RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balvar scope mounts

Banned

Balvar scope mounts

Found one of the scopes in Dad's stuff, pretty sure he never had it mounted on anything, but it looks to be in excellent shape and was thinking of putting it on something of the correct vintage for such a scope.

I have one set of the bases for a Model 70, but there is apparently more to it? Pictures I've seen have the scope in a set of rrings attached to what looks like a leaf spring that sits in these mounts for external adjustment (?).

I did find this guy, anybody have experience working with him? http://www.bauschandlombscopemounts..../mountlist.htm

You seem to see the scopes all the time on the auction sites, mounts not so much and I'm really pretty ignorant of how to move forward with this. Any thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    The old Bausch and Lomb scopes didn't have internal adjustments, the scope adjustments were done with the bases. The B&L scope rings have a spring loaded plunger in the back. This plunger pushes the scope forward and locks it to the bases. To remove the scope from the rifle you pull back on the scope and lift up on the front of the scope. Mounting is done in the reverse. You can then set the scope on another rifle with pre adjusted bases. The B&L scopes were among the best scopes in there day and cost accordingly. So if you had a number of rifles you could use the same scope on them as long as they had B&L bases. You didn't need to re zero once they were zeroed the first time. This allowed for a cost savings if you had a bunch of rifles. I've used there 2.5-8X and 2 3/4X scopes in the past. I still have a one piece mount for a model 70 but it's pretty scratched.

Worth the trouble of getting a base set for your rifle. That scope is so tough that they used to drive nails with one as an advertising stunt. My old Rem 700 has a Balvar 8 on it, and I'll never change it for anything else.

BTW it seems that Stith made bases, too. I have a set around here somewhere, so marked.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I still consider the Bausch & Lomb system to be one of the most reliable and simple systems ever made. Once you got the bases for each rifle, you were home free as the scope did not have adjustment, they were in the mount as already stated by david s. I never heard of one loosing zero after being zeroed in. Tough and reliable, that was the system. If I could get the correct mounting system for each of my scoped rifles, I would be tempted to get the and find me a nice Balvar Scope and sell my other scopes and mounts. my experience anyway, james

Banned

Well, now I need to get this figured out. I kind of wanted to do it mainly for nostalgia reasons, but if they're that good...

I think I'm gonna call the guy in that link I posted and see what all he has.

Yes, they're that good. Having no internal adjustments means no shaft seals to leak is another selling point. At the time, B&L optics quality was equal to anything in the world, too.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Yes, they're that good. Having no internal adjustments means no shaft seals to leak is another selling point. At the time, B&L optics quality was equal to anything in the world, too.
    That is good to know, because the scopes are all over Ebay, it's the mounting systems that seem hard to find. Guess I never thought about it much but fewer internal parts on a scope does seem like a good idea now that I do think about it.

Banned

I have a set of the Balvar bases for a Pre '64 model 70 (not on a rifle). Looking at these along with pistures of the mounts and can't figure out how this works. Seems like there should be some kind of recess in the bases that the bar on the bottom of the mount should fit into? Also, what is the star wheel for? Can someone with experince describe how one attaches all this together? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balvar mount.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	282675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balvar mount 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	282676

Boolit Master

Those are the rings and not the bases. The bases will attach the rings to the base and rifle and will have the adjustments in them. Look on ebay or youtube and you will see how they attach. It has been too long for my old memory(60+ years) to work to guide you thru the steps. You have a good start but will need a set of bases for your specific rifle. james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 05-09-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    The rings in the photo don't look to be B&L rings. On the bottom/left photo. The left side is the mounts front and the right side would be the spring loaded plunger side on a B&L mount. I'm guessing (by the rings shown) that what you have is a Weaver version for the B&L scope ring mount. A second guess is the star wheel unscrews/removed separating the two ring plate from the part that mounts to the scope bases (plunger piece on B&L mounts) and the scope that's in the ring mount is then placed in the bases and then the star screw is replaced/tightened.
    Last edited by david s; 05-09-2021 at 10:58 AM. Reason: to clarify

Boolit Master

My best advice is to call the guy in your link. If he is manufacturing pieces for the system, he will certainly know how it goes together and advice you. He might even have a copy of the old instructions, which I do not have any longer. Very few of the modern, younger crowd have even heard of this system. I tried Midway and the olny thing they offered on the subject of rings and bases was a brief explanation of the 3 types of modern mounts and rings. I may give the guy a call sometime next week myself as you have got my attention on this really great old system. james

Boolit Buddy
    With B&L bases (the part that mounts to the rifle) the scope tube actually sits on these not the rings. The ring assembly holds the scope to the bases. Using your bottom left photo, the left side of the photo shows what looks like an old style bottle cap lifter. The cap lifter part hooks under the forward bases cross bar. The cross bar fits in the mouth of the cap lifter. On the right side of the photo, the tapered end goes under the rear bases cross bar. The scope when properly mounted sits on the bases mounted to the rifle. The adjustments for the scope are in the bases. Basically the scope sits on two egg shape eccentric circles, one in the forward mount and the other in the rear mount. I forget which is which but one of the mounts adjust the elevation and the other adjust the windage. You have shown photos of the scope ring set up and mentioned that you have a set of bases, do you have the part that mounts to the rifle?

