WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: 358158 re-visited

358158 re-visited

I started a thread on the bullet some time back, it is the old Ray Thompson gas check bullet, with two crimp grooves to facilitate loading ..357 loads in .38 special brass.

I loaded a hand full of these bullets in 9mm brass over 4 gr. of Unique seated to the bottom crimp groove. Weight in my alloy is 162 gr. without a gas check. COL is 1.122. These feed and function nicely in my Ruger P89, I finally got around to chronographing them with mixed brass they run between 1000-1050 fps. Primers are a little flat but other than that no pressure signs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	358158.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	282637

That combination won't work in many pistols because of all that exposed drive band. It would never fully chamber.
    Rather remarkable that your P89 has that much throat.

tazman

I have a number of 9mm pistols and my P89 and Ruger SR9 are the only ones that will feed that bullet. I picked the 358158 for a couple of reason the gas check base simulates a tapered base and the top driving bands are a bit smaller in diameter. The P89 is my test gun because it is so heavily constructed. I have seen posts elsewhere of folks shooting 150+ gr. SWC in their 9mms with the bullets seated out and crimped at the first grease ring. There was no mention of the firearm used.

I have a lot of history with that bullet, I bought that mold back about 1965, in those days I used to prowl the local gun shops and go through their used bullet mold bin. It is an old Ideal single cavity mold that cost me, as I recall $3.00. I was in the service then and not very rich, I would use that mold to make a small game load, my wife and I ate a lot of small game in those days. I put a gas check in the mold at the bottom driving band, that gave me about a 70 gr, wadcutter, loaded over 4 gr. of BE in a .38 spl case put a lot of squirrels and rabbits in the pot.

Thanks for sharing John.

More fun to explore with my my Model 10 and my rechambered .41LC converted to 38spl (Very light loadings). I'll give you a call.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Bob

The bears are out in the mountains of Oregon.. j