Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boolit sized, lubed/coated etc properly- why am I still getting leading?

Boolit Buddy

Boolit sized, lubed/coated etc properly- why am I still getting leading? (pics!)

Rifle is a Marlin 336, originally a 30-30 that shot well. Unfortunately 30-30 is not kosher for hunting here so had it re-bored to 38-55 by JES. Barrel now slugs .377, have tried a number of different combinations- .379-.381, different lubes, gas checked and not- and most recently been using .380 Hi-Tek coated boolits @ 1300 fps and still seeing definite leading.

My understanding was that leading is caused by an improperly sized boolit, poor lube or excess speed. Having eliminated all of these issues I am still scrubbing lead out of the barrel after barely 50 rounds.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mattri; 05-16-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Rough bore?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Man I hope not. I had JES do the rebore mostly from recommendations on this site, everyone seems to love their work.

I don't have decades of experience like some folks here but I've been shooting cast for a few years in multiple caliber/cartridge/platform set ups and this is the worst I've ever seen.

Before I cast my own and powdercoated them I bought some Hitek coated bullets and I had horrible leading, I figured out it was very hard slightly undersized bullet that was the culprit. When I jacked it up to max loads it got better but still leaded so I started casting and coating my own and the bore life got much easier.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply! Hi-Teks are .380 which doesn't seem underbore for a .377 barrel

Boolit Master

How hard is your bullet?
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy
    Have tried everything from 12-20BHN nothing seems to help.

Boolit Grand Master

Try a traditional lube w/GC says the PC/HT.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Boolits have been lubed and gas checked, no help.

Boolit Buddy
    Where is the leading? Toward the muzzle, or through the entire barrel?

1. Are these your cast bullets, or store bought ?
    2. Are you doing the PC-ing, or someone else?
    3. What powder ?

As to hardness...at 1,300fps, you want soft -- 30-1/BHN 6 or so -- and a fairly fast powder.

Boolit Master
    What groove, twist was it rebored to?

Boolit Master
    Where are you located? A member here might be close and might be inclined to help in person.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Boolits have been lubed and gas checked, no help.
    Lubed with what?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    As to hardness...at 1,300fps, you want soft -- 30-1/BHN 6 or so.
    I don't know about BHN6, that's near pure lead.

I would suggest soft enough to scratch with a thumbnail, which 20:1 is still too hard for that, and soft lube. 50/50+1% or 2% should be perfect and that will scratch with a thumbnail. I have good results with RandyRat's TAC1, I have excellent results with SPG! Felix is probably the best lube on the planet but you should be able to hit a working combo with several of the soft lubes.

Every cast boolit success story is a combination of factors. Miss one and you miss the combo. Too hard? Won't obturate.

Also, post some of your loads. What powder?
    Last edited by DougGuy; 05-09-2021 at 10:24 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    My JES rebored Marlin runs a little under .376 groove dia. I size to .377 and run mostly 13 and 1400 fps loads. I've been up to 1700 with no leading. Bullet is the NOE 38-250B, I had the mold built for a plain flat based bullet, no gc. Alloy has been anywhere from 1Sn, 1.5Sb up to ww, all air cooled. Lubed with Winds Wonder Wax or powder coated, shoots great and no leading. One thing I would check is your neck size before seating bullets. If the neck is too small it can size the bullet down.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    For 1300 fps you need around 11 Bn.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Rifle is a Marlin 336, originally a 30-30 that shot well. Unfortunately 30-30 is not kosher for hunting here so had it re-bored to 38-55 by JES. Barrel now slugs .377, have tried a number of different combinations- .379-.381, different lubes, gas checked and not- and most recently been using .380 Hi-Tek coated boolits @ 1300 fps and still seeing definite leading.

My understanding was that leading is caused by an improperly sized boolit, poor lube or excess speed. Having eliminated all of these issues I am still scrubbing lead out of the barrel after barely 50 rounds.

Thoughts?
    I've gotta ask since you did not specify your .377 slugging.
    Was that groove diameter or bore diameter?
    1A - 2A = -1A

Vendor Sponsor

Had you even googled 38-55 you wouldn't have had to ask such a question. it is impossible for 38-55 caliber to have a .377" bore.

Don't be afraid to google, Wikipedia is stunningly accurate for almost any firearm related question (and is usually the first hit returned in a search). All of the specs are there, development history, everything you would want to know about any given caliber is right there at the click of a mouse or a verbal command on a phone.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 05-09-2021 at 01:01 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I don't know about BHN6, that's near pure lead
    For 1300 fps you need around 11 Bn
    1) I'm running 30-1 for a HiWall/38-55/plain base/ACC 38-320gr (standard 50-50 lube), 1310fps

2) Please note tested hardness of 30-1
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4437398

Bottom line: With rare exception, lead alloy "mixes" "as reported on the internet" are much softer than advertised.
    Think about it: Pure lead is 4.5- 5.0, and all you've done is add 3% tin.
    Not much more effect that ease of fill-out has occurred.

Added thoughts on soft lead and PC
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5001471

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast