RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: CFE BLK with 173 GC PC CB in 762x39 AR barrel.

CFE BLK with 173 GC PC CB in 762x39 AR barrel.

I have a mold that produces 173 grain .308 gas checked bullets I am powder coating. I want to try using them safely in my AR47 762x39 with CFE BLK powder. What would be a safe starting load? I do have to seat the bullet dearly since the ogive profile engages the rifling pretty high up. How will this affect pressure.
    Here is a picture of the loaded round and the bullet next to the case. The one in question is the orange one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA90D8CB-91A1-4939-A727-8AE580FB9528.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	282644
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82A9AF78-E89D-40CA-B09E-9FE4F11B5D93.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	282645

GRT says 22gr cfe blk, 1.2" seating depth. 34k psi. Used a Lee 180gr GC that is 1" long for calc., 16" barrel.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    CFE BLKOUT is my go to powder for the Hornady SST, one hole group at a hundred yards out of a glass bedded CZ 527 carbine. Ramshot Tac with NOE 166 gc red carnuba lube 30grns IIRC things started to settle down a bit and I’ve not had time to experiment with it again. Funny thing is the hotter the load the more accurate it became, 30.5grns was the end of my ladder test at 2100+ fps. The 30gr load was printing one inch groups at 50 yds. These were the first bullets cast from a brand new mold, slightly ugly not weight sorted. Ordered some tin to help fill out and see if that makes some better looking bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Taken from Hodgdon online manual with a 150 gr Hornady jacketed bullet, 22.6grs starting load will give 1984fps @ 37,800cup, max load 24.5grs gave 2156 @ 43,200 cup. My experience with CFE BO has proved that when working with upper level loads things get hot quickly, slight increases resulted in a sticky bolt lift out of a CZ 527 in 762x39. If PC, which I have no experience with acts like conventional lubed cast, it might prefer something slower in burn rate with the heavy weight. BO really metered well through my powder measure and is my preferred powder with the Hornady 123 SST J-word. I’ve settled on 28.5grns which chronos north of 2400fps with that load. Think a starting charge of 20grns if you can stuff that much of the projectile in the case without it pushing it back out due to compressing the powder would be a safe start. I’ve had several of the slower powders push back on the projectiles which led to varying OAL when experimenting. Not a lot of room in the diminutive little case but possibly my favorite caliber to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Just curious. Are you folks using the SR or LR cases? I have both and am trying to standardize with what works best. Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    In my bolt gun I prefer the REM cases with a SRP usually the REM 7.5 bench rest because it is what I have on hand. Both work fine but I believe the cartridge was designed with a large primer because of the colder climate and subzero temperatures encountered in its home country. Some such as Larry Gibson and another report better results with small primer cases, one report on this site stated for subsonic he prefers small primer, didn’t state why. Personally, after I fire the case the first time I trim, chamfer, and deburr the flash hole both large and small. When I pushed the the upper limits with a jword and had a sticky bolt handle, I had no issue with REM small primer cases enlarged primer pockets, maybe that extra material helped. I don’t make a habit of it just during load development did I have over pressure. I backed off and have loaded those Remington cases around 5 times so far, just wish I could get some more. Another note I purchased some Lapua cases that have the large primer and when deburring the cases one out a 100 the deburring tool would not enter the flashole, with some effort it was reamed out to spec. I feel if I match condition brass, anneal between 3-5 loading (if I can get to use my buddies annealer) I feel confident using the large and small primer cases. I’m not aware of anyone other than REM that makes a case with the small primer, how about y’all?