358/

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...push-rod-38pr/

Boolit Master
    Some of the dropdowns are specific, such as dual designs in one mold etc etc. It's not hard when you get some practice. It sometimes takes me forever to scroll through all the molds to get to the one I want. The things an addict will do to get a fix I guess!