RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone use or try one of these 'presses' ?

Boolit Bub

anyone use or try one of these 'presses' ?

sorry...I figure my other thread got deleted over a link...I'll put a pic instead. Wasnt thinking, lol.

Looking at this because I like how compact it is.
    Anyone actually mess with one of these or anything like it and have an opinion about it (about itself....not compared to X other press)?
    There are other presses available, but this is really small...seems to be perfect for a space Ive got in mind in the shop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	282652

It had an e-bay link and those are not allowed. Is it a metallic cartridge or shotgun press?
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

That doesn't look stable
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Man
    Seems too small to do much with. I’m loading 16ga with a drill press. Use the quill to press out primers, to compress powder when the cup is seated, and to roll crimp when it’s full. My setup is better than one of those little dinky loading stations. The only thing I can’t do is resize bases but the item shown wouldn’t do it either. I need to do a base plate for 410 and load it like I am 16 ga.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    It had an e-bay link and those are not allowed. Is it a metallic cartridge or shotgun press?
    in the photos Ive seen they have a normal 12 gauge shotgun shell being crimped and finished off...so I assume its for regular plastic shells.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    That doesn't look stable
    that one seems to come with a clamp to get it tight to the table.
    Im just wondering if anyone has used one like it.
    I dont intended to load much and Id like to just have a small set up for 12 gauge shells. My 4 hole press is set up for my 357 loads and I really dont want to change anything with it...Ive had it set up the same for like 8 years, lol

Boolit Master

Who made that little shotgun press? I like its looks and the smallness appeals to me. james

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Who made that little shotgun press? I like its looks and the smallness appeals to me. james
    crap...I deleted the ebay email I had with it in it. They are on ebay if you search for reloading presses.

If they are the ones I saw on Ebay for around $70 , I would just look for a used MEC for a few bucks more.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 05-08-2021 at 06:25 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    If they are the ones I saw on Ebay for around $70 , I would just look for a used MEC for a few bucks more.
    yeah....$50-70 sounds about right for the whole kit.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    hey...i found the email....the title of that particular auction was "Best Shotshell reloading Set Reloading Press 12-20 Gauge"

edit...I found a video on youtube of something similar.
    https://youtu.be/SvIgffXg_38

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I just picked up a Lee loader for my 16 ga. May use my drill press for a little extra help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, and the price is good but I think I'll pass after watching the video and how they do the crimp. Lots of steps.
    Also noticed they did not show depriming, sizeing, repriming at all.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    That is an upgrade of an old press. It deprived and primed hulls. You used a roll crimper with over shot cards in paper hulls.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Interesting, and the price is good but I think I'll pass after watching the video and how they do the crimp. Lots of steps.
    Also noticed they did not show depriming, sizeing, repriming at all.
    Eh..starting to think the same. Betting I can find an old Lee 12 gauge loader kit on ebay that would be a little less involved.

Mossy88 I am currently useing an old Lyman easy loader for 12 ga. Does a great job. I bought a mec skeet bar for 8$ so I could use the mec powder bushings. Drilled and tapped, put a screw for one stop. In the back I just duct taped a short piece of steel shaft so the bar is removeable for swapping bushings. Done carefully I can change bushings and not spill powder all over.

My Lyman easy loader came from the pawn shop for 20$. I invested maybe another 23-30$ in bar and bushings. Left the shot bushing alone as 1 oz load is just fine with me. Mostly I load new primed hulls from BPI with #1 buckshot and Lee 7/8ths oz slug.

But it works fine with 7.5s shot also. There are still good deals out there if you keep your eyes open.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Mossy88 I am currently useing an old Lyman easy loader for 12 ga. Does a great job. I bought a mec skeet bar for 8$ so I could use the mec powder bushings. Drilled and tapped, put a screw for one stop. In the back I just duct taped a short piece of steel shaft so the bar is removeable for swapping bushings. Done carefully I can change bushings and not spill powder all over.

My Lyman easy loader came from the pawn shop for 20$. I invested maybe another 23-30$ in bar and bushings. Left the shot bushing alone as 1 oz load is just fine with me. Mostly I load new primed hulls from BPI with #1 buckshot and Lee 7/8ths oz slug.

But it works fine with 7.5s shot also. There are still good deals out there if you keep your eyes open.
    oh...sorry...no its not really about the money, lol. We just put thousands into buying precious metals. I just saw that little press and thought with what little Im going to be messing with 12 gauge reloading....really not at all...more just dumping 8 shot out and packing something else back in....that i could fit something small down on the end of my existing bench.
    The real problem is space. lol.
    Thanks for the suggestion, though. Id not have though of looking at pawn shops.

Boolit Grand Master
    A used MEC is not much more, not too large, and so much better. I started with one 45 years ago.

There is no need to permanently attach most presses to a bench. The only ones I have bolted down are the Dillon 1050 and Ponsness Warren 800+.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Posters keep saying that MEC presses are cheap to buy but you go online and the story is different. A used 600 now sells well over a hundred dollars on just about any site you go to. That is a far cry from $39.00 for the Russian and a new Lee Load All is about 1/2 for what a used 600 will run. I like and have used more MEC's than anything else, having loaded thousands of rounds for trap and skeet. But unless you do high volume shooting, it is just not cost effective. I have a Grabber in 12 gauge and a Lee in 16 gauge and they both load nice shells. But my trap and skeet days are over and I will probably never own anther MEC, I just will not be doing enough shotgun shooting to justify spending several hundred dollars on another MEC. The older Lee's did not crimp well but the newer ones seem to have solved the problem. A beginning shotgun loader will just have to decide how much shooting they will do and whether they need speed or do not need to hurry to load in volume. my thoughts anyway and not binding on anyone, james

Boolit Bub
    The MEC looks really nice..the one Im looking at now, anyway.
    Honestly an old lee hand load kit would do just fine, too...no press needed....i just cant find one.
    Im literally just looking to open up commercial field loads from walmart, recast the lead, drop it back in...and just need something to crimp and finish the shell.
    Not overly sure that I want a full blown press for it.

I do appreciate the suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast