RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member limited components

Boolit Grand Master

I just need a bit of advice. My Lyman handbook 49th edition has very little data on the different projectiles available. Mostly plated HP and a few Linotype bullets but not the shape I’m interested in.
    I looked in my 49th and found data for 7 different jacketed bullets and 5 different cast bullets, each with at least 5 different powders. Cast lead data is more dependent on bullet weight not shape. It is OK to use "linotype" data for 10 BHN and higher bullets. PCed/Hi-Tek bullets use cast lead data and I have always used cast bullet starting data for any plated bullets I reloaded. The jacketed bullet data in my 49th is for 110. gr HP to 180 gr. JHP. Again weight is the main consideration for load data and FMJ, JHP, and JSN bullets can use the same starting load data. But the main key is to start every new to you load (bullet, powder, primer) with the book starting loads. Work up if necessary. I could reload for 12 different bullets and about 9 different powders with just the data in my 49th, including my bullets cast from my "Mystery Metal" bullet alloy...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Honestly, if you are just starting out reloading, dont bother shooting lead bullets just yet. There are more factors to getting decent results when shooting lead, coated or lubed. So I would stick to book data with jacketed bullets & then look into lead.
    Reloading guides are just that, guides. So you wont always be using the exact bullet or primer or case. There will always be a bit of extrapolation. The biggest issue between carious bullets fo the same weight will be OAL & bearing surface. So start low & work up. A chrono is a good tool for load development.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Honestly, if you are just starting out reloading, dont bother shooting lead bullets just yet. There are more factors to getting decent results when shooting lead, coated or lubed. So I would stick to book data with jacketed bullets & then look into lead.
    Reloading guides are just that, guides. So you wont always be using the exact bullet or primer or case. There will always be a bit of extrapolation. The biggest issue between carious bullets fo the same weight will be OAL & bearing surface. So start low & work up. A chrono is a good tool for load development.
    I just got my first chrono this weekend and tested it out with the same .22lr out of my Browning pistol and a Winchester Gallery pump. 36gr plated HP out of pistol avg. 1071 fps ES: 70 and out of rifle avg. 1222 fps ES:75.
    I can see just how useful this new toy is going to be.

What are the other things to look for when working up a good hunting load, besides velocity and accuracy? Obviously I don't have the expensive equipment to measure pressures so what signs should I look for?

Look for consistency in velocity. Mathematically expressed as the Standard Deviation of a sample. Usually abbreviated SD. Low velocity variance usually makes for smaller groups.

As long as you're spending a little money, and if you're computer literate, look into buying a copy of the Quickload software like I use.

https://www.neconos.com/quickload-ba...tion-software/

I play a lot with obsolete and wildcat cartridges for which there is not and never has been any handbook data. Couldn't do without it.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Look for consistency in velocity. Mathematically expressed as the Standard Deviation of a sample. Usually abbreviated SD. Low velocity variance usually makes for smaller groups.

As long as you're spending a little money, and if you're computer literate, look into buying a copy of the Quickload software like I use.

https://www.neconos.com/quickload-ba...tion-software/

I play a lot with obsolete and wildcat cartridges for which there is not and never has been any handbook data. Couldn't do without it.
    So if you put in .358 dia lead 158gr over N110 powder would it give suggested starting loads pressures etc?

Yes.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I would strongly suggest that you get some of Smoke's powder (vendor here) and powder coat the bullets for your application. In plain base, coated gives you a lot more room to push the bullets for your application. You will need a sizer, so maybe see if you can track down a lee push through in 358.
    So it's powdered paint that you tumble the bullets in and bake on? Seems simple enough. After coating, lubing and sizing them would they be able to handle velocities near gas checked cast or jacketed bullets?