WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Blazer .38spl brass is heavier than others

Boolit Master

Blazer .38spl brass is heavier than others

I was loading some mixed .38spl brass from a few years ago and noticed a good bit more resistance to seating the bullet. I weighed a few and they were 8 to 9gr heavier than other commercial brass. This may make a difference in internal capacity.............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Did you mike the case thickness & compare to other HS brass? Some of the additional weight may be due to a thicker base too. Or the metallurgy of the the brass Blazer uses. Cartridge brass is supposed to be about 70% copper & 30% zinc, but the mix can vary and may also contain trace amounts of tin or lead. Fiochhi and Starline brass appear brighter yellow to me, I assume because of the metallurgical content. Winchester & Remington look darker.
    It isn’t unusual for cases of the same HS to vary a few grains too. I only load Federal 38 brass. Have around 5,000 cases. I would guess their weight probably varies several grains +/-. But I never load 38 special hot enough to worry about case capacity.
    Do the rounds you loaded chamber correctly? If they don’t show signs of excess pressure I wouldn’t be overly concerned.

Boolit Grand Master
    My only experience with Blazer brass was a poor purchase on the bullet. I seemed to think the wall was thinner than the other brass I'd used. Once I made adjustment in the seating of the bullet, the Blazer was just fine. Too much trouble for me to deal with, so I tend not to use the Blazer.

Boolit Buddy
    I have developed loads using Blazer brass and it was just a accurate as other headstamps. But in loads developed for other cases the blazer brass doesn't behave the same. To the best of my memory it was good for higher end loads. A real sleeper is CBC brass, I think it is as good as Federal which is my favorite.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    Would you mind posting the weight of the sized @ trimmed brass with no primer?