Boolit Master

One of the buttons on the website has product data http://www.bauschandlombscopemounts....com/mounts.htm which shows the two types of mounts, one uses a plunger, the other uses the leaf spring to hold the scope into the rings.

Plus side of the old B&L system: Tough as nails, a dropped rifle probably will still be zeroed, lots fewer places for water to get in, and great for nostalgia for the 1960s.

Minus side: Optics were great sixty years ago, but are average or less now compared to new, top of the line scopes. Sight adjustments are not precise, using opposing cams to shove the entire tube around, so once they are set, you get to leave them there. They are rugged, but plan on using extra ammo to get them zeroed.

Put the scope in the freezer to check for water leaks. My Dad managed to get his to fog by slathering Hoppes #9 onto the lenses, which ate through the seals.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 05-10-2021 at 08:40 PM.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

???? I zeroed the one on my Rem 700, all those years ago, by the three-shot method. It's probably still zeroed, nearly 20 years later.

Those who want to twiddle turrets with their fingers will indeed be disappointed - the B&L system requires a tool, although a coin will usually suffice.

Giant objectives and complex mil-dot reticles are crutches. Learn to do without them and you'll be a better rifleman.

Very pleased to see that someone is still supporting the system.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned

I have a sporterized '98 Mauser in 8mm-06 which I think will become the proud wearer of this scope when I can get it all figured out. Should be cool on an old school hunting rifle like that.

Boolit Buddy
    The quality of optical glass in the older scopes is vastly superior to that which is accepted today, and lense coatings are now required to work around poor glass quality. Same with vintage binoculars. Bausch was the best of the best, I have a Balfor 4x and it is crystal clear and built like a tank, if you've not given it a try don't fall for the marketing of today and states older scopes can't keep up with new production. These things were built to last. FYI, Bausch also made the lenses for the Lyman STS/JTS/Targetspot lines. Legendary scopes in their own respect.

BalSix would be perfect for that 8mm-06-you didn't say what X that yours is.
    The tapered crosshair was cool, too.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned

I need to go back out and dig it back out to check, I was thinking it's a 4 power, but could be wrong.

The link I posted is apparently dead, the page comes up but the phone number is out of order. Oh well. The good news is there is a guy on gunbroker with a whole bunch of Balvar mounting parts, I have a bid in on one now. I hope to get this together and get that rifle shooting soon.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I need to go back out and dig it back out to check, I was thinking it's a 4 power, but could be wrong.

The link I posted is apparently dead, the page comes up but the phone number is out of order. Oh well. The good news is there is a guy on gunbroker with a whole bunch of Balvar mounting parts, I have a bid in on one now. I hope to get this together and get that rifle shooting soon.
    I believe I have a set of B&L bases for a 98 Mauser (different fitment from a commercial Mauser). I'll have to check to see which rings they"ll fit. I think I may also have the old spring loaded plunger rings as described earlier.
    I have always been intrigued by Kuharsky Bros./ B&L scopes & mounting systems. I have those set-ups on two of my rifles.
    For your information, the spring/plunger ring assemblies were designed to fit onto one-piece bases made at one time.
    The ring assembly that you show are compatible with two-piece bases you see offered. There are two different lengths of retention leaf springs for the later ring assemblies....the longer one is for standard length actions and the shorter one for the shorter actions (Remington, Sako, etc.). It took me a long time and several purchases of stuff I couldn't use to figure it out. Also, if you fail score on the auction site, I might have what you might need.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly View Post
    I believe I have a set of B&L bases for a 98 Mauser (different fitment from a commercial Mauser). I'll have to check to see which rings they"ll fit. I think I may also have the old spring loaded plunger rings as described earlier.
    I have always been intrigued by Kuharsky Bros./ B&L scopes & mounting systems. I have those set-ups on two of my rifles.
    For your information, the spring/plunger ring assemblies were designed to fit onto one-piece bases made at one time.
    The ring assembly that you show are compatible with two-piece bases you see offered. There are two different lengths of retention leaf springs for the later ring assemblies....the longer one is for standard length actions and the shorter one for the shorter actions (Remington, Sako, etc.). It took me a long time and several purchases of stuff I couldn't use to figure it out. Also, if you fail score on the auction site, I might have what you might need.
    I have a mount set up on the way. The rifle is a sporterized 98 and currently has a Redfield mount on it, I hope there was some standardization about hole spacing among mount manufacturers. I'm really looking forward to trying this out, as much good as I hear about these scopes and mounting systems, I'm kind of surprised they aren't still made and sold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast