Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Star Super loaded chamber indicator?

Boolit Buddy

Star Super loaded chamber indicator?

I have a really nice Star Super in 9mm Largo, but the loaded chamber indicator is broken at the tip. Sometimes it jams on the rim and fails to go into battery; and sometimes it works but badly damages the case rim. How do I get it out? I know it goes forward to remove, by tapping on the end under the rear sight; but it won't move. Kinda looks like a pin under the rear sight might hold it, but I can't drift the sight either: feels like something holding it. None of the online "Complete Disassembly" posts cover this part. A little help, please?

Pretty sure that you're on the right track. If I recall correctly the indicator is held in by a tiny cross pin and the indicator just swivels up and down on it. It's been years since I detail stripped one, but I have two of them stored away and I'll dig one out and take a look. As far as I can remember the rear sight is a simple dovetail and should drift out. There's usually a vertical pin under the sight that retains the firing pin in it's channel, but that shouldn't interfere with removing the sight as the pin is usually flush in it's hole and the bottom of the sight is flat-- so your sight is probably just in extra tight. There is a ridge on the slide in which the indicator is located. Have you looked carefully for a tiny cross pin along the sides of the ridge? Anyway, I'll get back to you after I look at one.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, sir; that would be great. Looking from the rear, it seems the diameter of the indicator shaft would intersect the bottom of the sight. It's possible the indicator has a notch in the shaft, and it is the sight that keeps it in place? The sight itself will not budge, like someone glued it in. With my luck, the indicator shaft & sight are rust-welded together!
    Jim

Is this the style loaded chamber indicator you're talking about? I haven't tried it, but I suspect that it may run off the same pin that holds the extractor in. Have you got some small pin punches? Why not try driving out the ejector pin. This is best done from the bottom of the slide through the hole, driving the pin upward. When it is almost out you'll want to put your thumb over the ejector which is spring loaded and will push out from the side to avoid losing the spring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006794.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	282591
    If that's a wrong guess (at least you will have the opportunity to clean the extractor, it's recess, and the spring while out) then driving out the rear sight is the answer. I can see, looking at the bottom of the slide, the hole to the left for the ejector pin, and a hole slightly higher to the right which is for the vertical pin under the sight that retains the firing pin. Above the firing pin is another circular part probably retained by that same pin, and I no longer remember what it's function is, but it's possible that it has something to do with the chamber indicator, and you would have to remove the sight to find out. I'd try the ejector first. My indicator moves up and down very
    easily.

Name:	IM006798.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	282592 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006798.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	282592

Keep me posted. Turns out that I have 3 of these, this one and 2 Super As. This one is in mint, collector condition, and I don't want to remove the back sight, but if necessary I'll find one of the others and detail strip it for you.

DG

I would have bet you'd have gotten some other responses by now! I've looked for a schematic for this pistol, but can't find one.

It's been a long time since I've had one of these apart, and my failing memory is now telling me that if you take the ejector out there is a cavity behind the ejector where the chamber indicator is, and that it's just a small, chunky little part that runs up and down on a little coil spring. I don't believe that the back sight is the key to the problem.

Your original post talking about the possibility of a cross pin holding the indicator in rang true at first, but I was thinking about another Spanish pistol, the baby llama that works with an long up and down indicator that's held in by a cross pin.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Got it figured out, and thank you. I'll describe the whole thing here, for the next poor guy with this problem.
    Yes, it's the kind of indicator you show.
    Found an ancient parts list on-line; here is a pic of the part called "Indicador de cartucho en la Recamara." It's a long pin, with one end ground to the shape of the "feeler" head; and with a cross-notch for something to hold it in place. Note the picture is upside-down: the retaining notch goes on top.
    The "something" that holds it in place is the rear sight. Here's a pic of the rear of the slide. Notice the hole between the slide top and the firing pin; that's where the indicator goes. You can see the diameter of the hole intersects the bottom edge of the sight.

So, one drifts the sight off (to the left), then uses a punch to drift the indicator shaft forward until it falls out.
    By the way, you can just leave the indicator out: it has no physical purpose or value, you can see the rim of a case through the hole from the top, and the extractor also functions as a visual and tactical case-in-place indicator.

In my case, someone had tried to drive the indicator out without removing the sight, thereby binding the two together. I had to drift the indicator back, to free the sight.

Name:	Indficator.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	282618

Name:	Rear of Slide.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	282619

Glad you figured it out.

DG

Boolit Master

Cool............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Yes, very helpful to anyone else that may stumble across this...

Thank you.