WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Batting 1K on new guns going back to the factory

Boolit Master

Batting 1K on new guns going back to the factory

First is was my Ruger BH Convertible 40SW/10mm. Nothing mechanical just looks like they polished the thing with a rock. No biggie, Ruger has one of the best CS in the business. Back and looks great and getting some customer fitted stocks on it as we speak.

Second was my SW642. Made a sound that makes you say, “that’s not right,” after the second trigger pull. Couple of broken parts, SW made it right. No biggie.

But this third one hurts! My new Uberti SASS Pro is inoperable after about 200 dry firing with snap caps. Made that, “something broke,” sound last night and email went to Uberti this morning. It’s locked up and I’m not even going to mess with it. Stoeger/Uberti can deal with it, and I’m sure they will make it right. Just POed since I waited so long to get this model in the shorter 4.75”ish barrel. I have dealt with Uberti’s CS a few years ago when they literally rebuilt three of my old BP clones. Think I paid about $50 per gun for them to do that and it was well worth it! Haven’t dealt with the CS since Stoeger took over. So will see.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    ...I wouldn't buy a lottery ticket...

Of the hundreds of guns that I have owned over the last 50+ years of shooting...three have gone back...

Ruger Frontier laminated stock split at the wrist.

Ruger LCRX 9mm had ejection binding problems

Taurus .41 Magnum Titanium Tracker went back twice for cylinder binding

Boolit Master
    ...remembered one more...

A 1986 Colt Super Elite...starting misfiring shortly after I started using it... Turns out that the firing pin channel in the slide had not been properly rinsed out and the bluing salts rusted everything up so the SERIES 80 firing pin block bound up. That and there were so many burrs on the hammer and sear that the trigger pull world go from 2# to 6# and you never knew what was coming next.

I didn't send it back to the factory but had a local smith do the work who was going to do a trigger job and different front sight anyway. This was during the Colt strike which is another reason I didn't send it back.

Bob

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm just lucky. Never had to send one back. I did have one Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in 480 Ruger that wanted to "bind" when cocking the hammer. Good cleaning, a little oil, sit in front of the TV watching a good movie, turn on the captioning, cock the hammer/pull the trigger, let down the hammer/repeat as necessary, it smoothed out and is one of the slickest ones I have. Same for a Rossi 92 in 44 magnum. About a half-hour of a movie, clean, oil, work the lever a few times/pull the trigger/repeat.

Another plus.....it'll drive your wife nuts and you can change the movie to a good western.

Boolit Master

I've had well over 100 firearms go through my hands in my life.

I've sent one back to the factory. A very early Sig GSR that had an acknowledged problem with the external extractor. It was fixed and returned within two weeks.

I currently own over a dozen and a half Ruger firearms. Not one has ever had to be sent back.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I've only owned a few new guns. None had to go back. Two Rugers. I did 'repair' a Taurus 805. An internal screw came loose and needed some locktite.

But...all were bought over the counter so I was able to try the trigger pull and examine the gun before purchase.

Hope Stoeger comes through for you.

Boolit Master

I’m sure Stoeger will. I had 100 factory loads thru it before this. Got snap caps and been cycling and firing about 200 times a night. Was about to go and try some handloads tomorrow morning and then break it down and clean it really good. Had grip panel blanks bought and ready to send out for fitting. I did the throats last week and it was a five minute job, they were GTG from the factory.

This streak of bad products has to end soon, I hope. Looking at some nice rifles next month. LOL

Lefty

Boolit Master

Postage printed off, from email I got this morning. Stated they are running about 1 week for repairs. Would be happy if it takes a month, just want it to be right.

Now we wait....

Lefty

Boolit Master

Got the pistol back last night. Replaced the cylinder and bushing. Everything seems to be working much better today!

Lefty

Boolit Master

Oddly enough the 3 Rugers Revolvers I have kept above all others, went back to Ruger for problems right out of the box.
    The last one, a very early New Vaquero cost me $100.00 to ship back. UPS are CROOKS.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Walks

I have been fortunate enough to have had Ruger, Uberti, and SW pay for the postage. Even Heritage Arms paid for my Rough Rider to go back! But they were NIB and broke within 20 rounds shoot thru them.

Shipping a weapon back to the manufacturer shouldn’t be that hard or expensive!

Lefty

Just sent a ruger MK IV 22/45 back last week for lite fp hits. Ran 1000+ rounds thru it and it never smoothed out. Should be getting it back tomorrow. Figured I'd give ruger 1st bite at the apple & hopefully they fixed it. If not I'll buy a $30 aftermarket fp and be done with it.

No big deal, I actually feel bad for ruger. They are 4 for 4 with me now. 3 super blackhawks and now this 22/45.

Boolit Master

Went to ream out the throats on the SASS Pro and barely needed it! Uberti’s have always been really spot on when it comes to the throats of their 45s.

I hear you Forrest. I had that BH that should have never left the factory looking like that. But they made it right. As has every manufacturer I have dealt with in the last ten years or so.

Lefty

Boolit Master

Out of hundreds of guns through my hands, only one went back. Bought a used T/C Contender in 22 Mag. Someone had messed with the trigger & it would fire if you looked at it real hard. Sent it to T/C in a $5 frb (didn't know you wern't supposed to do that). They replaced most of the internals & sent it back good as new at no charge. That was way before S&W. Don't know what to expect now.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu